The Steel Repair Myth

Cheesewheel

The Steel Repair Myth

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu May 09, 2013 11:40 am

Reading this guys article made me rethink automatically opting for steel bike frames for touring.

http://www.downtheroad.org/Equipment/Bi ... r_Myth.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Go!Run!GAH!

RonK

Re: The Steel Repair Myth

Postby RonK » Thu May 09, 2013 1:26 pm

The lugged and silver-brazed frames of yesteryear could have been repaired with fairly basic equipment and skills if a braze weld failed.

But if a tube failed, silver brazing could not be relied on to effect a repair.

And for modern frames with butted and tig welded tubes, such basic techniques will not effect a repair either.

So yes, it is a myth which is promoted and perpetuated by steel aficionados.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu May 09, 2013 10:02 pm

I agree it's less common to see frames fail these days, unless you're on a K-Mart special...but if I was in the middle of nowhere with a frame that needed welding I'd rather be on a steel frame than some other materials...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu May 09, 2013 10:44 pm

RonK wrote:The lugged and silver-brazed frames of yesteryear could have been repaired with fairly basic equipment and skills if a braze weld failed.

But if a tube failed, silver brazing could not be relied on to effect a repair.

And for modern frames with butted and tig welded tubes, such basic techniques will not effect a repair either.

So yes, it is a myth which is promoted and perpetuated by steel aficionados.
And even k-mart specials have opted for butt-welding over lugged.

I don't know if there were ever any lugged bikes of quality in the old days but I suppose if there were any then they would be a compelling option for touring in those 3rd/4th world places.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri May 10, 2013 7:24 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I don't know if there were ever any lugged bikes of quality in the old days but I suppose if there were any then they would be a compelling option for touring in those 3rd/4th world places.
I still ride two of them, and one is 32 years old still going strong, the other has a frame that is 64 years old. Of course I don't try any double table-tops or nose-wheelies on them..... they're road bikes after all.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."