Garmin Course and Virtual Partner question

biker jk

Garmin Course and Virtual Partner question

Postby biker jk » Tue May 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Does the virtual partner work properly if you use a course with stops along the route?

george-bob

Re: Garmin Course and Virtual Partner question

Postby george-bob » Tue May 07, 2013 4:12 pm

If you set your garmin to autopause when stopped for both the recording and play back then it does.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue May 07, 2013 4:20 pm

george-bob wrote:If you set your garmin to autopause when stopped for both the recording and play back then it does.
Thanks. It's set for auto pause on recording but how do you set it for play back?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 pm

biker jk wrote:Does the virtual partner work properly if you use a course with stops along the route?
I have never got the courses feature to work properly on my Edge 500. It is useless, telling me I am minutes ahead of the virtual partner when in reality I am minutes behind. I have even had it tell me that I am in front, then beep and tell me the VP has finished the course while I am 4km from the end.
An attempt to upgrade to the 3.0x firmware resulted in a bricked unit after a week or so of use on the upgraded firmware, but even on the 3.0 firmware the courses feature was useless.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue May 07, 2013 9:58 pm

queequeg wrote:
biker jk wrote:Does the virtual partner work properly if you use a course with stops along the route?
I have never got the courses feature to work properly on my Edge 500. It is useless, telling me I am minutes ahead of the virtual partner when in reality I am minutes behind. I have even had it tell me that I am in front, then beep and tell me the VP has finished the course while I am 4km from the end.
An attempt to upgrade to the 3.0x firmware resulted in a bricked unit after a week or so of use on the upgraded firmware, but even on the 3.0 firmware the courses feature was useless.
The courses feature and VP worked except that when I stopped for my coffee break since I didn't stop as long as I did on the course ride it showed I was a long way ahead of the VP. I thought it would stop the VP when I stopped and then start again we I started again. That was the basis for my question.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue May 07, 2013 11:44 pm

biker jk wrote:
queequeg wrote:
The courses feature and VP worked except that when I stopped for my coffee break since I didn't stop as long as I did on the course ride it showed I was a long way ahead of the VP. I thought it would stop the VP when I stopped and then start again we I started again. That was the basis for my question.
I found that this is when it goes all pear shaped. The VP merrily continues on it's virtual journey when you stop, but the unit gets confused and thinks that you are ahead because your time paused when you stopped.
I also discovered that straying from the course was far too easy, and this had a similar effect. That is, when you leave and rejoin the course, the VP had mysteriously jumped ahead of you, but the GPS says that you are ahead by time.
I gave up on Garmin ever fixing the problem, so I don't use courses anymore.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi