Weight loss through cycling

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
malnar

Re: Weight loss through cycling

Postby malnar » Thu May 09, 2013 1:54 pm

I saw 'Eat, Fast & Live Longer' presented by Michael Mosley last Monday week on SBS & have been doing the 5:2 diet since. Basically on any 2 days of the week you have about 600 cal max. On the other 5 days they said you can eat what you like (so far I'm being pretty sensible).

I've chosen Mon & Thu as my 'fast' days, so this morning I skipped breakfast & have just had some veg soup with a slice of bread. Won't be eating again until 7:30 am tomorrow. The theory is that it helps prevent common cancers and promotes new neuron growth in the brain. Weight loss is not the purpose, though Mosley's weight & body fat dropped a good deal after 6 weeks. Very little study on humans done as yet. I haven't looked up what Mosley's been up to since he made the show yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01lxyzc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu May 09, 2013 2:17 pm

malnar wrote: Basically on any 2 days of the week you have about 600 cal max. On the other 5 days they said you can eat what you like .... The theory is that it helps prevent common cancers and promotes new neuron growth in the brain.
:shock:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 09, 2013 2:37 pm

:shock: indeed.

Nice theory... based on what evidence?

malnar

Postby malnar » Thu May 09, 2013 2:48 pm

Don't think there is much on humans yet. After watching the show I knew if I didn't start immediately I would just forget about it, so I started the next day as its simple to implement. My reading into is yet to come. In the meantime I don't think its a big deal for me to be doing this for a few weeks.

This link has some info, which I haven't looked at.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tony6463

Postby Tony6463 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Clackers and winstonw, think we are all on the same page here. A lot of the problem is behavioural/habitual based on a mythology pushed by the fitness and diet business. A lot of it is bro science with no basis in fact.

The other issue I see is that overweight/obese is becoming the norm and therefore accepted as such which is sad and therefore they don't see that they are the people the loss weight get fit messages are pushed towards.

Move more, eat less (and better) and have fun doing it.
Last edited by Tony6463 on Fri May 10, 2013 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

matagi

Postby matagi » Thu May 09, 2013 8:33 pm

malnar wrote:Don't think there is much on humans yet. After watching the show I knew if I didn't start immediately I would just forget about it, so I started the next day as its simple to implement. My reading into is yet to come. In the meantime I don't think its a big deal for me to be doing this for a few weeks.

This link has some info, which I haven't looked at.

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have been thinking about adopting this method, so I will be interested to hear how you go.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri May 10, 2013 10:43 am

Tbh, there are worse ideas than this. It is a method of calorie control that I can see some people will be able to persist with.

Didn't see on the site any outlandish cancer claims, though.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri May 10, 2013 11:13 am

Tony6463 wrote:The other issue I see is that overweight/obese is becoming the norm and therefore accepted as such which is sad and therefore they don't see that they are the people the loss weight get fit messages are pushed towards.
^^^ this. Since reducing to a normal weight, I have been told by more than one person at work that I am getting "too skinny". Of course I'm not. I am a perfectly "normal" weight with still a little too much body fat. I could lose some fat and gain some muscle, which would put me in the heavier but healthier category. In any case, I find it interesting that obesity has become so normalised that a "normal" person is seen as "too skinny".
Tony6463 wrote:Move more, eat less (and better) and have fun doing it.
This is great advice.
<removed by request>

Tony6463

Postby Tony6463 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:^^^ this. Since reducing to a normal weight, I have been told by more than one person at work that I am getting "too skinny". Of course I'm not. I am a perfectly "normal" weight with still a little too much body fat. I could lose some fat and gain some muscle, which would put me in the heavier but healthier category. In any case, I find it interesting that obesity has become so normalised that a "normal" person is seen as "too skinny".
Tony6463 wrote:Move more, eat less (and better) and have fun doing it.
This is great advice.
Sad isn't it how society in general sees things in this area. The other issue I have (and I am conscious here of hijacking the post and using my soap box) is that you can say how bad drugs, alcohol, abuse etc is and the impact it has on health and the medical system but you can't say that being fat is bad as that, out of all of the others, is seen as the wrong thing to say. We say how bad obesity is then we protect them as it's "not their fault" and it's not PC to say anything. :x

Off my box :)

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Sun May 12, 2013 2:10 pm

Hey there Michelle,

Keep cycling. Ponder the merits of adding some high-intensity interval training in there if you'd like more bang for your (time) buck, rather than adding too many more km per week (unless you have the time and inclination to do that, in which case, go for it).

Mostly, I suspect you need to address your diet, though. And the name of the game is consistency. There are plenty of websites or iOS/Android apps out there these days to help count/track energy input/output which some people find quite handy. In the first instance, simply keeping an _accurate_ diary of what you actually do eat & drink for a couple of weeks can be very informative, and act as a good basis for planning for the future.

Thirdly, ensure that cycling is not the _only_ regular exercise you're doing. I realise that may be viewed as sacrilege in this forum... :-) but spreading the workload to other muscle groups will aid in increasing the total work you do, and toning up bits other than just your legs.

Good luck!

michelle_s

Postby michelle_s » Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks everyone! So much helpful information :)

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun May 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Well, I just got home and have clocked up 600km in the last 12 days. Haven't lost an extra gram of weight...despite not eating junk.
Now on average, I allow for burning around 18Cals/km for my non race riding...so that 600k should have burned 1.5kg of fat.
Doubt I've put on 1.5kg of extra muscle...

Just goes to show riding, without conscious and informed energy input, is not the no brainer weight loss solution....at least for some.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon May 13, 2013 9:59 am

winstonw wrote:Well, I just got home and have clocked up 600km in the last 12 days. Haven't lost an extra gram of weight...despite not eating junk.
Now on average, I allow for burning around 18Cals/km for my non race riding...so that 600k should have burned 1.5kg of fat.
Doubt I've put on 1.5kg of extra muscle...

Just goes to show riding, without conscious and informed energy input, is not the no brainer weight loss solution....at least for some.
It also depends on how long you have been cycling for.

I am only guessing, but I would suggest that you have been cycling for years and as such your body has reached it's equilibrium point for energy out versus energy in. I would also guess that over the years your body is more efficient in it's use of energy whilst you ride.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 am

I find jogging and swimming (all strokes - yes, even breaststroke has its benefits) are good complements to cycling. Just don't mention the 'tri' word here. :P

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon May 13, 2013 11:21 am

winstonw wrote:
Out of interest, can we see your calculation, Winston?

Happy to play 'Spot the error', if there is one.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:10 pm

There is a show on tv tonight about 8.30 or so on one of the channels re "why we're getting fatter" or some such. Just a heads up in case anyone is interested in watching it.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon May 13, 2013 12:27 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Once you run out of glucose energy(from food), then your body will move onto the stored energy(fats). So as long as you can use up the amount of energy intake, then you will start burning fat to create the energy.

This is great advice. Tell Michele to ride whilst in ketosis up hills and in peak hour traffic. Bonking aka ketosis is very pleasant and healthy state to be in. NOT! :roll:
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon May 13, 2013 12:33 pm

michelle_s wrote:Helloo all!

I've been cycling about 150 to 200kms a week sometimes more and I can't seem to lose any weight. In fact I'm gaining. I understand I'd gain muscle in the beginning but its been months now and not a kilo down :( I've even cut down alcohol considerably and limited my calories to about 1400 a day. Someone also mentioned my legs are getting bigger which is what I definitely do not want.

I see all the cyclists out there and they all have skinny arms and legs so what am I doing wrong? Anyone have any ideas?
Michelle, you are cycling WAY more than my gf. You don't eat the same as her though and thats your problem. She has been eating a high carb, low fat, low protein, low sodium UNLIMITED calorie vegan diet for over 6 years now. LOTS of sweet fruits. We actually keep her training under 100km a week otherwise she would get too thin actually. She wants to keep a bit of curve. I sincerely doubt you would be willing to give up the fattening foods and replace them with steamed rice, vegan pasta dishes, fruit, sweet potato etc but I thought I would put it out there. My Mother is obese and always doing these fad starvation diets too. She says she wouldnt get enough protein as a vegan despite the fact the Guiness Book worlds strongest man is currently a vegan lol!

Vegan since 2001.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon May 13, 2013 12:34 pm

The saying goes "Abs are fo9und in the gym, but lost in the kitchen.

Exercise to burn calories off is significant but diet is more so.

However there are obvious other beneifts that come with the whole activity thing.

If it hasn't been already mentioned, bonk-training/moderate fasting regime will prime your body to use the metabolic apthways that burn fat after the blood sugar and other readily available sources are depleted. Good for endurance if you are chasing performance boost while also helping get rid of the visceral fat that is the big killer for overweight males. In practical terms one form could be to ensure no snacking after evening meal and nothing but a coffee and fluids when you wake up, leaving food until after you have done your ride. Esentially a 12 hour fast before exercise. And one that also raises your metabolic rate for a time.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon May 13, 2013 12:37 pm

cp123 wrote:There is a show on tv tonight about 8.30 or so on one of the channels re "why we're getting fatter" or some such. Just a heads up in case anyone is interested in watching it.
More exercise isnt the solution. How do you stay lean when injured or sick? Starve?

The solution angers a lot of people. The solution is....drum roll!....

You don't have to eat less if you just eat RIGHT!

Vegan since 2001.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon May 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Michelle - best to ignore durianrider's zealotry, a legend in his own mind. He thinks there is one and only one path to health and has low cred with his factoids and stuff including his own legendary achievements. (Sorry Durian but people are after advice, not religious zealotry. If they seek advice then we need to call out distractions to their search.)
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Mon May 13, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:02 pm

durianrider wrote:
cp123 wrote:There is a show on tv tonight about 8.30 or so on one of the channels re "why we're getting fatter" or some such. Just a heads up in case anyone is interested in watching it.
More exercise isnt the solution. How do you stay lean when injured or sick? Starve?

[/img][/url]

Well, we all know that you might not want to watch it - but there might be others that do. I'm just putting it out there. Let the others make up their own mind.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon May 13, 2013 2:31 pm

durianrider wrote:More exercise isnt the solution. How do you stay lean when injured or sick? Starve?

The solution angers a lot of people.
No it doesn't. You just made that up.
durianrider wrote:The solution is....drum roll!....

You don't have to eat less if you just eat RIGHT!
True, but eating right doesn't mean stuffing yourself with bananas all day until you feel sick. There are other foods that are healthy too.
<removed by request>

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon May 13, 2013 3:12 pm

I noticed DurianRider bringing in ketosis wrt bonking. And as usual not pertinant. Just fluff to obfuscate.

To put your body into ketosis requires an extreme form of diet over a lengthy period of time - al la Atkins diet. You will not readily get into ketosis. You need to either have an underlying (and serious) medical condition or you pretty much deliberately diet or starve to put yourself into that state.

Bonk training is not starvation. It is fair to say however though that, while it is worth looking at, it is contentious (though not as much as an atkins diet. Or thirty bananas a day).

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon May 13, 2013 10:54 pm

durianrider wrote:... despite the fact the Guiness Book worlds strongest man is currently a vegan lol!
I have no doubt that there are strong vegans. But selective one-off extremes are a poor way of supporting your beliefs. However, as always it's worth checking your throwaway factoids so...

Current record holder is Benedikt Magnusson
BOI: How do you handle nutrition?

Benedikt: Well, when I am gaining, I apply the see-food diet, in that I see food and then I eat it. I try to keep my protein intake very high; in excess of 300g a day from shakes alone, because I feel better and recover faster when I do. Aside from that, I don’t really plan my nutrition all that carefully. I just make sure to include lots of potatoes. I guess I’ve just never taken training seriously enough to have a set meal plan.
Maybe this week he is a vegan. Maybe not.

lol.

Guinness lists the man who has won the MOST worlds strongest man titles as Mariusz Pudzianowski - five wins and two runners-up.
According to wikipedia:
Strongman diet [edit]
Pudzianowski is liberal with his diet and is often seen tucking into chocolate, ice cream or burgers.[28][29] On one of the World Stongman events shown on TV, as well as in an interview for MTV, Mariusz when asked about diet said: "I eat everything. I do not follow any particular diet. I eat anything I want, anytime I want".[30]
My energy comes from my diet. Breakfast is 10 eggs and two to three pounds of bacon. Between meals, I eat lots of candy. In the morning, it will be several 3 Musketeers and/or Snickers bars; I need them for energy. Lunch, at 1 or 2 PM, is a double meal of a Polish pork chop, sauerkraut and potatoes. An hour later, I work out, then take lots of supplements: magnesium, creatine, amino acids, all that stuff, and more chocolate. Dinner is whatever meat I can grab—steaks, pork chops, bacon—plus more sauerkraut and potatoes. At 9 or 10 PM, I work out again. Afterward, I have a protein shake and more chocolate. At 3 or 4 AM, I wake up and have more chocolate, then go back to sleep until morning.[31]
lol.