Accident on Mounts Bay Road PSP on Friday 3rd May at c6pm

gingercyclist

Accident on Mounts Bay Road PSP on Friday 3rd May at c6pm

Postby gingercyclist » Mon May 06, 2013 10:24 pm

I had a crash on Friday evening heading home from work.

It was about 6pm and I was heading from the Narrows bridge and had got halfway to the Brewery on the PSP running alongside Mounts Bay Road. I safely overtook a couple of riders who were doing c30km/hr so I was probably doing c35km/hr and after getting a reasonable distance past them a lady coming the opposite way on a bike veered into the left hand lane directly in front of me. I remember calling out to get her attention and then trying to brake and steer around her before ending up on the ground and then being checked out and put into an ambulance for a quick trip down to the Emergency Department at Charlie Gardner's. End result was grazed elbows, a couple of bruised ribs, a big fat haematoma on my hip and 48hrs in hospital. Thankfully work have been understanding about me taking a week off to get back on my feet. In terms of the bike the forks were cleanly broken off and there is damage to the frame so I'm suspecting its going to be a write-off.

Anyway a big thank you to those who patched me up and made sure I got safely into the ambulance. I would also be interested in getting the details of the other person in the accident but she didn't seem to be the sort to be hanging out on this forum or able to even speak English for that matter...

gazman

Re: Accident on Mounts Bay Road PSP on Friday 3rd May at c6p

Postby gazman » Tue May 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Ouch!

Heal quickly. You are, relatively, lucky

giwi2

Postby giwi2 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:07 pm

I might be wrong here but I thought that given teh PSP is a carriageway road rules apply and because the accident involved injuries it is reportable to police. Therefore the police will have teh name of lady who veered in front of you. (apologies if i am incorrect with my logic)
2009 Scott Sportster
2009 Specialized Roubaix Expert

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed May 08, 2013 5:08 pm

That's assuming this cyclist didn't just ride off, as is the way with many.

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Thu May 09, 2013 2:10 am

Assuming that it is in the freeway corridor then yes, it would be subject to the road regulations. That being the case then this is an accident between two vehicles where the driver (rider) drove away without stopping or assisting. Given that it involved personal injury and hospitalisation then it is Hit and Run and a very serious offence.

I would report it to the police as such and demand that they approached it with the same diligence that they would if it was an MVA hit and run with personal injury.

Given the number of serious accidents in this area in particular if it was a road this would be a black spot, eligible for funding and the subject of increased police enforcement. Given that it is a cycling 'road' with a high accident rate between vehicles then this must, surely, now be a priority for action.

Unfortunately, the bureaucracy made up of sandgropers (in an environment made of sand) has evolved into sticking its head in the sand and does not see what it doesn't want to.

gingercyclist

Postby gingercyclist » Thu May 09, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks everyone - I'm reporting it now. The lady did stop but didn't speak any English and considering the fact that I was lying in a heap on the ground getting everyone's contact details wasn't my priority!

exadios

Postby exadios » Fri May 10, 2013 11:51 am

gingercyclist wrote:I had a crash on Friday evening heading home from work.

It was about 6pm and I was heading from the Narrows bridge and had got halfway to the Brewery on the PSP running alongside Mounts Bay Road. I safely overtook a couple of riders who were doing c30km/hr so I was probably doing c35km/hr and after getting a reasonable distance past them a lady coming the opposite way on a bike veered into the left hand lane directly in front of me. I remember calling out to get her attention and then trying to brake and steer around her before ending up on the ground and then being checked out and put into an ambulance for a quick trip down to the Emergency Department at Charlie Gardner's. End result was grazed elbows, a couple of bruised ribs, a big fat haematoma on my hip and 48hrs in hospital. Thankfully work have been understanding about me taking a week off to get back on my feet. In terms of the bike the forks were cleanly broken off and there is damage to the frame so I'm suspecting its going to be a write-off.

Anyway a big thank you to those who patched me up and made sure I got safely into the ambulance. I would also be interested in getting the details of the other person in the accident but she didn't seem to be the sort to be hanging out on this forum or able to even speak English for that matter...
First, as I understand it, you were on a shared path, not a PSP.

Second, if you passed riders who were doing 30 Km/h then you were going way too fast for a shared path. Those speeds need to be reserved for the road. That is not to say that the other cyclist should not have kept left, of course.

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri May 10, 2013 1:03 pm

So what sort of speed should you be tootling along at on the path then?

exadios

Postby exadios » Fri May 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Karati wrote:So what sort of speed should you be tootling along at on the path then?
At a safe speed.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri May 10, 2013 3:30 pm

That's certainly one way to look at it... :shock: Where did I leave my freaky friday straight jacket, is this a Friday humour post? :lol:

No sense in taking the silly bait.

Sinner

Postby Sinner » Fri May 10, 2013 3:35 pm

It's a Recreational Shared Path as shown in the WA Bike Plan.

Also:
9.2 Recreational Shared Paths
Recreational shared paths often follow river foreshores, beachfronts, heritage trails and large parklands. As such, they are also very popular with pedestrians and other users and, consequently, are not intended for high-speed riders and fast commuters and are not planned as direct routes to destinations.
Emphasis on the not intended for high speed riders.....

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Mon May 13, 2013 3:21 pm

yup 35kmk is too fast for that path, why not use Mounts Bay Road ?

still, hope you heal up well.... and perhaps get on the road next time
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie