Race Report Thread

philip

Re: Race Report Thread

Postby philip » Tue May 07, 2013 8:33 am

mikesbytes wrote:Is that Calga the one just north of Sydney? If so I didn't know they raced there, just TT
Throughout winter they have a road race on Saturday afternoons, same course as the 25km TT course, normally 2-3 laps. It's a really good race to do if you can get up there. Their website/twitter doesn't seem to have any updated info though.

filip

Postby filip » Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 am

Hi Stevecassidy, schedule below - normally every saturday 2pm, except when there is a long week-end (not allowed by police) or it clashes with a central division race. This saturday it's a handicap, open for all. All calga races are open for all except the club championship. Calga is north of sydney (peats ridge), and the race is on the 25km TT course x 2 laps. Every month there is 1 race on sunday 9am instead of sat 2pm.

May Saturday 4 Pushy Galore Challenge Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E - 25
May Saturday 11 CCCC Road Race - Caltex Hcp Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E - 25
May Saturday 18 Central Div. Aged ChampionshipWybong 1.30pm Central Division Muswellbrook club
May Sunday 26 CCCC Road Race Calga 9am A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E - 25

June Saturday 1 CCCC Graded Championships Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E - 25
June Saturday 8 CCCC Road Race Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E - 25
June Saturday 15 Central Division Graded Championship Calga 1.30pm A 75 - B 75 - C 50 - D 50 - (E 25)
June Saturday 22 CCCC Road Race Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E 25
June Sunday 30 CCCC Road Race Calga 9am A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E 25

July Saturday 6 Central Division Race Wootton 1.30pm Graded races
July Saturday 13 CCCC Road Race Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E 25
July Saturday 20 CCCC Road Race Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E 25
July Sunday 28 CCCC Road Race - Ray Piper Hcp Calga 9am Ray Piper Hcp 50 km - E 25km

August Saturday 3 CCCC Road Race Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E 25
August Saturday 10 CCCC Road Race Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E 25
August Saturday 17 CCCC Road Race Peter Parkinson Hcp Calga 2pm Peter Parkinson Hcp 50km - E 25
August Sunday 25 CCCC Aged Championship Calga 9am A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E 25

September Saturday 7 CCCC Road Race Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E 25
September Saturday 14 CCCC Road Race Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E 25
September Saturday 21 CCCC Road Race Calga 2pm A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E 25
September Sunday 29 CCCC Road Race Calga 9am A 50 - B 50 - C 50 - D 50 - E 25

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Tue May 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Excellent, thanks filip, I'll try to make some of those, maybe the 26th might be the go.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu May 09, 2013 12:13 am

Super race report... I lasted 3 laps of 15. Turned up late ( but with plenty of warm up ) , no time for a lap though, but I knew I was in trouble just looking at the climb up to the finish, turned out there were 3 climbs, plus it was hot... yeah not for me!. My iPhone always underestimates climbing... apparently it was about 95-100 m climbing per lap, 15 laps... 1500m in 69 kms. I lost contact every lap, but on the 3rd lap I lost it for good.
Glad I rode there and back otherwise it would have been a short day!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Better race report for yesterday... finished in the bunch :lol: ... 73km at 39.2 av, the difference a cooler day and rolling hills makes compared to heat and pinch climbs!.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 11, 2013 8:48 am

How hot was it TLL? I didn't think it would be real hot there yet or are you just gettin soft? :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat May 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Congrats to Mr Golf, who just had his third straight win in Vets A grade (74km, 600M+ of climbing). As there isn't an A+ grade, the other club members have decided he will pick up 1Kg weight penalties until he stops winning. :P

Back in B, we got spanked by a tandem. I came 5'th. I beat Ross in the sprint to the line, but it's a hollow "victory" as he worked his arse off on the front.

And, thankfully, neither of us arrived at the finish line covered in puke... like of one the other riders tagging along in our grade.

[Edit: 3'rd straight win, not 2'nd!]
Last edited by twizzle on Sat May 11, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 11, 2013 7:14 pm

foo on patrol wrote:How hot was it TLL? I didn't think it would be real hot there yet or are you just gettin soft? :lol:

Foo
Wasn't hot at all mate... 26C or so, but I have hardly ridden let alone raced in anything over 20 since September last year... takes a while to used to it. Still I am glad it is only going to be around 12C for tomorrows race... more of a chance I will survive a few laps. Actually don't want to go as I haven't got the form...and have other obligations, but I am pre-entered so haven't got a choice.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat May 11, 2013 8:21 pm

Race report: A Grade Vets Yass road race 74kms, 850m climb, 36.9kmh av, 2hrs 16 sec ride time.

10 A graders started at a fairly tame pace with a few small pushes in the first 8kms. Then the first big climb. Long and steep. Another climber and I had agreed to hurt the sprinters at any opportunity so I upped the pace just enough to make them work hard. The bunch splintered with only one hanging on to my wheel. I was toying at that point and slowed up, but the other guy told me I should go. I didnt want to run 65kms as a TT with only one helper so I eased up to try and bring the front of the bunch back, but they never did.

I felt good, so when they didnt make contact after the climb, I just rode tempo at a pace I knew I could maintain for 60kms, albeit without knowing the course. The other guy in our break wasnt taking any turns and just stayed on my wheel, but I felt comfortable I could maintain the pace solo. At the first turn point, we had about 30sec on the chasers, a splintered group of 3. I took heart and pushed on, with my accomplice taking some shorter turns on the downhills, which helped because he was bigger than me.

We maintained pace as the av climbed up over 36kmh and the next leg was a long slight downhill with a couple of pinches. Knowing our abilities on hills, I suggested we conserve a bit and push out the advantage on the return leg. By the next turnaround we had well over a minute and I still felt strong, which was good as I was doing more than 90% of the pace making. The only slight concern was my mate in B grade riding a tandem not too far from the chasing A graders. I figured if the flat course offered them that much advantage then they could catch us and tow the A graders back on. I knew there was a really long false flat and a few pinches so we would be fairly safe, but there was no room for easing up.

The road was shocking in places and we hit a pothole hidden by shadows which nearly knocked my co-rider off his bike as he was taking a drink. We regrouped and maintained pace. With 20kms to go, my legs felt each little pinch, but we still maintained speed and pushed up to 36.6 av. At the final intersection with 10km to go, I knew we were home and hosed, but there was a long descent to worry about a tandem catching us and I had to worry about my accomplice coming through and taking the sprint at the end. He is a notorious crit rider, so obviously had a sprint. We passed the lower grades on the home leg and got ready for the final push. I hit the climbs hard but couldnt unhitch the other rider. I hoped he would honour the amount of work I put in but it wasnt guaranteed. Into the last km, I upped the pace but he still held my wheel. Nothing seemed to be working and my legs were hurting. Of the 64kms of breakaway, I had been on the front for about 60kms.

into the last 500m, I got out of the saddle and surged, hoping I wouldnt get passed. Coming across the finish, I breathed a sigh of relief that I had held on. My co-breaker assured me he was spent, but he also admitted he wasnt about to try to take the win away after the work put in. Either way, average speed made me happy and snapping up my 3rd win from 3 on different courses was immensely satisfying.

Next week: back to the hills. This racing malarky is good value. Kind of got in trouble for being out so long though. Leave passes for racing may be handed out a little more reluctantly in future. God bless my beautiful partner. She's lovely.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/activities/535454 ... '></iframe>

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat May 11, 2013 9:29 pm

twizzle wrote:Congrats to Mr Golf, who just had his second straight win in Vets A grade (74km, 600M+ of climbing). As there isn't an A+ grade, the other club members have decided he will pick up 1Kg weight penalties until he stops winning. :P

Back in B, we got spanked by a tandem. I came 5'th. I beat Ross in the sprint to the line, but it's a hollow "victory" as he worked his arse off on the front.

And, thankfully, neither of us arrived at the finish line covered in puke... like of one the other riders tagging along in our grade.
Tandem doesn't count IMO. If I'd had more help at the front we might have been able to catch it, or at least keep it in sight. However it sucks getting spanked by a wheelsucking A grader who pleaded with the handicapper to go down a grade because he had a bad race the week before. I've had dozens of bad races, I just keep trying and keep training. It was hard too not knowing where the finish was. RD said it was 77km, it was actually 74km...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat May 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Ross wrote:
twizzle wrote:Congrats to Mr Golf, who just had his second straight win in Vets A grade (74km, 600M+ of climbing). As there isn't an A+ grade, the other club members have decided he will pick up 1Kg weight penalties until he stops winning. :P

Tandem doesn't count IMO. If I'd had more help at the front we might have been able to catch it, or at least keep it in sight. However it sucks getting spanked by a wheelsucking A grader who pleaded with the handicapper to go down a grade because he had a bad race the week before. I've had dozens of bad races, I just keep trying and keep training. It was hard too not knowing where the finish was. RD said it was 77km, it was actually 74km...
Twiz shnievling again huh? :lol:
who pleaded with the handicapper to go down a grade because he had a bad race the week before
It would take me 16 months minimum to go down a grade... a whole year without being in the first 5, plus being dropped multiple times... then in the next season applying for a downgrade after 5 races before a panel... then not being able to finish in the first 5 for the rest of that year :roll:

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat May 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Cheers, Twiz. 3rd win, too. Genuinely surprised.

Having ridden some tandem, its tough. Ash is a mofo of a rider and he was in threshold for 80% of the ride. The flat nature of the course meant it had a slight advantage, but next week, it will even up. Its a shame the big B grade pack didnt work together more. Sounds like Ross and you worked fairly hard.

I saw the spew guy. Wow. That would be unpleasant. Hope he had a change of clothes for the home trip.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat May 11, 2013 9:52 pm

No, TLL, Ross didn't mean me. But I agree with his sentiment.
Re. the tandem, when they got away I was on the front of the bunch, they were pulling away and I was putting out ~380w at the time. Given the course, I didn't think they would stay away... and if they did, then they were in the wrong grade - and that's pretty much how it turned out.
And I didn't do anywhere near as much work as Ross... although I did a few turns to keep the pace up on the flat.

BTW - did anyone else notice we were racing with Michael Hanslip?

Sent from my iThingy...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat May 11, 2013 10:02 pm

twizzle wrote:No, TLL, Ross didn't mean me. But I agree with his sentiment.
Re. the tandem, when they got away I was on the front of the bunch, they were pulling away and I was putting out ~380w at the time. Given the course, I didn't think they would stay away... and if they did, then they were in the wrong grade - and that's pretty much how it turned out.
And I didn't do anywhere near as much work as Ross... although I did a few turns to keep the pace up on the flat.

BTW - did anyone else notice we were racing with Michael Hanslip?

Sent from my iThingy...
I did but then thats where I graded him
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat May 11, 2013 10:04 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Ross wrote:

Twiz shnievling again huh? :lol:
who pleaded with the handicapper to go down a grade because he had a bad race the week before
It would take me 16 months minimum to go down a grade... a whole year without being in the first 5, plus being dropped multiple times... then in the next season applying for a downgrade after 5 races before a panel... then not being able to finish in the first 5 for the rest of that year :roll:
We dont use the more formal point/cat tupe of grading in Australia.

Although I suspect that the CA clubs might be moving in that direction
James

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat May 11, 2013 11:01 pm

Ross wrote:

How hard can it be to look at your trip meter at the Y junction and see that it was 10km from the start? That's not the RD's fault.
mrgolf wrote: Cheers, Twiz. 3rd win, too. Genuinely surprised.

Having ridden some tandem, its tough. Ash is a mofo of a rider and he was in threshold for 80% of the ride. The flat nature of the course meant it had a slight advantage, but next week, it will even up. Its a shame the big B grade pack didnt work together more. Sounds like Ross and you worked fairly hard.

I saw the spew guy. Wow. That would be unpleasant. Hope he had a change of clothes for the home trip.
Maybe the extra bit you rode was flat, but the course I rode wasn't. Any hill that lets you get over 90km/h on the descent is significant in my book and I even had to use the 34 tooth cog at times. E grade detonated on the way up said hill and only got together on on the odd bits where the fast descenders caught the fast climbers. The biggest group I saw after that had 3 riders in it.

That said I enjoyed the course, so pleased to be in a club that is trying new race venues. Seems others agreed, quite a good turn out today.

Cheers,

Cameron

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Sun May 12, 2013 12:16 pm

PDCC D Grade - Doghill

After feeling quite strong in last weeks race I decided that for this race I would try and conserve my energy and save myself for a final sprint. Although I've been racing for almost a year, I've never actually been in a position where I was amongst the action with 200m to go, generally I've been mid pack or in a small breakaway, so it was going to be the first test of my sprint in a race situation.

I don't know what I was thinking but 3 or so minutes into the race and I was 50m off the front with another rider working to make our breakaway stick. My heart rate was at 90% max and there was still about 40km left to race, so I was not exactly conserving my energy. After 2-3km I realised we weren't making any progress so I sat up and rejoined the bunch, my fellow breakaway rider continued on for another lap (approx 10km). I thought to myself "Okay, that was dumb, but there is still a lot of time to recover.". 5 minutes later I put in a small dig up the short hill and found myself off the front again, this didn't bother me though as I didn't have to dig too deep, but it was pointless. On the second last lap I put in another small dig up a minor hill and was off the front again, I think this keeps happening because I'm quite a bit lighter than the other racers so I can get up the hills fairly easy, but once I'm off the front in the wind my weak muscular endurance comes into play and I start suffering. Thankfully Nick realised the bunch were just leaving me out to dry and so closed the gap to put me out of my misery. As is clearly evident, I was not racing a smart race.

I finally settled down as the bell was rung for the last lap and got comfortable sitting on 4th or 5th wheel. With about 3km to go a strong rider attacked and got a gap of 50metres almost instantly. No one was willing/able to chase him down, but lucky for me the new (and very strong) rider in front of me was going to catch him or die trying, put simply I had a good wheel. The breakaway rider was swallowed up with 400m to go, and with nothing but air between the guys at the front and the finish line, the adrenaline got the better of the rider who was now in front of me (once again, a first time racer) and he launched his sprint. I couldn't believe my luck, with 400m to go I had my own lead out man who was insuring that I wasn't going to be swamped or boxed in. Before the race I had taken note of a car which was about 150m from the finish line, just before we passed the car I allowed a small (50cm) gap to form between me and the rider in front which I used to launch my sprint in the shelter of the slipstream. I finally passed the rider in front with 100m to go and ended up winning in my first bunch sprint by about a bike length!

Comparing my top speed to the top speeds of other riders' sprints from the crit season, I was a good 2-3kmph slower. This may be that the fast men weren't feeling good or perhaps it was because the road races are more than twice the length of the crits and so they weren't as fresh. Next weeks race includes some short sharp hills which should suit me, so if I do okay hopefully I will be in C grade soon :)

I was able to get the finish line photo from the race organisers, presumably the finish line is just left of the shot.

Edited - Spelling

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 12, 2013 1:30 pm

A good result for you Cant_stop and smart riding! 8)

Are you trying to catch flies? :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Sun May 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks Foo, not trying to catch flies, just trying to breathe!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun May 12, 2013 1:43 pm

So OT it's not funny.... but it's caption time. :D
cant_stop wrote: Image
Loooooseeeeerrrrssssss!

Sent from my iThingy...

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Sun May 12, 2013 1:59 pm

It was more like 'AHHHHHHH' - must have gone well above my normal limits as I woke up with a strained groin and hamstrings :( icing as we speak.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun May 12, 2013 4:50 pm

PDCC D grade race Dog Hill 11 May 2013

Aka a view from the back of the bunch for cant_stop 1st win in D grade

Suffering from a a mild head cold, I decided it was time to sit in the pack and see how I went in a bunch sprint, relatively fresh. "You will get bored" said a couple of my fellow racers when the asked about my tactics for the day.

The first lap was a fairly decent pace, Matt aka cant_stop one of the usual suspects and Nigel one of the new guys went off the front, but a 30 gusting to 40 kph headwind, kept them in check and it was not long before Matt was back in the pack. Nigel lasted most of the lap dangling off the front.

Recent roadworks had made the circuit more challenging, some sections had be be resurfaced with smooth tarmac. One rougher section had also been resurfaced, but it was covered with small stones, and these had collected in number on the turn into that section, which make the cornering difficult. The little lip on the bridge had gone, but the bridge surface was still rough and the shadows made the crossing a little disconcerting.

Second lap, into the headwind section and Matt was just off the front again, the pack was just letting him die out there, crawling along at 25 kph. Unhappy with the pace and the group bunching up, I went to the front. Nobody jumped on my wheel, so I just sat on threshold pace, the pack was still back when I caught Matt and went to the front. Next couple of kms, just kept going at threshold pace, as we turned out of the headwind, I knew I had more than one rider behind me, so I eased off the pace. I did not know that a couple of riders had decided that this was an "attack" to follow, and dragged the bunch up.

If someone went round me after the corner and kept going, I would of joined them, but nobody did, so I settled for tempo pace on the front. Until the loose stone section, let's just say my cornering was sketchy, but I stayed upright. Settled in at 3rd or 4th wheel, for that section, then over the bridge and as we hit the little rise I went to the front. I wanted to get a good look at last kilometre and work out where I needed to launch my sprint from, given that one bend in the road had be cordoned off due to an incidence between rider and an american muscle car last time we raced here.

Past the start finish and rolled to the back to grab a drink, got five minutes of rest, before we hit the headwind section again. So onto the front, for a few kms of threshold, turned off and this time somebody else took up the pace making. Dropped back, before the entrance to the loose stone section, but took the corner slightly better this time, though I am capable of much better, but my confidence was shaken. I knew I had to be closer to the front next time through the loose stone section.

On to the final lap, the bunch slowed in to the headwind section, but I did not go to the front, just sat at the back, round the corner and then the next on to the loose stones section in last place. The pace was on, but I had no trouble in moving up, by the time we hit the bridge, I was close to the front and could see another rider off the front. I didn't react and stayed with the bunch, my mental map of the course deserted me as I made my way to the front too early. With just under a kilometre to go, I was 4 deep on the front and sitting on 45kph, my options where limited, so I decided to stay put, hugging the inside of the centre line. The rider off the front is coming back to us.

With about 600m to go, I see an american muscle car heading in the opposite direction. No other option, a quick touch of the brakes, a quick acceleration and I am on the back of the bunch. The car passes safely, I swing out to attack at my chosen point and I have absolutely nothing in my legs, I can not accelerate, so with my legs screaming in pain, I roll across the line to finish 10th.

The only good news is that Matt won his first D grade race, so I would like to think I had an influence on the race results. After the race, I was trying to figure out my poor performance, did I work too hard during the race, did I get to the front too early on in the last lap, was it just bad luck with big american muscle cars. I now realise that the biggest contributing factor was my cold, the next day I was struggling to complete easy physical tasks. Sure if I didn't go to the front so early or did not have to brake and then accelerate because of oncoming traffic, I might of pick up a couple of spots, but my cold was the limiting factor.

The jury is still out on me in sprint finishes. I need a bit more confidence and assertiveness to hold my place. So next time may be I will be the lone attacker with a kilometer to go, even though today he finished last.

Photo wise, if their are any of me from the race they will be with Tommy Voeckler like expression, first 3 laps because I was having fun, last time across the line because I was in pain.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun May 12, 2013 7:54 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
How hard can it be to look at your trip meter at the Y junction and see that it was 10km from the start? That's not the RD's fault.
Why would I take any notice of what the trip meter says at the Y intersection? I was looking at it every now and then on the way back counting down the kms to the finish based on the info given by RD, no use me trying a breakaway 10km from finish, needs to be much closer. Then someone asked me where the finish was and I said something like I'm not sure but about 6km away and then next minute there it was. If it was a straight out and back course and didn't have the side road add-ons I might of had a chance to workout where halfway was but I'm too busy trying to pedal, breathe and not run over debris or into riders in front or beside me rather than to try and work out maths problems.

Aparently that was Michael Hanslip's first road race in 8 years.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun May 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Ross wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:
Why would I take any notice of what the trip meter says at the Y intersection? I was looking at it every now and then on the way back counting down the kms to the finish based on the info given by RD, no use me trying a breakaway 10km from finish, needs to be much closer. Then someone asked me where the finish was and I said something like I'm not sure but about 6km away and then next minute there it was. If it was a straight out and back course and didn't have the side road add-ons I might of had a chance to workout where halfway was but I'm too busy trying to pedal, breathe and not run over debris or into riders in front or beside me rather than to try and work out maths problems.

Aparently that was Michael Hanslip's first road race in 8 years.
This is one of the reasons I always check the map course before every race.
James

rogan

Postby rogan » Sun May 12, 2013 9:36 pm

twizzle wrote:So OT it's not funny.... but it's caption time. :D
I'll have a go:

"Racer fury as bell indicates he sprinted a lap too early"