Bellbird Hill

TimW

Re: Bellbird Hill

Postby TimW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:20 pm

stickgc wrote:Why would you need a compact?

I don't see how that would help go up a hill, but I suppose if looks are more important.... :?

:mrgreen:
Greg mine were cranks of course but, xplora did not tell me, or in deed, allude to the fact he needed THAT sort of compact, and some lippy(Put in for added effect :mrgreen: ) to get up Bowen,to each their own i suppose :wink: :wink:

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Look what i found :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:55 pm

rogan wrote:
leximack wrote:Rough idea on times is approx 35mins from north richmond to top of bowen...
31 minutes. :D
i meant "normal" guys :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:57 pm

TimW wrote:Look what i found :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

it definately is a steep MOFO :shock: :shock:

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:37 pm

Has anyone who has done Bowen Mountain checked out Magnetic Hill/Mountain? It's just after the crossroads of Bowen Mt Rd and Carters Rd/Westbury Rd (that's as far as I have gone up that way (I've never actually tried Bowen Mt)).

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Be interested to get some more info on that one. Have not heard of it. Tim

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:11 pm

TimW wrote:Be interested to get some more info on that one. Have not heard of it. Tim
I first heard of it about 20 years ago, and drove there with some mates. We had our cars in neutral, and put tennis balls on the road... sure enough, they seemed to roll uphill. We had a spirit level which confirmed we were actually on a decline while appearing to be on an incline... I think it has something to do with the lay of the land (rather than underground magnetic anomalies).
I've often cycled Grose Vale Rd/Bells Line of Road (either direction), but have diverted to Magnetic Mt a couple of times. Sure feels weird rolling uphill, and having to put effort into going downhill. It's pretty much right after the residence just after the cross roads, and goes until where the trees start on both sides of Bowen Mt Rd, right before the start of the climb.

rogan

Postby rogan » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:14 pm

leximack wrote: it definately is a steep MOFO :shock: :shock:
The worst bit is from the "50" sign on the left to that interestingly coloured car parked on the left. That must be close to 18%, that section. I reckon ~150 metres. The 100m after that, to where the double white lines ends, is probably still 15%, but seems easier.

TimW

Postby TimW » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks Kraeg, will have to check that out, sounds interesting :)

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed May 01, 2013 9:26 am

rogan wrote: Even on the steep section there are two or three flat spots. Of course, that means that the steep bits are actually steeper than the advertised gradient...
Its funny when a 5% section becomes a flat spot!! :)

But I agree. It seemed that you would go steep for 1-2 minutes and then ease off to gather yourself and then go up again. It is helpful knowing that when trying to push yourself to keep going when the legs want to stop!!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat May 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Praise The Lord I made it! Missed the turn off grose vale lol and ended up having to stop for a few minutes just past Wattle St. New lease on life after 2 minutes to get the HR down. I am now staying off the bike completely for most of this week, I was questioning the logic and the very point of taking on the climb in the last section before Wattle. 34/23 is Not enough to take Bowen. That WIFLI stuff would be absolute magic for such an enterprise. I did feel that it would basically render the challenge irrelevant since I did great with a 23, however I am psychologically quite destroyed right now. Also wanted to report that I had 110kms on the bryton at the end of the climb.

TimW is right about that descent. A car pulled in front of me just after the pinch. I was consistently doing 50-70 the whole way. I managed to hold 40-50 on grose vale rd LOL

Give it a go, if you let yourself take breaks then it can be done, but it makes Glenhaven Road look embarrassingly easy :shock:

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat May 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Well done Leigh, welcome to the club :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Sun May 05, 2013 1:49 pm

I headed up that way late this morning (diverted off Grose Vale Rd down through Grose Wold and back up to GV Rd (where I realised my bike computer had gone into Transport mode before I started out)). I had no intentions to try Bowen Mountain Rd, and didn't... though I did sit at the bottom of the climb trying to decide (a cyclist passed me while I was stopped) . But I need to get into shape (I don't want to come back down in an ambulance), so I might put it on my to-do list.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun May 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Honestly, if you can make it to the bottom of Bowen Mountain Rd, you could make it up BUT it might take an hour to do so. Coming back down requires a lot more skill and preparation, I was really surprised just how fast it is down there.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon May 06, 2013 10:04 am

Xplora wrote:Praise The Lord I made it! Missed the turn off grose vale lol and ended up having to stop for a few minutes just past Wattle St. New lease on life after 2 minutes to get the HR down. I am now staying off the bike completely for most of this week, I was questioning the logic and the very point of taking on the climb in the last section before Wattle. 34/23 is Not enough to take Bowen. That WIFLI stuff would be absolute magic for such an enterprise. I did feel that it would basically render the challenge irrelevant since I did great with a 23, however I am psychologically quite destroyed right now. Also wanted to report that I had 110kms on the bryton at the end of the climb.

TimW is right about that descent. A car pulled in front of me just after the pinch. I was consistently doing 50-70 the whole way. I managed to hold 40-50 on grose vale rd LOL

Give it a go, if you let yourself take breaks then it can be done, but it makes Glenhaven Road look embarrassingly easy :shock:
Well done mate!! Nice ride, and good effort to get up Bowen. I wish I had a 34/23. I was on a 39/25, and that was more than doable as Rogan has shown how to do it in style!! I will try my 39/28 next time. It is not a climb to be taken lightly, and I would not recommend it unless you have done some descent 200m climbs around Sydney first. I live in an area where I am forced to do a lot of climbing, and I have learned to like a good climb.

I took it easy on the Descent (riding alone and not knowing the road, I tried to play responsible).... I had never smelled the rubber on my brake pads burning before I did that descent... I was still doing over 40 using the brakes pretty hard... it is certainly steep.

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Sat May 11, 2013 2:35 pm

http://app.strava.com/activities/53527444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did Hawkesbury Heights and Bowen Mountain on the return home. Slow average speed as the wife came along for the ride.

I got up Bowen Mountain without stopping, I took it a bit easy so I would make it up in one go.

Almost ready for the Jenolan ride?? Haha

TimW

Postby TimW » Sat May 11, 2013 2:53 pm

michaelten wrote:http://app.strava.com/activities/53527444

I did Hawkesbury Heights and Bowen Mountain on the return home. Slow average speed as the wife came along for the ride.

I got up Bowen Mountain without stopping, I took it a bit easy so I would make it up in one go.

Almost ready for the Jenolan ride?? Haha
Nice work :mrgreen:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat May 11, 2013 6:02 pm

I have to report you to the police, michael... that's surely spousal abuse. I can imagine waking up trying to hold my organs into my stomach cavity after my wife had a psychological break trying to do that ride :shock: Good ride!

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Sat May 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Well we just bought her a new BMC roadracer. This was planned for her to ride on that with compact cranks and 28 cassette, unfortunately the bike arrived with standard cranks and 25 cassette! A phone call to the bike shop and I have to return the cranks and cassette so the new bike remains unused. She rode it on her alloy Specialized Allez, standard cranks and 25 cassette. She waited at the bottom of Bowen Mountain for me. She said riding up from North Richmond she was swearing and cursing me the whole way up! There were some moments of tension! Hahaha!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun May 12, 2013 10:10 am

BWHAHAHAHA

I found the ride to the bottom of Bowen Mountain Road to be fairly reflective of the riding I've done in that area, a nice rolling road with pretty scenery, nothing particularly special about it (as far as a challenge goes). I was basically keeping my powder dry and my focus for the final push though, bit hard to smell the roses when you are preparing for sulphur and brimstone :D

eon

Postby eon » Wed May 15, 2013 2:38 pm

All this talk of Bowen, i'm thinking i should visit soon. Been a while since i've been there and am sure I'll be suffering like a little b1tch..

Another goodie is Bell Line + Warks Hill rd
http://app.strava.com/activities/24836357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Col de Wark is 5.6km and i tell ya, it has BOWEN imbeded within it.
http://app.strava.com/activities/24836357#443310934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone planning to do an early Sunday morning to either hills, let me know. I'll come n latch on.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed May 15, 2013 4:04 pm

You're doing hill repeats on a Cat 2 climb? :lol: You're a bad man, Ehly... my knee is feeling awful right now, might have been good for an attempt but I'm worried I won't survive the commutes, let alone the bunch or bonus kms...

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Wed May 15, 2013 7:24 pm

eon wrote:All this talk of Bowen, i'm thinking i should visit soon. Been a while since i've been there and am sure I'll be suffering like a little b1tch..

Another goodie is Bell Line + Warks Hill rd
http://app.strava.com/activities/24836357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Col de Wark is 5.6km and i tell ya, it has BOWEN imbeded within it.
http://app.strava.com/activities/24836357#443310934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone planning to do an early Sunday morning to either hills, let me know. I'll come n latch on.
How's the traffic on Bells Line on Sunday mornings up there? What time do you try and get there?

I'm keen to give Bells Line a go, although you would power away from me in the first few metres! :oops:

eon

Postby eon » Thu May 16, 2013 9:25 am

michaelten wrote:How's the traffic on Bells Line on Sunday mornings up there? What time do you try and get there?
traffic at the time i go in the morn is minimal.
mind you i head out at 5am, earlier if Greg comes.
it gets busy on the way back at about 8-9

I try to get there about 6:30am. takes about 1.5 to get there from Baulkham Hills. depending on how the leg feels, will try and do a lap or 2.
Sun i need to get back by 9 hence the early start.
Xplora wrote:You're a bad man, Ehly
lol this was a while back now.

this one I did over a year ago now
http://app.strava.com/activities/7076137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i look back at it and think, WT-F was I on.
michaelten wrote:I'm keen to give Bells Line a go, although you would power away from me in the first few metres!
I doubt that, i havent been to Bowen or Kurajong or Haweksbury lookout in a while. most my riding had been on the M7 where eliz drive is the biggest climb. =P
I'm keen to go to the mountains just gotta get my arse out of bed early and go.
oh and some company would be good too.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu May 16, 2013 12:23 pm

I think you might have been visiting your friend Dr Ferrari :shock: LMAO preparing for a run at the pro circuit? My heart turns to dust just looking at that graph...