Cyclist breaks collarbone after bum slap

biker jk

Cyclist breaks collarbone after bum slap

Postby biker jk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:17 pm

IF anyone recognises that number plate/car please contact the authorities.

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/cyclist- ... 2a17a.html

jamesn184

Re: Cyclist breaks collarbone after bum slap

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:51 pm

The burning question is why....

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 am

That's pretty sad. Pure stupidity and I really hope the driver and passenger are found, lets not forget that the driver is an accomplice.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:09 pm

The driver is more than an accomplice - the driver was driving dangerously if the vehicle was close enough to a bike that a passenger can slap the cyclist.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:34 pm

And left the scene of an accident.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Making it, literally, a "hit and run".

Throw 'im in with Bubba :evil:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Have had the same thing happen to me on Beach Rd one day although thankfully didnt crash but got a decent shock. Staggering to think some people are willing to risk the life of another for a cheap 5 second laugh. Seem to remember my pedal being awfully close to the car at the time so it would only take a small miscalculation by the driver to end up under the wheels.

Fraggle

Postby Fraggle » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Good work !

I ride that road every week, it's good to see the Police managed to track down the idiot........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed May 08, 2013 2:29 pm

$3000 fines each for the unprovoked assaults.

I'm reluctant to pass judgement without knowing the full circumstances of the trial, and only those who were in the court or have a record of the transcript would know the full circumstances, but it does seem a rather mild response to a totally stupid/potentially deadly thing to have done.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/art ... _news.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least their names are up on the interwebs for all and sundry to see. As well as a photo.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed May 08, 2013 3:45 pm

That's more than you get in QLD for running over a killing a cyclist with a cement truck! Good outcome.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed May 08, 2013 4:28 pm

misterhorsey wrote:$3000 fines each for the unprovoked assaults.

I'm reluctant to pass judgement without knowing the full circumstances of the trial, and only those who were in the court or have a record of the transcript would know the full circumstances, but it does seem a rather mild response to a totally stupid/potentially deadly thing to have done.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/art ... _news.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At least their names are up on the interwebs for all and sundry to see. As well as a photo.
Only disqualified from driving (in Victoria) for three months. One of the defence lawyers said "It was a moment of stupidity that no one at the time knew the consequences to,". Really? No one would know the consequences of such a dangerous action? What a lovely legal system. :shock:

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed May 08, 2013 8:02 pm

Under the new Australian Road Rules disqualified drivers, regardless of state of license or origin of disqualification will be recognized by all states.

It was part of the agreement that all states agreen to.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed May 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Comedian wrote:That's more than you get in QLD for running over a killing a cyclist with a cement truck! Good outcome.
And unlike the QLD truckie they pleaded guilty. Still not much consolation for the victim.

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu May 09, 2013 7:19 am

jcjordan wrote:Under the new Australian Road Rules disqualified drivers, regardless of state of license or origin of disqualification will be recognized by all states.

When did this occur? Do you have a link to this agreement? As far as I knew, the Australian Road Rules have no legal force, and I just checked the site http://www.ntc.gov.au/viewpage.aspx?documentid=00794, which says "As 'model laws', however, they have no legislative force of their own.".

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu May 09, 2013 9:14 am

VRE wrote:
jcjordan wrote:Under the new Australian Road Rules disqualified drivers, regardless of state of license or origin of disqualification will be recognized by all states.

When did this occur? Do you have a link to this agreement? As far as I knew, the Australian Road Rules have no legal force, and I just checked the site http://www.ntc.gov.au/viewpage.aspx?documentid=00794, which says "As 'model laws', however, they have no legislative force of their own.".
jcjordan is close enough for internet purposes, but as VRE suggests, it is more complicated, with each state implementing the agreement in their own laws & regulations & yes it depends upon the particular offence - see for example section 15(1)(a) of the Road Transport (Driver Licensing) Act 1998 (NSW) and regulations 42, 60, 99 and Schedule 1 of the Road Transport (Driver Licensing) Regulation 2008 (NSW).

I can't be more specific as there is no information as to the particular offence the driver was charged with (recklessly causing serious injury is not a traffic offence & does not come with a licence suspension). Similarly it depends on where the driver was licenced - Victoria, another Australian state or territory, New Zealand or internationally.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:51 pm

they now have criminal convictions, it seems. that will cost them a lot more than $3k.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu May 09, 2013 1:24 pm

VRE wrote:

Akl the states and territories had to agree on implementation of the laws to get most of the Commonwealth road funding from 2010
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:30 pm

disqualification is a licensing matter, it's not covered in the road rules.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Fri May 10, 2013 2:24 pm

jules21 wrote:they now have criminal convictions, it seems. that will cost them a lot more than $3k.
Yes. Good point.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 am

Bizarre:

(http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/genera ... ing/90937/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

"Court awards Merc a perk
15 May 2013. The driver of a luxury Mercedes, who had been convicted of recklessly causing serious injury to a bike rider, was given a day's grace by the Geelong Magistrates Court to drive back to South Australia before the cancellation of his licence came into effect.

Lee Clifford, 35, of Streaky Bay, in South Australia, was behind the wheel of the Mercedes 4WD when he and his passenger, Timothy Wall, 32, of Paraparap, hatched a plan to attack two women cyclists riding along Horseshoe Bend Road.

Wall placed his upper body out of the window to strike the first cyclist as the vehicle passed, and although he missed, the attempt caused the rider to fall, dislocating her shoulder.

He then struck the second rider, but she was able to remain upright.

The two men pleaded guilty to three charges relating to the incident on September 24 last year, including recklessly causing serious injury, and were each fined $3000.

The men drove off after the incident, claiming they were not aware that a rider had fallen and was injured.

Magistrate Stephen Myall also disqualified Clifford from driving in Victoria for three months, but the he delayed the period by a day to allow Clifford to travel back to SA.