The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

find_bruce

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 02, 2013 1:03 pm

familyguy wrote:Regardless of law, I've taught my kids to wait at crossings till people have seen you. My great grandmother apparently tested this law and got knocked down and killed.
Road Rule 81 is still in the same terms Jim & yes I do the same. Many people will remember Sophie Delizio whose second "accident" happened while she was being pushed across a pedestrian crossing in a wheelchair. The fact that the driver pleaded guilty to dangerous driving occasioning GBH did not alleviate her injuries, being a heart attack, a broken jaw, a broken shoulder, bruising to her head, numerous rib fractures and a tear to her left lung.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 02, 2013 2:50 pm

Anyone want to find the Japanese equivalent legislation regarding zebra crossings considering the video is from Japan? :lol:

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu May 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Wasn't wearing a helmet. Still, it was a fair while ago.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article ... g=Walhalla" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Thu May 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Yes teenage boy you think you could get away with activating the Airzound on my bike whilst I was heading up the Travelator at Morayfield Shopping Center tonight.

Frankly you're a *&#$ing idiot if you didn't think I would hear it. Your mates are also idiots for thinking they could verbally threaten me after I told you to "pi$$ off" from the center. The last laugh is on you when I got the lot of you booted from the center this evening. :mrgreen:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri May 03, 2013 6:48 am

KonaCommuter wrote:From Japan

I see no pedestrian, just a cyclist who failed to give way to traffic.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 am

twizzle wrote:
KonaCommuter wrote:From Japan

I see no pedestrian, just a cyclist who failed to give way to traffic.

Sent from my iThingy...

I see a sharp motorist whose reflexes compensated for a child's lack of experience/comprehension
2012 Oppy A4

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 03, 2013 9:37 am

I may have called an inattentive Brisbane City Council worker an unpleasant word this morning as he was crossing the road looking back where he came from :shock:
he yelled out "come back here"
my response "come and get me"

human909

Postby human909 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:42 am

twizzle wrote:I see no pedestrian, just a cyclist who failed to give way to traffic.
And I see somebody who has little knowledge of bicycling in Japan and their road rules. :wink: :mrgreen:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 am

jasonc wrote:I may have called an inattentive Brisbane City Council worker an unpleasant word this morning as he was crossing the road looking back where he came from :shock:
he yelled out "come back here"
my response "come and get me"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 am

Huggies wrote:Yes teenage boy you think you could get away with activating the Airzound on my bike whilst I was heading up the Travelator at Morayfield Shopping Center tonight.

Frankly you're a *&#$ing idiot if you didn't think I would hear it. Your mates are also idiots for thinking they could verbally threaten me after I told you to "pi$$ off" from the center. The last laugh is on you when I got the lot of you booted from the center this evening. :mrgreen:
I'm intrigued. Tell me more. How would you not have heard the AZ if you were standing beside the bicycle when they tried to activate it?

Nice work getting them kicked out of the centre. :)

VRE

Postby VRE » Fri May 03, 2013 11:20 am

Summernight wrote:
Huggies wrote:Yes teenage boy you think you could get away with activating the Airzound on my bike whilst I was heading up the Travelator at Morayfield Shopping Center tonight.

I'm intrigued. Tell me more. How would you not have heard the AZ if you were standing beside the bicycle when they tried to activate it?

Nice work getting them kicked out of the centre. :)
He wasn't next to the bike, he was heading up the 'travelator' :) . I think it would have been really cool to ride the bike up the travelator, but that moment of fun would most likely have been quickly spoiled by the fun police.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri May 03, 2013 11:32 am

human909 wrote:
twizzle wrote:I see no pedestrian, just a cyclist who failed to give way to traffic.
And I see somebody who has little knowledge of bicycling in Japan and their road rules. :wink: :mrgreen:
Looking in the mirror again?

Japan requires cyclists to dismount to use a pedestrian crossing unless it is marked for bicycle use - basically the same rules as in Australia.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:34 am

twizzle wrote:Japan requires cyclists to dismount to use a pedestrian crossing unless it is marked for bicycle use - basically the same rules as in Australia.
Sounds like the bell law. The reality is much different!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri May 03, 2013 11:38 am

human909 wrote:
twizzle wrote:Japan requires cyclists to dismount to use a pedestrian crossing unless it is marked for bicycle use - basically the same rules as in Australia.
Sounds like the bell law. The reality is much different!
Nice apology. Well done.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:51 am

Your welcome! Japan has an amazing amount of bikes on their footpaths. And it works far better than here!

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue May 07, 2013 5:18 pm

A message for the cyclist who overtook me on the Koonung Creek Trail just west of Yarran Dheran Park, halfway down a steep downhill bend, at 4:50pm --- you're a bloody idiot. Regardless of how badly you want your Strava stats to improve, it's not worth putting other people (and yourself) at risk. Hopefully you'll grow out of it some day soon.

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Tue May 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Reporting myself tonight...

I was in the left lane, approaching a red light. Cars were in the right (going straight, as was I), but at the front of the line of traffic was a long truck and trailer, turning left (from the right lane due to the length of the vehicle). I know the light sequence there well and could see what the cross traffic had; no chance of a green (no left turn arrow) so I start passing the truck on the left, planning to stop in a visible spot once I got to the front.
Then I see the cross traffic get an orange. I sped up, but heard the truck move into gear, and as the cross traffic light went red the truck started to move forward and turn. I wasn't sure whether to stop and wait (I would have been in a safe spot due to it turning circle), but I was speeding up so continued on, thinking this could be nasty.
Made it past the truck and through the lights (heard the brakes as I entered the driver's field of vision). Could have been bad, but thankfully nothing but a lesson learnt (and quite likely an annoyed truck driver).

The zob

Postby The zob » Tue May 07, 2013 7:43 pm

Wow :shock: :lol: Hadn't seen this thread before.

The bloke riding south along Cheddar Rd in Reservoir this morning at 5.30am....the narrow, badly lit part? Try putting some lights or even a reflector on your bike champ. Or at least use the 2.4m wide shared path that was right next to you.

Hey....can we post piccies here? You know....to shame the recalcitrants? :lol: :lol:
I AM NOT AN ANIMAL!!!!!!! LOL

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed May 08, 2013 1:27 pm

The zob wrote:Hey....can we post piccies here? You know....to shame the recalcitrants? :lol: :lol:
It's been done before. Just make sure that what they are doing is actually dumb otherwise you may be lambasted for wrong accusations of calling someone dumb when they weren't. :lol:

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu May 09, 2013 2:02 pm

This morning. The two roadies who flew down Pembroke St across Epping Rd on the green left turn arrow without checking that the Ped's had a green (ie: Traffic on Epping Rd was stopped both ways. It wasn't!). They were very lucky that there was no traffic coming up the hill on Epping Rd, as they would have had no chance to stop.

Its a risky move at the best of times (ie: when you know the ped light is green) -- I understand people do it to avoid the dangerous ped/cycle crossing, but it'd be safer to just go left and ride with the traffic down Epping Rd.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu May 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Dumb cyclist? Me and anyone else in Perth who rode in the early morning. :lol:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Dumb cyclist? Me and anyone else in Perth who rode in the early morning. :lol:
It was a lovely morning for a ride! :twisted: I nearly lost an eyeball with a splintered end of a branch perched on a fence sticking out into the fwy bike path. And the City of Vincent van took the time to miss it while DRIVING down the path to check. Nice work fella's!

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu May 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Me, tonight.

Entering road from driveway on a steep slope with stopped traffic.

Went to power up the hill behind a car and discovered the chain had dropped some time during my previous coasting downhill -- clumsy stack in front of amused motorists.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri May 10, 2013 8:31 am

Red Rider wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Dumb cyclist? Me and anyone else in Perth who rode in the early morning. :lol:
It was a lovely morning for a ride! :twisted: I nearly lost an eyeball with a splintered end of a branch perched on a fence sticking out into the fwy bike path. And the City of Vincent van took the time to miss it while DRIVING down the path to check. Nice work fella's!
I sit a bit higher than most riders so I have been extra careful this week - there is a section on the PSP opposite the ROyal Perth Golf Club with some overhangings that have been pushed to the path and lower. It is not the only place.

I'm riding in the dark for for a half hour and when it is raining hard I have bright white rain in my eyes which makes it more difficult than usual to see obstacles so I have twice hit debris that knocked the uni out from under me. I'm guessing honky nuts which could be even worse for a bicyclist..

Be careful out there people.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Pull up to the crossing where the bike path is separated by a road, nod to the other cyclist leaning against the pole next to the crossing button, wait... notice the lights change and think that the green walk/cycle light should have come on, the other cyclist turns his bike around and rides off leaving me to press the button and wait.