Shimano? Freehubl needs two spacers?????

GH

Shimano? Freehubl needs two spacers?????

Postby GH » Tue May 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Recently bought some used Aksium wheels off here and today first time putting a cassette on them I find
that even after trying three new cassettes it needs two spacers in the back before the cogs are all pressed
tight against each other.

Cassettes were all new Shimano Ultegra ones with all the proper spacers and shim under the lock nut.

Can this be a SRAM freehub or something like that, I heard SRAM cassettes are a slightly different size to Shimano?

Any ideas and assistance much appreciated.

find_bruce

Re: Shimano? Freehubl needs two spacers?????

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 07, 2013 10:33 pm

How many speed cassette are you adding ? - IIRC 10 speed needs a 1mm spacer while 7 speed on an 8/9/10 speed hub requires a 4.5 mm spacer.

AFAIK SRAM are identifcal to shimano in sizes & spacing.

Also are you sure it is designed for shimano? I seem to recall something along the lines of campagnolo being wider, but never had to deal with that myself
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue May 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Something in the back of my mind tells me that Mavic freehubs for Shimano need the 'Mavic spacer'. With the Mavic spacer in place it is the same as a Shimano 8,9,10 freehub and therefore needs the additional 1mm spacer for a 10 speed cassette. Be a 9 speed retro-grouch and you won't need the extra spacer. :)
I understand that the Campagnolo freehub is wider than the Shimano one and Mavic would like the dimensions to be the same so that they can swap them over easily. What I don't understand is why they choose to fill up the space on the Shimano freehub with a removable spacer, surely a more permanent solution would be easier.

Cheers,

Cameron

GH

Postby GH » Tue May 07, 2013 10:52 pm

find_bruce wrote:How many speed cassette are you adding ? - IIRC 10 speed needs a 1mm spacer while 7 speed on an 8/9/10 speed hub requires a 4.5 mm spacer.

AFAIK SRAM are identifcal to shimano in sizes & spacing.

Also are you sure it is designed for shimano? I seem to recall something along the lines of campagnolo being wider, but never had to deal with that myself
I am putting 10 speed on it, which is what supposedly came off it.
The Shimano parts all fit on, I have no experience with campy cassettes so do not know whether the cog indexing is compatible.

I had heard that SRAM was 0.1mm different spacing, no reference right now, so my thinking was that 10 times 0.1 is 1.0 so maybe that
is why the extra 1mm spacer makes it all work. Will have to check dimensions of another freehub I guess.

GH

Postby GH » Tue May 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Ah thanks for that Cameron, that makes sense too. My first experience with Mavic wheels and its been interesting shall we say.

Will go look up "Mavic Spacer" on the wonders of Google.

Garry

GH

Postby GH » Tue May 07, 2013 10:58 pm

Seems you are on the mark Cameron, the magic of Google confirms shimano needs 2mm of spacer with Mavic freehubs.

Just as well I had a few cassettes with spacers here to play with.

Problem solved, once I get another spacer.

Garry

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed May 08, 2013 9:29 am

I believe the Mavic spacer is 1.75mm wide. See the article below which is very good on this topic.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Cassette ... _3257.html

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Wed May 08, 2013 5:58 pm

GH my 105 and ultegra cassettes normally need two mavic spacers on my ksryiums otherwise I cant shift up to 25 or 28. But normally its a mavic ed10 spacer and a shimano one.

FYi the ED10 mavic freehub is sram and shimano 10 spd compatible.

master6

Postby master6 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:10 pm

The mavic wheels come with a spacer, and shimano cassettes come with a thinner spacer. Both must be used. The mavic spacer goes on first.