Giant CFR Pro Series

DavidL

Giant CFR Pro Series

Postby DavidL » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm

I was lucky enough to get a Giant CFR bike from here: viewtopic.php?p=901859

When I got it home as luck would have it there was a matching tyre and bottle cage in the parts bin and I stripped the broken cycle computer off it and stuck the Garmin on:

So with a quick bike fit, good clean of the chain and checked that everything was roughly sound the sun was shining and a couple of rides were in order.

Essentially, though there was creaking coming nothing seemed to be frame based and so am taking the plunge to return this old beauty to service.

Has been stripped and some parts are on the way. Will provide updates at it goes back together.

- David.

DavidL

Re: Giant CFR Pro Series

Postby DavidL » Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Time to add some substance to this thread.

Managed to clean the last bits off the frame today and gave it a clean.

Headset back together after a clean and grease. A little water damage to the bottom bearing so will need to keep an eye out for either some bearing cartridges or complete headset NOS one day, but nothing that isn't completely usable in the mean time. Very interesting design the 600 bearing cartridges which could be considered over engineered.

Some minor nicks and marks are on the frame, but nothing that will be visible in these photos. Anything that looks like a mark will be reflection of the camera flash.

Biggest issue with the frame finish is the red/orange stripes are faded. They have faded reasonably uniformly, so unless you know their correct colour you wouldn't pick it.

Currently have the wheelset apart, rear has been cleaned and bearings serviced, front has been cleaned but haven't pulled the hub apart which might be tomorrows job if I get a moment before working on the groupset.

- David.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Mon May 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Wow, your Cadex frame is nice and new looking! Is the carbon weave on this that diamond look?

Looking forward to another being built up.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Mon May 06, 2013 10:46 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Wow, your Cadex frame is nice and new looking! Is the carbon weave on this that diamond look?
Yes, is a weave that has a diamond look to it. It actually looks transparent when looking straight at it. Kinda cool, but the camera doesn't pick it up. Will try it tomorrow in daylight and see if it works.

- David.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Tue May 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Have finally cleaned up the wheelset and groupset for this bike:

Rear derailleur got a new set of jockey wheels, and the brake set proved that Shimano has no interest in anyone servicing any of their components but they also got new bearing balls and grease in all the pivots.

Chrankset just got a clean up. I new set of chain rings are on the cards, but there is still life in them so that will wait for the moment.

ImageImage
Wheelset was cleaned and scrubbed. Some new bearing balls, mainly to replace the missing ones and plastic rim tape replaced with cloth. I am missing the rear Ultegra quick release so will need to try and track one of those down (if anyone has one PM me please).

Basic bike together now. Waiting on tyres and cables from the UK to complete the parts list.

Next item to attack is this for a strip, clean and a bit of grease.

- David.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 29, 2013 9:03 am

Wow, nice restoration! :D
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks Duck!, is taking me much longer than I planned, but it is getting there slowly.

Had the plan over the Queens birthday weekend to get this thing on the road, as all parts have arrived now, however due to family demands only finished the rebuild of the shifters.

What a bugger of a job, don't think I will be doing that again in the near future unless it is the only option.

Away on work for the rest of the week, will try and get the last parts on over the weekend and aim for a Sunday test ride. It is nearly there.

- David.

DavidL

Re: Giant CFR Pro Series - Back on the road

Postby DavidL » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:47 pm

All back together now.

Rear shifter is sticking a little as it doesn't like the grease in it from the rebuild (well the return springs are VERY tired and have trouble fighting the grease). Hoping it will free up with a little use though, or I might hit it with some chain lube, or WD-40 if it doesn't come better in the coming weeks.

Quick test ride this morning as the weather was just wonderful, was a very nice ride. http://app.strava.com/activities/61327419

Planned use for this old timer is Audax and general long distance rides and it is much smoother to ride that my main roadie which was the hope. Seat hurt the bum a little, but will have to see how that goes over some more testing.

Will rack up a 1,000km on it in the coming weeks and see how it battles on.

- David.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:34 pm

David, I envy your build!

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:09 pm

rheicel wrote:David, I envy your build!
Thank you very much.

- David.