Video Camera who uses one?

Summernight

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:48 am

I believe mine was a replacement, not a repair of the original - I had put a sticker on the bottom of my old one with my name and details and the new one didn't have this sticker. There would have been no point in ripping said sticker off as it wasn't over any important parts. GoPro didn't say repair of original - they said replacement camera.

Mine was purchased in January 2013. Received early February/late January. Returned to GoPro February. Replacement received March 2013. No major issues since.

The only issue I have at the moment is that the camera doesn't seem to want to turn on if it has automatically powered off. Also the battery bacpac is being silly - if the bacpac is empty of charge the camera refuses to turn on, even if there is sufficient charge in the internal camera battery (You can clearly see when this happens as when you press the on button the charge level on the bacpac will flash saying it is too low and the camera does not start, but if you then pull off the bacpac and turn on the GoPro it will start immediately and tell you it has sufficient charge).

Thanks for the reminder regarding the new update, Boognoss.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 02, 2013 5:41 pm

Does anyone else here regularly use the GoPro Battery Bacpac? I would like to get your thoughts on it.

My problem with the camera not turning on if the battery bacpac is empty of charge (but the camera itself is still full of charge) is a repeatable problem that happens every time I don't bother to charge the battery bacpac, turn the camera off after use and then try to turn it on again.

What is the point of extra charge if it doesn't double the length of time the camera needs to go without being charged up???

Or is it just my bacpac?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Sat May 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Summernight wrote:Does anyone else here regularly use the GoPro Battery Bacpac? I would like to get your thoughts on it.

My problem with the camera not turning on if the battery bacpac is empty of charge (but the camera itself is still full of charge) is a repeatable problem that happens every time I don't bother to charge the battery bacpac, turn the camera off after use and then try to turn it on again.

What is the point of extra charge if it doesn't double the length of time the camera needs to go without being charged up???

Or is it just my bacpac?
I use the bacpac regularly but mostly with my White. Regardless of Black or White my cameras turn on when its flat (eg. Long ride where I burned through the bacpac and most of the internal battery. Replaced internal battery during coffee stop, no problems with power up).

A workaround might be to turn on the cam and then connect the bacpac. It works although I'm not sure if it's officially supported as a "thing to do" now that I think of it. That would save having to take the normal and thick enclosure backs with you on the ride which would be annoying to have to do.

One thing I've observed on both of my Blacks and a friend's Black with his own bacpac is that the light on the bacpac flickers rather than pulsing in sync with the cam's red light when recording. On the White it is in sync which is a much better look, so that's a Black peculiarity (and dodgy IMO).

Long story short, it might be your bacpac. You're on firmware 2.39 now I assume Summernight?

Cheers, Simon
Sent from my mApple myPad using Tapatalk HD
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Summernight wrote:Does anyone else here regularly use the GoPro Battery Bacpac? I would like to get your thoughts on it.

Or is it just my bacpac?
Which version GoPro and which version BacPac? I have a Silver GoPro3 with the older BacPac (silver one for Hero 1&2 cameras). The problem you describe is most likely a fault with the camera not the BacPac. Have you got the latest firmware?
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 07, 2013 10:24 am

Another BacPac user on a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition but I don't have the April 23 firmware release installed. I have had a few niggles with the through charging and have pretty much given up on that option now preferring to charge both batteries independently of each other.

I haven't experienced your problems but do get out the out sync red light issue that has been mentioned.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 07, 2013 10:26 am

Taking their cue from Nature, engineers have built a camera using stretchable electronics that scans the world like a fly's compound eye - with a wide field of view and no distortion.

The digital device, which has a multitude of tiny, pliable lenses like those found in ant, beetle, and lobster eyes, also allows for a near-infinite depth of field and high motion sensitivity, the team wrote in the journal Nature last Wednesday.

"We've figured out ways to make cameras that incorporate all of the essential design features of eyes found in the insect world," study co-author John Rogers of the University of Illinois' engineering department said.

"The result is a new type of camera that offers exceptionally wide-angle fields of view (nearly 180 degrees) with zero aberrations and uniform illumination intensity."
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/came ... z2SYu6vmNp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This sounds like an interesting development which could be of benefit to cyclists.

Andrew

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue May 07, 2013 1:52 pm

Thank you guys,

Latest firmware = check. Still have problem = check.

Black Hero 3 with Hero 3 Battery Bacpac (well, it better be that as I bought it at the same time as the camera).

I used the camera on the weekend for about 1 and 1/2 hours with no problems (although it was constantly recording and was never stopped). Tried to turn it on this morning and it did its beeps and then turned off, then continued to do the beeps without turning on. Guess I ran all the batteries down as it didn't want to turn on until after I let it charge for a fair bit (including when I pulled the bacpac off and tried to turn the camera on separately). I also used it prior to the 1 and 1/2 hours for my 20min commute home on Friday so in total it had done just shy of 2 hours.

How long do people get using both the bacpac and camera together? I thought it had more juice than that.
Boognoss wrote:A workaround might be to turn on the cam and then connect the bacpac. It works although I'm not sure if it's officially supported as a "thing to do" now that I think of it. That would save having to take the normal and thick enclosure backs with you on the ride which would be annoying to have to do.
Thanks, I will try that method and see whether it works.

I still have issues with attaching my GoPro to the computer - that seems to be the only time it freezes nowadays, which I guess is markedly better than freezing when I'm just about to start a commute. :roll:

I don't get seem to get flickering on the bacpac. Just the normal pulse as far as I know.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:10 am

Summernight wrote:Thank you guys,

Latest firmware = check. Still have problem = check.

Black Hero 3 with Hero 3 Battery Bacpac (well, it better be that as I bought it at the same time as the camera).

I used the camera on the weekend for about 1 and 1/2 hours with no problems (although it was constantly recording and was never stopped). Tried to turn it on this morning and it did its beeps and then turned off, then continued to do the beeps without turning on. Guess I ran all the batteries down as it didn't want to turn on until after I let it charge for a fair bit (including when I pulled the bacpac off and tried to turn the camera on separately). I also used it prior to the 1 and 1/2 hours for my 20min commute home on Friday so in total it had done just shy of 2 hours.

How long do people get using both the bacpac and camera together? I thought it had more juice than that.
Boognoss wrote:A workaround might be to turn on the cam and then connect the bacpac. It works although I'm not sure if it's officially supported as a "thing to do" now that I think of it. That would save having to take the normal and thick enclosure backs with you on the ride which would be annoying to have to do.
Thanks, I will try that method and see whether it works.

I still have issues with attaching my GoPro to the computer - that seems to be the only time it freezes nowadays, which I guess is markedly better than freezing when I'm just about to start a commute. :roll:

I don't get seem to get flickering on the bacpac. Just the normal pulse as far as I know.
The Hero 3 BacPac is black, the earlier models are silver. Pretty much the same hardware but you pay an extra $10 for it to be black :-)

I get about two hours without the BacPac and about 4 hours with the BacPac attached. It's been a while since I've been on a ride for more than three hours long so it hasn't exhausted the batteries for a long time.

Generally, when I connect it to the computer, I disconnect the BacPac first and charge it separately. I then connect the camera to the computer and let it fully charge before I power it on to retrieve the footage. If the red light is not solid, I disconnect the cable, remove the battery and then place it back in. I generally find it will always give me a solid red light when I then reconnect the cable. If the light does not go solid, it is not charging properly. Prior to the last two firmware upgrades, I would have trouble getting it solid. I would have to remove the battery as well as the memory card.

The latest firmware definitely seems to have helped calm things down.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed May 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Thanks Darkelf. Is that 4 hours with turning the camera off and on and recording different clips? Or 4 hours in one recording?

I think mine could do 4 hours in one go but I don't think it likes doing a total of 4 hours in separate goes and once it passes the 2 hour magic period it won't turn on.

I had the camera glitch yesterday and be unresponsive on the commute home although the footage turned out fine (the camera was flashing the recording light at a fraction of the normal flash and wouldn't turn off or listen to button presses). I think it was because I had attached it to the computer and then hadn't pulled the internal battery out to reset whatever heebee-jeebies it has when attached to the computer. I will pull the bacpac off and charge separately from now on and hopefully that will fix the issue. :D

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Summernight wrote:Thanks Darkelf. Is that 4 hours with turning the camera off and on and recording different clips? Or 4 hours in one recording?

I think mine could do 4 hours in one go but I don't think it likes doing a total of 4 hours in separate goes and once it passes the 2 hour magic period it won't turn on.

I had the camera glitch yesterday and be unresponsive on the commute home although the footage turned out fine (the camera was flashing the recording light at a fraction of the normal flash and wouldn't turn off or listen to button presses). I think it was because I had attached it to the computer and then hadn't pulled the internal battery out to reset whatever heebee-jeebies it has when attached to the computer. I will pull the bacpac off and charge separately from now on and hopefully that will fix the issue. :D
One recording. Although there have been a few rides where I have stopped it mid ride (toilet break) and it's started fine.

See how you go with the separating the BacPac while charging.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 am

About to grab a gopro Hero 3 Black from JB Hifi, are the newer ones more reliable than the older ones?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 am

AndrewBurns wrote:About to grab a gopro Hero 3 Black from JB Hifi, are the newer ones more reliable than the older ones?
They've had a few firmware updates since and seem to be better. :)

Speaking of firmware updates - I received an email overnight from GoPro kindly informing me that there is a firmware update for the Hero3 out. So I check the website and it seems that it is the update from April 24th. Better late than never I guess?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu May 09, 2013 6:17 pm

Summernight wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:About to grab a gopro Hero 3 Black from JB Hifi, are the newer ones more reliable than the older ones?
They've had a few firmware updates since and seem to be better. :)

Speaking of firmware updates - I received an email overnight from GoPro kindly informing me that there is a firmware update for the Hero3 out. So I check the website and it seems that it is the update from April 24th. Better late than never I guess?
I had to eyeroll at that this morning. The email made me have a look for nothing ;-)
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri May 10, 2013 6:27 am

Ok got the gopro hero 3 black, it looks quite nice and I tried it on the way home last night, noticed a few things:

- So far no issues with locking, corrupted SD cards etc (latest firmware, class 10 32GB SD)
- It's not made of magic, footage is pretty grainy in completely pitch-black conditions
- It emits a lot of RF noise which made my Garmin edge 500 refuse to find satellites. Even when I got satellites by holding the Garmin away from the camera and then put it back on the bike it degraded the signal enough to make the GPS data all strange
- Half an hour of 1440p 48fps footage with pro-tune on is about 8GB :P I need another hard drive...

The only real problem for me is the RF noise messing the with GPS, solutions are to either use a helmet mount for the camera instead of having it on the handlebars or as I've seen other people do, wrap the go-pro in copper/aluminium foil to shield it a bit better. Kinda annoying that it's not adequately shielded from the factory, I wonder how it passed CE RF emissions testing.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Fri May 10, 2013 12:30 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Ok got the gopro hero 3 black, it looks quite nice and I tried it on the way home last night, noticed a few things:

- So far no issues with locking, corrupted SD cards etc (latest firmware, class 10 32GB SD)
- It's not made of magic, footage is pretty grainy in completely pitch-black conditions
- It emits a lot of RF noise which made my Garmin edge 500 refuse to find satellites. Even when I got satellites by holding the Garmin away from the camera and then put it back on the bike it degraded the signal enough to make the GPS data all strange
- Half an hour of 1440p 48fps footage with pro-tune on is about 8GB :P I need another hard drive...

The only real problem for me is the RF noise messing the with GPS, solutions are to either use a helmet mount for the camera instead of having it on the handlebars or as I've seen other people do, wrap the go-pro in copper/aluminium foil to shield it a bit better. Kinda annoying that it's not adequately shielded from the factory, I wonder how it passed CE RF emissions testing.
No such issue for me with bar mounted GoPro Hero 3 White or Black with either an Edge 705 or Forerunner 910XT mounted on the stem. Maybe the 500 is more susceptible to interference......

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 10, 2013 12:37 pm

I had gps issues with the Garmin 200 and the GoPro Hero 2 (both mounted on the stem). Garmin 200/800 on the stem and GoPro on a kedge mount under the bars no issues at all.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Fri May 10, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri May 10, 2013 12:52 pm

I don't seem to have issues with my bar mounted Hero 3 Black and the 500 mounted on the stem. Although I've turned off everything on the GoPro like the wireless and Protune.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 10, 2013 1:20 pm

My Garmin Edge 810 is mounted on the stem and the GoPro is mounted with a K-Edge mount off the handlebars. No interference issues that I am aware of.

Andrew

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri May 10, 2013 3:20 pm

I've wrapped my gopro in copper foil as I've read other people doing when they have such noise problems. I'll try it again this arvo and see if it works now. Looking at the k-edge mount also, it looks good.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri May 10, 2013 5:22 pm

Aha either the copper foil wrap or moving the camera to under the handlebars worked, with the camera going the garmin found satellites no problems at all :)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon May 13, 2013 10:00 am

My experiment with the Battery Bacpac and turning the Hero 3 Black camera on before attaching the bacpac seemed to be a success - the camera lasted longer, in my non-scientifically based opinion. Although once the camera itself got to one bar of internal battery left, as soon as I attached the bacpac the camera turned off. Detach the bacpac, camera would turn on again.

Since I didn't have time this morning before work to go a find the non-bacpac housing I decided to leave the camera off on my commute into work and then did an experiment at work. Pulled the bacpac off and had the camera just recording out the window.

The camera recorded an extra 30 minutes before packing it in and saying it was out of battery. So my solution to the issue is to carry around ALL the different housings it seems. :|

And I keep getting repeat emails from GoPro saying the update is out. Yes, from the 24th of April. Bit of overkill now, GoPro... I'm going to miss the next legitimate update because I'll start ignoring those emails. :P

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon May 13, 2013 1:07 pm

I have one of the jumbo 808 type cameras, and I filled it up with water on a ride yesterday :( It stopped working at the time, but today has come back to life :)

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue May 14, 2013 7:49 am

I'm considering getting the GoPro Hero 3 Black, but have a question for those who have already bought one:

The Highly Tuned Athletes* site states the Hero 3 Black with usual accessories is $530 but the GoPro website in its Hero 3 comparison chart says the same package minus the micro-SD card is MSRP $300 (in Australian dollars), so why the huge difference? Price comparisons on other sites say that a typical price for a 32GB class 10 micro-SD card is $75 (e.g. JB HiFi, so this wouldn't account for the whole price difference.

* A Melbourne-based online vendor, which seems pretty good. I bought a Garmin 800 bundle from them last year.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 14, 2013 8:02 am

I got my sd card, 32gb class 10, from office works. They price matched an online vendor, found using one of the shopping search sites. Price came down from around $75 to about $30 and I didn't need to wait for the postie. The price match was item plus postage minus 5% for price guarantee. It had to be in stock at the online joint.

They wanted a printout of the website when I went to buy a printer a while back, but when I said I'm buying a printer because mine broke they suggested I use the in store computer to look up the site and they then verified from that.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Tue May 14, 2013 9:54 am

Yeah always get at least class 10 card if you can.

I am using this camera, which I have had for over 2 years now. Its price has gone up from $60US to $110US apparently due to demand:
http://dx.com/p/waterproof-720p-5m-pixe ... t-sd-65249" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It doesn't need a case or anything and it can go fully underwater. It has a laser on it, so you can press the laser to make sure you are aiming at the number plates to make sure you get a decent pic of them :-)