Moron Motorists #3

birdbrain

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby birdbrain » Mon May 13, 2013 2:32 pm

elantra wrote:
What is it with women and black cars ?

Cruising through one of those pathetically small brisbane roundabouts at about 35km/hr in damp but clear conditions approx 8am.
http://www.whereis.com/qld/west-end-(brisbane" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)/hoogley-st#session=MjM=

A black Kluger is almost at a standstill on my left.
But then comes straight across my course
It all happened in the blink of an eye and miraculously i was able to miss the rear of it by centimetres.

She didn't see me ?
Well actually i don't think she actually looked.
Maybe she was on her way to drop off her kids at school. Drivers seem to be in the twilight zone in the am especially women with a couple of rug rats in the car.

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon May 13, 2013 5:28 pm

I'm going to start using my helmet camera again. I resent the fact that I have to put this 200g object on my helmet just to record what happens during a 3km stretch of a 33.5km commute home. However, there are more than enough complete morons in that 3km to provide video fodder, such as the one today who threatened to run me over. OK, it was a hollow threat, and if I seriously thought he meant it, I'd have called the Police, but the very fact that he said it means his attitude completely stinks.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:30 pm

VRE wrote:such as the one today who threatened to run me over. OK, it was a hollow threat, and if I seriously thought he meant it, I'd have called the Police, but the very fact that he said it means his attitude completely stinks.
in that circumstance, i ask them "woah! that's a threat mate! are you sure about that!" and if they confirm they're serious, well.. i'm recording.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon May 13, 2013 9:53 pm

A standard risky overtake whilst running out of space and approaching a zebra crossing with a pedestrian on it. It gained the driver the privilege of waiting firstly at the roundabout and secondly at the lights for a bit longer.

Cheers,

Cameron

skull

Postby skull » Tue May 14, 2013 7:29 am

ironhanglider wrote:
A standard risky overtake whilst running out of space and approaching a zebra crossing with a pedestrian on it. It gained the driver the privilege of waiting firstly at the roundabout and secondly at the lights for a bit longer.

Cheers,

Cameron
Dam you, I have now just seen my office and I was having a lovely 2 weeks away too.

Bah77

Postby Bah77 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:32 pm

The start of that video was doing my head in, ghost bike.. no wonder the driver wanted to get away from it.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue May 14, 2013 6:53 pm

:D
Bah77 wrote:The start of that video was doing my head in, ghost bike.. no wonder the driver wanted to get away from it.
It gets worse too, I'd already dropped both children off at school and childcare by this stage, this is the whole bike.

It comes complete with 3 flashing rear lights and I ride in a tradies fluoro shirt with a fluoro vest over the top of my backpack too. It probably ranks highly on the weirdness stakes.

I laugh inside at people who include weight in the purchase decision of their commuter bike, mine weighs 35kg and I still get to work ok.

Cheers,

Cameron

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue May 14, 2013 11:17 pm

Are B Double bikes allowed on urban roads ;)

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

VRE

Postby VRE » Wed May 15, 2013 7:13 am

ironhanglider wrote:I laugh inside at people who include weight in the purchase decision of their commuter bike, mine weighs 35kg and I still get to work ok.
Rather than judge people based on their bicycle preferences, I'm happy just to see people on bikes, regardless of how much the bikes (or people) weigh and what type of bike it is.
Last edited by VRE on Wed May 15, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed May 15, 2013 8:02 am

:roll: x lots

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed May 15, 2013 9:35 am

Marto wrote::roll: x lots

I love how the trucking association person blames the builders for not building the tunnels large enough... :roll:

Those water curtain stop signs are really cool.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:15 am

what a moron. that vehicle appears to be not a legitimate overheight vehicle, the operator has just greedily stuffed more of whatever he's carrying above the bin height, making it exceed height limits. that's illegal anywhere, much less through the harbour tunnel.

lol (AT) the truckie spokesman accusing authorities - if you're driving an overheight vehicle (legally or illegally) - you can't expect road builders to have provided clearance for you!! and even then, they've gone to the trouble of installing active signage. unbelievable attitude.. :roll:

also, it's not a b-double, but a truck-trailer.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed May 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Summernight wrote: Those water curtain stop signs are really cool.

+1, SUPER cool 8) . Pity that they're needed though...
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 15, 2013 7:19 pm

ldrcycles wrote:

Amen to that.

Maybe the govt should consider merging the ignoring of warning sign like that by HGVs into the hoon legislation. A TIN will get paid quickly and forgotten, being benched for 28 days should make him think.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed May 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:

Amen to that.

Maybe the govt should consider merging the ignoring of warning sign like that by HGVs into the hoon legislation. A TIN will get paid quickly and forgotten, being benched for 28 days should make him think.
And crush the prime mover :twisted:
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Mulger bill wrote: A TIN will get paid quickly and forgotten, being benched for 28 days should make him think.
shaun, a likely reason for that moron effort was fatigue. that in turn could be the result of the driver working his business into the grave, or his boss working him into the grave. in the latter case, it's his boss who should be benched.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Wonder what the 28 day impound fee for a loaded bogie tri would be and how the consignee will react to the news that they're waiting another month?
That should make the boss happy.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 15, 2013 9:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:

Amen to that.

Funny you should say that. The local paper this week had a short story on trucks that keep going into Galston Gorge in Sydney, despite being over the 7.5m length restriction. The $3000+ fine is apparently not enough of a deterrent, so now they looking at deregistering the offending truck for 3 months and also charging the operator for the recovery of the truck from the hairpins.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu May 16, 2013 8:44 am

outnabike wrote:A bit close this morning on a shopping trip, and for no reason as there was a free lane on the right. I may look a bit close to the edge but I heard the car on my wheel and moved over a bit more than normal. I will have to learn to say the number plate of these types of drivers. Have to get U tube fixed too.

Quoting my own thread for review here.
I submitted my complaint to the chief commissioner of police, as both Dandenong and Springvale traffic opps were not inclined to pursue the details.

Anyway I used the pre set out paper work off the forum (thanks Oxford), along with the video and got it back in 3 days.....Yes the post office worked in harmony with the perpetrator and mailed the package back to the sender... me. :D
Mailed it again and eventually received a call from a nice officer at Dandenong where it all began. He stated that it was close to being attended too and was a legitimate case of driver error and the video was giving them trouble to get open but they were working on it.

The video of course opens with Microsoft soft ware. But these things happen and he said his computer was no marvel.

Yesterday the matter was resolved as the video was ok, viewed by the Springvale police, the driver was paid a visit personally, and the officer was convinced that the driver was genuinely mortified that I had thought the incident was on purpose etc, etc. He or she was given a warning.
I am happy with that, and told the officer that I was not really after any other result. The matter is now on record, said motorist warned, knows that we have some recourse, and hopefully will not drive so close to the next cyclist they encounter.

I must say the whole incident has been a fair bit off effort to get attended too, and it sure made a difference to send it to the chief commissioner rather than battle the desk lawyers at the front entry of the police station.
I think when I wrote that “I can phone into the hoon line if I see a bloke doing a wheelie, but get ignored when I bring in video of a near hit and run” The life threatening nature of the drivers action was then recognised.
Or they were just oiling the squeaky wheel. :D
Any way thanks to the good members for the help with identifying the numberplate as I put all that into the package showing my search of the rego, how I arrived at the number etc, and the police also verified the plate of the alleged driver. See now I am a desk lawyer as well......
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 16, 2013 9:34 am

Well done, Outnabike. Glad they actually paid a visit to the driver.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu May 16, 2013 10:11 am

That right turn onto Adelaide street strikes again! Hahahaha.

Came across 4 numpties on my ride this morning. 3 did the good ol left hook (2 at speed to make the light/turn after gunning it) and the other was a young P plater that drove out from a side road very very slowly when there was a huge gap in the traffic and instead of looking where she wanted to go she just looked with a blank face at me/the car beside me that were heading straight for her Barina struggling to accelerate.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu May 16, 2013 10:22 am

I'm riding into work this morning and observe a hilux 4x4 coming up behind me on the approach to a roundabout. The road opens up to two lanes, and the hilux takes the right lane, so I hop into the left lane and claim it to negotiate the roundabout. At the entry to the roundabout myself and the hilux are at equal speeds and hit the entry at about the same time. Hilux then begins to join me in my lane as we negotiate the curve. I must have upset his plans of straight lining the roundabout. During the manoeuvre the passenger side window comes down and he starts remonstrating with me about being in the lane. This while he is straddling the centre line. I get ahead momentarily and on the departure, he pulls along side and starts up again. Tell him he's wrong, and wind noise is pretty loud, but I think I heard him mention something about a 'one point offence'. He was in a state government polo shirt so maybe he thought he had some knowledge of the law as it applied to cyclists. He races ahead to get to the next roundabout, where he actually holds me up then pulls away on the straight. The frustration must have got the better of him, so he slows down so I can slip alongside him (I'm now back to the left of the line that is sometimes described as a bike lane) and re-starts with his tirade, holding up a car behind him - but hey, at least he is in his own lane this time.

This happened before sunset and he did not have his headlights on. Coupled with the lane splitting and general moronic behaviour, if he was accusing me of breaching a 'one point fine' (whatever that is) how many demerit points would have actions have cost him is this was witnessed by competent law enforcement? Video footage is useless due to darkness and his lack of lit up rear plate, but would loved it to have been a government car. Car drivers entitlements on the roads are a fairly sensitive issue in Cairns at the moment.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu May 16, 2013 10:30 am

It's a long shot but if that fellow cyclist with camera is on here who was riding along Wynnum Rd last night as we shared those 3 dangerous interactions with the BCC bus please PM me, that dangerous driver needs reporting!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:43 am

outnabike wrote:I am happy with that, and told the officer that I was not really after any other result. The matter is now on record, said motorist warned, knows that we have some recourse, and hopefully will not drive so close to the next cyclist they encounter.

I must say the whole incident has been a fair bit off effort to get attended too, and it sure made a difference to send it to the chief commissioner rather than battle the desk lawyers at the front entry of the police station.
good outcome. can i make a suggestion - that you write a quick note of thanks to the cops for taking the trouble to do that? they've obviously gone to some trouble - presumably in the knowledge the Chief Comm. now had a stake in the matter and was watching - letting them know it wasn't just a case of being coerced into taking action and that you appreciated their support in making the roads safer for cyclists may help get a supportive reaction from them, next time this happens to someone else.

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu May 16, 2013 11:35 am

Crawf wrote:It's a long shot but if that fellow cyclist with camera is on here who was riding along Wynnum Rd last night as we shared those 3 dangerous interactions with the BCC bus please PM me, that dangerous driver needs reporting!
Hope you find them here or on Roadgrime or http://www.brisbanecyclist.com/forum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

At morning tea this morning with 6 non-cycling colleagues, one mentioned how a BCC bus passed a cyclist within a small roundabout this morning, then tailgated the cyclist for a while after. The consensus (not prompted by me) was that BCC bus drivers drive very dangerously around cyclists. This doesn't help you, but it is an interesting observation from commuters from a range of brisbane suburbs.