2013 Giro d'Italia

In your opinion, who will be in the Top 3 at the end of the Giro d'Italia 2013?

Poll ended at Tue May 07, 2013 1:23 am

BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto
No votes
POZZOVIVO Domenico
No votes
SELLA Emanuele
No votes
KESSIAKOFF Fredrik
No votes
NIBALI Vincenzo
29%
GESINK Robert
No votes
KELDERMAN Wilco
No votes
EVANS Cadel
10%
BASSO Ivan
2%
DUARTE AREVALO Fabio Andres
No votes
MARTINEZ DE ESTEBAN Egoi
No votes
SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel
2%
VERDUGO MARCOTEGUI Gorka
No votes
JEANNESSON Arnold
No votes
DEKKER Thomas
2%
HESJEDAL Ryder
21%
STETINA Peter
No votes
SCARPONI Michele
3%
SERPA PEREZ Jose Rodolfo
2%
COBO ACEBO Juan Jose
No votes
HERRADA LOPEZ José
No votes
INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Benat
No votes
WEENING Pieter
No votes
KISERLOVSKI Robert
No votes
MACHADO Tiago
No votes
HENAO MONTOYA Sergio
No votes
WIGGINS Bradley
31%
URAN URAN Rigoberto
No votes
SANTAMBROGIO Mauro
No votes

Total votes: 62
jasonc

Re: 2013 Giro d'Italia

Postby jasonc » Sun May 12, 2013 9:47 am

singlespeedscott wrote:It is a good sign for Cadel. Nice ride by Durbridge too.
frustratingly nothing on either ABC or Channel 7 news this morning. fail.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun May 12, 2013 10:05 am

Be interesting to see if Cadel is prepared to go all out for victory, seeing as he is supposedly riding the Giro in preparation for the TdF. Pity the coverage didn't match the quality of the event

reefer

Postby reefer » Sun May 12, 2013 10:45 am

Coverage on Steephill was great, SBS kept dropping out for me and resuming whatever movie was on at the time. In the end I just closed the SBS feed on my left monitor on watched Steephill on my right monitor.

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Sun May 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Who's generally considered to be the stronger climber out of Evans and Nibali?

Barring a crash / mechanical failure, I'm just pondering what will be Evans' best chance of making up the 29 seconds on Nibali?

Since Nibali is one of the best descenders in the whole peleton I really doubt that he's be able to regain any time there, which really only leaves the option of attacking him on the way UP a climb somewhere ... doesn't it?

What are other peoples thoughts?

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sun May 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Can anyone see Wiggo coming back from here? Or will it be a case of Sky running the line "Giro is only TDF training for Wiggo"?
Bet Froome is disappointed... might be tougher, politically speaking, for him to be team leader for TDF with Wiggo doing poorly in the Giro.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Sun May 12, 2013 4:56 pm

I think Wiggo will have a harder time building a TDF case if he fails to win the Giro. If he does blitz everyone in the mountains, and takes home the pink, what is left for him other than going for a Giro/Tour double?

As for Evans vs Nibali; Evans did the fastest time up the last hill in the TT, and there is one more TT, and it's all up hill.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

vander

Postby vander » Sun May 12, 2013 5:34 pm

ozdavo wrote:Can anyone see Wiggo coming back from here? Or will it be a case of Sky running the line "Giro is only TDF training for Wiggo"?
Bet Froome is disappointed... might be tougher, politically speaking, for him to be team leader for TDF with Wiggo doing poorly in the Giro.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
DB has said that Froome will be the leader of the TDF its a no questions asked thing.

As far as Wiggo coming back its a 3 week race there is a long time left, his TT was pretty good and if he didnt have to change bikes he probably would of won (just). Yes he didnt make as much time as expected but there is still a long time left, rest day on Monday I expect him to come back stronger then ever after that :wink:

As far as Nibali Vs Evans goes up hill, at his peak Evans would win up a hill but at the moment with Nibs current form I would back him. After yesterday he is definitely the man to beat. Evans was impressive but I dont think he will be stoked with a 3rd-5th.

Blanco, Garmin, Katusha and Nibali to attack in the mountains should make it very interesting.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun May 12, 2013 6:36 pm

DavidTomic wrote:Who's generally considered to be the stronger climber out of Evans and Nibali?

Barring a crash / mechanical failure, I'm just pondering what will be Evans' best chance of making up the 29 seconds on Nibali?

Since Nibali is one of the best descenders in the whole peleton I really doubt that he's be able to regain any time there, which really only leaves the option of attacking him on the way UP a climb somewhere ... doesn't it?

What are other peoples thoughts?
Evans has the better sprint and I believe his best chance to make up the time is go for time bonuses on MTFs.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun May 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Either way, I'm REALLY looking fwd to tonights stage.

For me, the main thing will be whether Wiggo has a good stage or not. $ in a row with major negatives in each is not good. And Stage 7, watching him descend after his fall was almost comical (no, I wouldn't have done any better).

I reckon cadel is actually getting better. No idea if it's good enough to win/podium, but I'll keep hoping !! :D

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sun May 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Man I'm pumped for Cadel. Lets go!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 13, 2013 6:12 am

Wiggo has certainly got the wobbles on wet descents !!!!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 13, 2013 8:31 am

MichaelB wrote:Wiggo has certainly got the wobbles on wet descents !!!!
& most curious that Sky had 2 riders in the peleton who were reportedly told not to wait for him.

Something seems to be afoot in team sky

michaelten

Postby michaelten » Mon May 13, 2013 9:01 am

Silly newbie question here.

Watching the time trial it looks like Wiggins has a very bent leg still at the bottom of the pedal stroke where as Cadel seems to have his leg nearly straight. Whats the idea of still having your leg quite bent? Or is it a my eyes playing tricks?

He also seems to have his ankle at 90* the entire time where Cadel looks like he slightly pushes his foot down at the bottom of the stroke.

Is it just a case of different styles, or is there specific ideas behind the techniques?

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon May 13, 2013 9:48 am

michaelten wrote:Silly newbie question here.

Watching the time trial it looks like Wiggins has a very bent leg still at the bottom of the pedal stroke where as Cadel seems to have his leg nearly straight. Whats the idea of still having your leg quite bent? Or is it a my eyes playing tricks?

He also seems to have his ankle at 90* the entire time where Cadel looks like he slightly pushes his foot down at the bottom of the stroke.

Is it just a case of different styles, or is there specific ideas behind the techniques?
Every bodies pedal stroke is different. It also depends on what the rider is doing at the time. Climbing uphill will usually have you with ankle down and pedaling with a high cadence will have your ankle higher and results in a slightly bent knee.

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Mon May 13, 2013 9:57 am

find_bruce wrote: & most curious that Sky had 2 riders in the peleton who were reportedly told not to wait for him.

I also saw those reports that 2 sky riders were told not to drop back and help Wiggins when he lost contact with the back of the bunch....

Man, Wiggo must be feeling the pressure.... even at the TdF last year there were stages where Froome certainly had the better of him, and I recall one TdF stage in particular where Froome was chomping at the bit to ride off ahead of Wiggins but was obviously instructed to wait.....

Wiggo has had all the expectations and pressure from within Sky to hold off the up and coming Froome...

And so far in the Giro he's had a fall, which has obviously resulted in him becoming a timid kitten on wet descents....

He had that flat in the ITT....

Cadel (probably viewed as Wiggins as the old 'has been') has a 40 second lead on him in the GC and he's more than a minute off the pace.....

Lots of hills (and descents) to go, plus everyone is saying that the final TT is likely to be handled well by Evans because there is a bit of climbing in it...

Everytime Wiggins pulls on the Lycra he must be feeling the pressure - and I wonder how this will all unfold for the remainder of the Giro and then the TdF..???

Will team sky fall apart? Will Wiggo ride in support of Froome? Will there be conflict?

Simply the fact that Sky haven't dominated the Giro (like they did in the TdF last year) has opened up the whole race and made it so much more interesting.

Evans seems to be doing well, and BMC are making regular appearances at the front of the bunch which bodes for interesting final stages, and perhaps a decent shot at the Giro GC and/or TdF victories?\\

Then there is Nibali holding the pink for the time being....can he hold off the rest?

Scarponi looking good too....

I only wish SBS were showing more of the stages live...

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon May 13, 2013 10:06 am

AndyTheMan wrote:
find_bruce wrote: & most curious that Sky had 2 riders in the peleton who were reportedly told not to wait for him.

I also saw those reports that 2 sky riders were told not to drop back and help Wiggins when he lost contact with the back of the bunch....

Man, Wiggo must be feeling the pressure.... even at the TdF last year there were stages where Froome certainly had the better of him, and I recall one TdF stage in particular where Froome was chomping at the bit to ride off ahead of Wiggins but was obviously instructed to wait.....

Wiggo has had all the expectations and pressure from within Sky to hold off the up and coming Froome...

And so far in the Giro he's had a fall, which has obviously resulted in him becoming a timid kitten on wet descents....

He had that flat in the ITT....

Cadel (probably viewed as Wiggins as the old 'has been') has a 40 second lead on him in the GC and he's more than a minute off the pace.....

Lots of hills (and descents) to go, plus everyone is saying that the final TT is likely to be handled well by Evans because there is a bit of climbing in it...

Everytime Wiggins pulls on the Lycra he must be feeling the pressure - and I wonder how this will all unfold for the remainder of the Giro and then the TdF..???

Will team sky fall apart? Will Wiggo ride in support of Froome? Will there be conflict?

Simply the fact that Sky haven't dominated the Giro (like they did in the TdF last year) has opened up the whole race and made it so much more interesting.

Evans seems to be doing well, and BMC are making regular appearances at the front of the bunch which bodes for interesting final stages, and perhaps a decent shot at the Giro GC and/or TdF victories?\\

Then there is Nibali holding the pink for the time being....can he hold off the rest?

Scarponi looking good too....

I only wish SBS were showing more of the stages live...
We haven't hit any real hills yet. This an area were Cadel struggles. He is good but the light weight turbo climbers just hit him again and again. Whilst he has to slog away with his diesel motor.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon May 13, 2013 10:15 am

AndyTheMan wrote:
find_bruce wrote: Simply the fact that Sky haven't dominated the Giro (like they did in the TdF last year) has opened up the whole race and made it so much more interesting.
+1

The uncertainty makes it much more exciting.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon May 13, 2013 11:28 am

AndyTheMan wrote:
Cadel (probably viewed as Wiggins as the old 'has been')
I doubt it, Andy. Wiggins has said publicly that lying in the hospital after his 2011 exit from the Tour he was inspired by watching Cadel win on TV after his own exit in 2010.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:We haven't hit any real hills yet. This an area were Cadel struggles. He is good but the light weight turbo climbers just hit him again and again. Whilst he has to slog away with his diesel motor.
i don't want to get too enthusiastic just yet, but some observers have noted that cadel's climbing form has historically followed his TTing form. he had a strong TT the other day.

the signs are good, but let's wait and see how he goes in the high mountains..

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon May 13, 2013 1:13 pm

Its a shame BMC dont have a strong contingent of climbers to help Cadel. He is going to have to rely on the peleton to help him if he has a hope of winning.

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Mon May 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Fresh wrote:Its a shame BMC dont have a strong contingent of climbers to help Cadel. He is going to have to rely on the peleton to help him if he has a hope of winning.
For those that were watching the Giro last night, there was a short interview with the BMC Technical Director (Allan Peiper) and one of the questions was whether Cadel had more support in his BMC team mates (especially when it got into the mountains)....there wasn't really a firm answer from the techincal director BUT the commentators had an interesting exchange where they comment that perhaps other teams were willing to help Cadel, or atleast, let him tag along in areas where BMC didn't have strong climbers to offer more support.

Interestingly also, the technical director was off to recon the next TT course...good to see BMC being well prepared for future stages...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:58 pm

Fresh wrote:Its a shame BMC dont have a strong contingent of climbers to help Cadel. He is going to have to rely on the peleton to help him if he has a hope of winning.
it's funny you say that, as the rider with the most help is Wiggo. but if you look at Sky's history on that front, last year Wiggo was attacked by his own teammate and he admits he nearly threw it all in and quit the race, and this year there are suspicions about the loyalty of his colombian teammates.

Niabli on the other hand was himself isolated in last night's stage, wasn't he?

i'm unsure Cadel is going to be in huge trouble. i wonder if he can call in favours from OGE?
AndyTheMan wrote:Interestingly also, the technical director was off to recon the next TT course...good to see BMC being well prepared for future stages...
it's clear they haven't done their homework. but cadel timed his run on saturday's TT to perfection, where others burned too many candles, too early. his experience will count for a lot there.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon May 13, 2013 2:15 pm

I wont be surprised if wiggo is not atbthe start line after the rest day.

Bases on how he looked in yesterday's stage andbthe TT it would not surprise me if he is sick.

This might make the who leads the team fight at the TDF more of a soap opera than it already is.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 13, 2013 2:19 pm

The Sky tam certainly doesn't seem to be a cohesive unit atm.

The rest of the team must be hoping it doesn't rain anymore .....

Great Giro so far though !!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon May 13, 2013 2:27 pm

jcjordan wrote:Bases on how he looked in yesterday's stage andbthe TT it would not surprise me if he is sick.
disagree. Wiggo rode a strong TT. he wimped it through the technical sections - of which there were many - and got off to swap bikes. and still almost won.

his problem yesterday was his lack of descending skills in the wet. these are problems, but not terminal ones.

everyone is getting stuck into Wiggo, when he is clearly in strong form.