ACF Strava Club

jasonc

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby jasonc » Wed May 08, 2013 3:18 pm

gretaboy wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Once again 4 Brisbaneites are in the top 10 for the May Massive :P
must be more unemployed or retired people in Brisbane then :mrgreen:
Hey - I read that :lol:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed May 08, 2013 3:21 pm

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
must be more unemployed or retired people in Brisbane then :mrgreen:
Hey - I read that :lol:
yeah but it didnt relate to you...I didnt mention cripples :twisted:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed May 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Hahaha.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 14, 2013 10:03 am

This may have already been posted so apologies in advance but if you are a Garmin Connect user as well as a Strava user, this little application, GarminSync may be of interest. It allows you to sync in the background your Garmin Connect uploads directly to Strava and Runkeeper for that matter.

Regards
Andrwe

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue May 14, 2013 10:36 am

Nice. Sad that it is so hard to get these competing companies to play nice. Ultimately they have to either win by being better, or be friendlier than the opposition. Strava has a good relationship with garmin, why not integrate?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 14, 2013 11:43 am

Xplora wrote:Nice. Sad that it is so hard to get these competing companies to play nice. Ultimately they have to either win by being better, or be friendlier than the opposition. Strava has a good relationship with garmin, why not integrate?
Can you imagine the whines of protest from Garmin Connect users who don't want to be called Stravapests?

They'd be heart broken if Connect merged with Strava. :twisted: What would they use?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 14, 2013 12:55 pm

They could use BrytonBridge if they were really desperate :lol: .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 14, 2013 1:18 pm

ldrcycles wrote:They could use BrytonBridge if they were really desperate :lol: .
you'd probably offer to swap your bryton for their garmin too. they wouldn't have to pay you a cent? :mrgreen:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 14, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm just such a generous bloke :lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue May 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Please direct all generosity to Xplora at Sydney, cash accepted. All cheques made payable to Cash.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Xplora wrote:Please direct all generosity to Xplora at Sydney, cash accepted. All cheques made payable to Cash.
Hehe - didn't I remember you lost a ride courtesy of that Bryton whatever it is? :wink:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue May 14, 2013 4:37 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Xplora wrote:Please direct all generosity to Xplora at Sydney, cash accepted. All cheques made payable to Cash.
Hehe - didn't I remember you lost a ride courtesy of that Bryton whatever it is? :wink:
i'd love to see a study on what percentage of people who have bought a bryton end up buying a garmin anyway...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue May 14, 2013 6:31 pm

jasonc wrote:
g-boaf wrote:
i'd love to see a study on what percentage of people who have bought a bryton end up buying a garmin anyway...
If I'm your sample set, then you're batting 100% getting the Garmin. I'll pick up a 510 or 810 in the future (becoming a bit more pertinant as my miles increase and I'm inclined to explore a bit more), just wanted something to get into the GPS stuff at a reasonable price. Bikes aren't cheap, but the Bryton achieves 99% of the Garmin's really necessary abilities... although Adrian V has id'd an issue where it may only be polling every 3 seconds?! That's a deal breaker IMO, because i've gotten some spectacular segments that appear to be in multiples of three :oops:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue May 14, 2013 6:37 pm

Xplora wrote: If I'm your sample set, then you're batting 100% getting the Garmin. I'll pick up a 510 or 810 in the future (becoming a bit more pertinant as my miles increase and I'm inclined to explore a bit more), just wanted something to get into the GPS stuff at a reasonable price. Bikes aren't cheap, but the Bryton achieves 99% of the Garmin's really necessary abilities... although Adrian V has id'd an issue where it may only be polling every 3 seconds?! That's a deal breaker IMO, because i've gotten some spectacular segments that appear to be in multiples of three :oops:
I prefer a smart phone over any of the GPS units. It does everything I need and it is something that always comes with me. Everyone says they are not accurate but all my ride data is very close to my mates who use Garmins, even their data varies from unit to unit.

In the future all these GPS units will be rendered obsolete by better and better phones.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue May 14, 2013 8:06 pm

If the phones are sampling every 5 seconds, they are virtually useless for segment hunting unless you like cheating. I think Garmin really should be considering moving into telephony, because maintaining GPS as well as phone towers can't be that hard, and Garmin's GPS kills anything from Samsung or iPhone. I agree its perfectly servicable to map a route and get some basic figures, but half the fun is bettering your times... can't do that with 5 second intervals unless your intervals are 2 hours long :shock:

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue May 14, 2013 8:40 pm

Xplora wrote:If the phones are sampling every 5 seconds, they are virtually useless for segment hunting unless you like cheating. I think Garmin really should be considering moving into telephony, because maintaining GPS as well as phone towers can't be that hard, and Garmin's GPS kills anything from Samsung or iPhone. I agree its perfectly servicable to map a route and get some basic figures, but half the fun is bettering your times... can't do that with 5 second intervals unless your intervals are 2 hours long :shock:
I havent found any problems with my results for segments I have done.

Any segment under 2 min is a waste of time any way.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue May 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Not many segments around that long ;)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue May 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Not sure where you are getting the 5 secs from... going by Veloviewer my sprint segments are sampled pretty accurately ( problem is everybodies segments are different lengths, doesn't matter what you are using ).
The only thing that annoys me with my phone is I get ripped off about 10-15% on climbing... oh and I don't have pockets in my skin suit in tt's ( so it sits between the prolongateurs ) :mrgreen: .

Arty

Postby Arty » Wed May 15, 2013 9:25 am

Of course you've flagged your own rides as being inaccurate then havn't you Xplora?? :lol:
Told you to buy the Garmin!! :D :D

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 am

I don't see the phone obsoleting dedicated GPS bike computers. I used to use my iphone for Strava when I first got into it. Still used my old bike computer for all the stats I like to see while riding, and just had phone in pocket. It was OK, but I wanted heart rate, and I was finding on longer rides, my phone battery would die, and I would lose some of the ride as well as the ability to make a call in an emergency. I decided to get the Garmin 500 mainly for the battery life, but I love it and would never choose to use a phone again. I can put my favourite stats on the screen, and it is on an upfront mount that is clearly visible when on the drops, and the screen is always on without having to press a button to bring it to life. All that and my phone still has plenty of charge for other uses on a long ride.

The only frustration I have the Garmin 500 is the need to plug into a PC to upload data. The 510 has come someway to addressing that issue, but it would be nice if you could upload to Strava directly.

As for the sampling issue.... phones (and the Bryton it appears) are useless for shorter segments. Note that Strava could do a better job and interpolate between data points which would make this issue a lot less impact. I tend to think that once segments are over a minute (preferrably well over), that the difference is not that bigger deal, but certainly for short 30 second segments, the difference is enough to give a rider an advantage that even pro riders could not beat. I find that most of the shorter segments I frequent are effected by this, and it is a little frustrating that some riders have KOMs they really do not deserve. Therefore I concentrate more on the longer segments (but I will certainly take a shorter one if I can!!). I certainly think that anyone who is actively KOM hunting on shorter segments should have a Garmin or equivalent (Bryton is not equivalent it would seem), and should also use at least a cadence sensor to backup that they were riding and not driving, but that aint gonna happen!!

At the end of the day Strava is all for a bit of competitive fun, and I am not too concerned what anyone else is using, but if people are getting serious with segment times I would always recommend a Garmin.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed May 15, 2013 12:43 pm

http://app.strava.com/challenges/cyclin ... ssive-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
when do we stop for coffee???

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed May 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Brisbane has had beautiful weather I must say :P

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed May 15, 2013 2:59 pm

vosadrian wrote:I don't see the phone obsoleting dedicated GPS bike computers. I used to use my iphone for Strava when I first got into it. Still used my old bike computer for all the stats I like to see while riding, and just had phone in pocket. It was OK, but I wanted heart rate, and I was finding on longer rides, my phone battery would die, and I would lose some of the ride as well as the ability to make a call in an emergency. I decided to get the Garmin 500 mainly for the battery life, but I love it and would never choose to use a phone again. I can put my favourite stats on the screen, and it is on an upfront mount that is clearly visible when on the drops, and the screen is always on without having to press a button to bring it to life. All that and my phone still has plenty of charge for other uses on a long ride.

The only frustration I have the Garmin 500 is the need to plug into a PC to upload data. The 510 has come someway to addressing that issue, but it would be nice if you could upload to Strava directly.

As for the sampling issue.... phones (and the Bryton it appears) are useless for shorter segments. Note that Strava could do a better job and interpolate between data points which would make this issue a lot less impact. I tend to think that once segments are over a minute (preferrably well over), that the difference is not that bigger deal, but certainly for short 30 second segments, the difference is enough to give a rider an advantage that even pro riders could not beat. I find that most of the shorter segments I frequent are effected by this, and it is a little frustrating that some riders have KOMs they really do not deserve. Therefore I concentrate more on the longer segments (but I will certainly take a shorter one if I can!!). I certainly think that anyone who is actively KOM hunting on shorter segments should have a Garmin or equivalent (Bryton is not equivalent it would seem), and should also use at least a cadence sensor to backup that they were riding and not driving, but that aint gonna happen!!

At the end of the day Strava is all for a bit of competitive fun, and I am not too concerned what anyone else is using, but if people are getting serious with segment times I would always recommend a Garmin.
Sorry but people are kidding themselves that Garmins are any better over shorter segments... look at this segment.
http://veloviewer is broken/NewLeaderboard.ph ... Id=2433284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There is 80 meters difference between 2 and last place "by distance" ( both on Garmins ).

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed May 15, 2013 4:00 pm

All GPSs have errors in accuracy of the GPS coordinates. I have had my Garmin show me in the bush 50m beside the path I was taking. This can obviously lead to errors in segment times/distances, but that is fairly rare to make a big difference. I have only had this a few times in 100s of rides. But what I can guarantee you is that if you use a device with 3-5s sample rate, regardless of how accurate the actual GPS position it reports, because of the way Strava records segment times, it will read faster segment times more often than not.

There are multiple sources of inaccuracy in segment times. Having a fast (1 second) sample interval minimises probably the most common source of inaccuracy.... but it does not fix an inaccurate GPS signal.

I have seen way more inaccurate segment times from phones than from Garmins. But Garmins are not totally immune from this as you have noted.

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Wed May 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Has anyone using their iPhone for Strava noticed in the last week or so the GPS dropping out a lot?
Mine is usually fine and doesn't dropout but this week it has been dropping out multiple times a ride, the only way I can get it to pick the GPS back up is to turn it off and on.
Any ideas on getting it to work properly again?