PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Re: PSP-Cyclists critique of the infrastructure

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:31 pm

According to BWA and I quote:

A campaign organised by the Greens have made it easy for you to comment on the State Government’s bike plan! Get the ‘bike blackspot’ iphone app or log on to bikeblackspot.org to send tips, feedback and suggestions from your ride. The information you send is used to build a better network and lobby for serious funding for cycling.

However the URL is currently invalid. Anyone have more accurate details?

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:57 pm

BNA

Postby fixed » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:57 pm

the cult of apple, no android version?
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

2010 Planet X Stealth Sram Red; 2007 Giant City Pro; 2005 Orbea Vento; 2002 Giant Upland; 1980-ish Vandeveire fixt
fixed

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:00 pm

fixed wrote:the cult of apple, no android version?

No website so no idea.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:58 pm

Blackspot app for iphone now launched.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:56 am

CYCLISTS have identified a section of South Terrace in Fremantle as one of Perth's cycling black spots.

The road has been highlighted as a dangerous spot for riders through the Bike Blackspot iPhone application.

The complaints regard tight road space, round-a-bout confusion, obstacles, lack of bike facilities and the need for green painted bike lanes.

One comment noted a spot on South Terrace was a “death trap for cyclists.”

The app, developed by Greens Senator Scott Ludlam, allows cyclists to identify problem areas through iPhones.

It also allows cyclists to post positive comments, with two riders stating the area had good cycling facilities, highlighting the provision of bike racks.

City of Fremantle Mayor Brad Pettitt said the app could help the City prioritise projects and maintenance.

He said the City had already planned to install bike lanes on South Terrace between Wray Avenue to Parry Street to help improve accessibility for cyclists.

Queen Victoria Street and Pearce Street were also identified as areas needing improved bike facilities.

“Lots of new bike lanes, convenient end of trip racks and new on road bike markings will make it much safer and more enjoyable for everyone to cycle in Fremantle,” he said.

More in the Fremantle Gazette, Thursday April 24, 2012, page one.
Aushiker

Postby cavebear2 » Thu May 17, 2012 11:52 am

Queen Victoria Street and Pearce Street were also identified as areas needing improved bike facilities.

Pearce Street? perhaps this should be Parry St?

Well done to all people putting critiques in with the new app. :D
cavebear2

Postby VRE » Wed May 01, 2013 8:34 am

I haven't lived in Fremantle for almost 20 years now, but I've visited there as my Mum lives in South Fremantle. Instead of this piecemeal approach of putting bike lanes along sections of South Terrace*, I think the entire length of South Terrace could do with bike lanes. I used to do a lot of cycling in Fremantle, and South Terrace is definitely not one of my favourite roads for cycling. The section of South Terrace between Parry St and High St is also long overdue to be made into a pedestrian + cyclist mall.

* and subjecting cyclists to the danger of 'disappearing' bike lanes.
VRE

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 01, 2013 9:37 am

cavebear2 wrote:

Pearce Street? perhaps this should be Parry St?

Pearce Street is in North Fremantle and is part of the Tydeman Road to North Fremantle Train Station connector path. Parry Street had bicycle lanes installed in the last financial year.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby yellagonga » Wed May 01, 2013 11:01 pm

what about just pouring some leveling concrete on these broken sections? http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_pro ... e=products

If a few people chose 3 'critique' spots each, we would eventully fix it ourselfs and it doesnt take much.
yellagonga

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 08, 2013 12:07 pm

VRE wrote:I haven't lived in Fremantle for almost 20 years now, but I've visited there as my Mum lives in South Fremantle. Instead of this piecemeal approach of putting bike lanes along sections of South Terrace*, I think the entire length of South Terrace could do with bike lanes. I used to do a lot of cycling in Fremantle, and South Terrace is definitely not one of my favourite roads for cycling. The section of South Terrace between Parry St and High St is also long overdue to be made into a pedestrian + cyclist mall.

* and subjecting cyclists to the danger of 'disappearing' bike lanes.

For most of South Terrace, it is much safer to ride in primary position than in any door zone bike lane.

Edit: When I think of South Terrace, I think of the section north from South Street into the CBD. If I've got the wrong spot, and you're referring to the section of there, I apologise.
wellington_street

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:29 pm

The Riverside Drive RSP that was so resurfaced less than a year ago with a beautiful hotmix. Been a dream ever since.

However I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that much of it is now already being broken through and lifted up by nothing more substantial than cooch grass. And I am not talking just about a few here and there. I predict that the edges of this path will be seriously degraded within another year.

A pity.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Red Rider » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:29 am

There's a ~150m stretch of the Kwinana PSP somewhere near Mundijong Rd that has been horribly resurfaced. It is very bumpy and the join from old to new is jarring. It is strange because there is another stretch connected to it that has been resurfaced well.
Red Rider

Previous

Return to Western Australia