STCC

fixedlegs2012

Re: STCC

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:29 pm

It would be good to have a race like in Melb, 3 stages over two days. it would attract a lot of entrants. Maybe a road race, TT followed by another road race or even a crit.

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:47 pm

fixedlegs2012 wrote:It would be good to have a race like in Melb, 3 stages over two days. it would attract a lot of entrants. Maybe a road race, TT followed by another road race or even a crit.
Have you ridden or watched the Melbourne event?

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Know people that race in it every year. Permits are taking 3 months to get atm, so STCC could look at a weekend next year for it

master6

Postby master6 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:52 am

fixedlegs2012 wrote:Know people that race in it every year. Permits are taking 3 months to get atm, so STCC could look at a weekend next year for it
Your best bet is to formulate a plan, including ideas on how to fund it, and, how to find marshalls for it.
Find a committee member sympathetic to your idea, and discuss it.
Get along to a meeting and present your plan.

There must be an AGM coming up soon that might provide you with an opportunity.

You might whip up a bit of support on this forum, however, to a large degree, you are peeing into a headwind; BNA does not run events, and the people you need to sell to might not frequent this site.

Like winking at a girl in the dark :D :D

Best wishes.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:49 pm

fixedlegs2012 wrote:It would be good to have a race like in Melb, 3 stages over two days. it would attract a lot of entrants. Maybe a road race, TT followed by another road race or even a crit.
They use to have the Harvest Cycle event during the Mt Wellington TT weekend.

So was 3 days and 5 races (if memory serves me right).
Day one: TT, HC RR with Grass tree.
Day two: RR, Crit around Richmond.
Day three: HC TT (Mt Welli)

Unfortunately is was to hard for it to be managed so is now a distant memory and I only ever got to race it once :(

master6

Postby master6 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:02 pm

skull wrote:

Unfortunately is was to hard for it to be managed so is now a distant memory and I only ever got to race it once :(
Skull,
your first word is the reason these things are difficult.

"They".

You need a lot of "they" to run a multi stage event. Far more "they" than the hard working small group managing Sunday morning events.

Now that you are land locked by NSW, have a look at the Inverell "they" who conduct one of the best bike races in Australia. An amasing feat for a small town.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Oh I understand it is difficult with a small group of dedicated people working to get these events up.

I wasn't complaining about the loss of the Harvest Cycle event due to lake of trying, sad it ended. (obviously not enough to get involved)

The tour of Canberra was cancelled here unfortunately due to a whole rack of issues. I was going to have a run in that. Going to sign up to the Tour of Bright in December.

fixedlegs2012

Postby fixedlegs2012 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:06 pm

As I understand the Hobart wheelers are lookin at bringing back some of the classics from yesteryear in 2013

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm

skull wrote:

Next year looks like the rebirth of a Harvest cycle type event/week of racing. The Mt Wellington challenge is going to be the weekend after the Southern Valley Tour with a crit on the wednesday. Probably some organised bunchies on the other days. The aim obviously is to encourage people to come down and stay the whole week.
Some hard racing for two days
Two days sightseeing with a bunch ride somewhere on one or both days.
Race a crit on a course that makes you earn every lap.
Two days for reco and to carbo load at some of Hobarts eateries.
Race the clock up a dirty big hill.

Sounds like a pretty good prep for the TT for the serious types and a week long adventure for the rest!!....well the majority really.

This weekend is a good one. STCC has a 20km TT on Saturday, 10am at Richmond and Hobart Wheelers/Dirt Devils have a Crit at 1pm at Tolosa Park.
Then on Sunday we have a 40km scratch, mass start road race at Woodsdale.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Baldy wrote:[ The aim obviously is to encourage people to come down and stay the whole week.

Bunch ride, sightseeing, and top class coffee and food.

Sounds like the Richmond Bakery Wednesday Ride .

Life is good Baldy :D

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Wed May 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Baldy wrote:
skull wrote:

Next year looks like the rebirth of a Harvest cycle type event/week of racing. The Mt Wellington challenge is going to be the weekend after the Southern Valley Tour with a crit on the wednesday. Probably some organised bunchies on the other days. The aim obviously is to encourage people to come down and stay the whole week.
Some hard racing for two days
Race a crit on a course that makes you earn every lap.
Race the clock up a dirty big hill.

Sounds like a pretty good prep for the TT for the serious types and a week long adventure for the rest!!....well the majority really.

This weekend is a good one. STCC has a 20km TT on Saturday, 10am at Richmond and Hobart Wheelers/Dirt Devils have a Crit at 1pm at Tolosa Park.
Then on Sunday we have a 40km scratch, mass start road race at Woodsdale.

so much for tapering for welly :shock:
when do we stop for coffee???

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed May 01, 2013 12:52 pm

A week is not long enough to taper? I have no idea I've never tried it, actually I don't think I train hard enough to worry about it.

skull

Postby skull » Wed May 01, 2013 1:09 pm

Welly is one event as part of a tour.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Wed May 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Yeah mate not sure what the MWC will be next year, looks like the wheelers want to take it on given what Evan has said in comments about this years race.

I reckon it will be a standalone event.

A welly TT as part of a tour would be nice though. If you could get the permits and people behind it. I can't speak for STCC but my personal opinion is we could not do it alone. It would need the Wheelers and or someone else to help. CT support would be nice but I would not hold my breath on that one.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu May 02, 2013 4:43 pm

there should be a good turn out for the TT this saturday

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon May 13, 2013 4:43 pm

now I am purely talking about the day of the week.

do you think more people would race at the STCC if they held there races on a Saturday?

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 pm

The only thing I can think of is less people might work on a Sunday? I'm just assuming there is a reason behind it but you would need to ask someone that has been around longer. [Bucky or Nige could tell you]

Kids sports on Saturdays? Maybe the club is run by a bunch of godless heathens?

So to answer your question....no idea. It wouldn't make much difference to me.

master6

Postby master6 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:40 am

Baldy wrote: So to answer your question....no idea. It wouldn't make much difference to me.
I've been a member of nine different cycling clubs, with a pretty equal mix of Saturday and Sunday racing. In the early years, Saturday racing was afternoon only, due to most people working 8-5 Monday to Friday, and shops closed Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday. Many people did their shopping on Saturday morning.
With almost 24/7 shopping today, that is not a consideration.

The participation rates seemed not to vary between Saturdays and Sundays.

In the "old days", Saturday racing was seen as advantageous as it left Sunday free to go out and wear yourself out on longer training rides, however this was also tied in with the inflexible shopping and working hours of the time. People had less opportunity to do longer rides mid week, than they do today.

I doubt that it would make much difference today.

The above comments are related to road racing exclusively.

During my membership of Brunswick and Townsville cycling clubs, we raced on the track on Friday nights under lights, from October to Easter. This was a very popular arrangement, as it gave a free weekend. The advent of daylight saving in Victoria also saw midweek track racing from 7pm when I was at Kyneton, and Ballarat.

Over to you Mr Committeeman Baldy. Its al :D l good

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Tue May 14, 2013 8:13 am

this..........Saturday racing was seen as advantageous as it left Sunday free to go out and wear yourself out on longer training rides................. is my whole point

master6

Postby master6 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:31 am

BarryTas wrote: do you think more people would race at the STCC if they held there races on a Saturday?
:? I thought this was your point Barry.

Are you on about boosting racing participation, or your desire to ride all day Sunday?

Tuck in behind Rob, and he will lead you to The Promised Land. :D

And stolen silver :D