Frame size and bike purchase question

TheWoodenTree

Frame size and bike purchase question

Postby TheWoodenTree » Sun May 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi guys, super noob here so please be patient with me.
No experience with bikes but I intend to purchase a 2nd hand MTB 29er.
I eyeballed a MTB on gumtree with medium frame. However, the seller assured me that I can fit. (I need a 19" frame according to manufacturer website)

My question is, does it really matter?

Also any recommendations for 29ers below $700? What should I look out for? 70% road/bike path, 30% off road.

Would like to add. I've been reading and searching a lot on this forum but it's still all greek to me. :oops:

Tks guys.

antipodean

Re: Frame size and bike purchase question

Postby antipodean » Sun May 12, 2013 10:11 pm

These are regularly on special for $550+$80 freight. I have seen one in the flesh and at that price they are a fantastic value for money.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/KHB ... e-29er-mtb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

another option

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2013-p ... -slx-29er/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheWoodenTree

Postby TheWoodenTree » Sun May 12, 2013 10:29 pm

antipodean wrote:These are regularly on special for $550+$80 freight. I have seen one in the flesh and at that price they are a fantastic value for money.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/KHB ... e-29er-mtb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

another option

http://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/2013-p ... -slx-29er/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Antipodean. Gotta wait then because the first link is still $999 and 2nd link is $748. How do you feel about purchasing bikes online?

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Mon May 13, 2013 9:33 am

The last 2 bikes I have bought were online.
My 29er is a KHS Yuma from Torpedo7 - 2012 version.

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Mon May 13, 2013 9:53 am

After speaking to T7 through their online chat they informed me that they are having a "huge sale" starting late tomorrow and mountain bikes will most likely be included.
How tall are you because the KHS Tempe is only available in S and M.

TheWoodenTree

Postby TheWoodenTree » Mon May 13, 2013 11:10 am

antipodean wrote:After speaking to T7 through their online chat they informed me that they are having a "huge sale" starting late tomorrow and mountain bikes will most likely be included.
How tall are you because the KHS Tempe is only available in S and M.
Hey Thanks Antipodean! I'm 6"2. Most probably need a Large.

TheWoodenTree

Postby TheWoodenTree » Fri May 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Well, after weeks of contemplation, I finally bought a Specialized HardRock Sports Disc 29er. It was on Red Ticket at BikeNow.
Was particularly happy with the service and knowledge of Peter at BikeNow.

First thing I did when I reached home was to dismantle the wheel reflectors. The pedals were crap as well. Probably my next upgrade.
Went for a quick 10k ride this morning. For the price I would've thought that it's just marginally better to Kmart bikes but no, it actually rode better than I'd expected.

Shout out especially to Antipodean for his great advice! Here's to more riding! :)

Pics or it didn't happen. Here's my bike on an impromptu bike maintenance stand. haha

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 pm

Nice bike! Good to see you got served well by your LBS.
TheWoodenTree wrote:First thing I did when I reached home was to dismantle the wheel reflectors. The pedals were crap as well. Probably my next upgrade.
Went for a quick 10k ride this morning. For the price I would've thought that it's just marginally better to Kmart bikes but no, it actually rode better than I'd expected.
While you're in the throes of upgradeitis, I'd replace the disc rotors as well if you can fit it in the budget. From memory, Tektro rotors? My experience of them is they induce *massive* fork flutter, in time to the changes in brake track width.

Rest of the bike is pretty darn good for the money. You'll have a great time. :D

TheWoodenTree

Postby TheWoodenTree » Fri May 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Sounds like a future shopping list! Skewers needs replacing as well. The plastic end caps just doesn't feel secure.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 28, 2013 9:40 am

Hope skewers are very hard to go past IMHO.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle