How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Summernight

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Mon May 13, 2013 3:02 pm

Lizzy wrote:Cycle commuting improved my quality of life in an unexpected way today, I asked our maintenance crew to shift a power point, they wanted me to pay for four of their staff (AT) minimum half-hours worth of work to unbolt and shift a desk that was obstructing the work area. "Boff!", I said to myself, pulled my multitool out of my pannier, unbolted the desk with the 5mm allen key, & my office neighbour and I shuffled it out of the way, took the two of us nearly five whole minutes :|
A win for the bike!!! Go the handy cycling tools!

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon May 13, 2013 3:12 pm

...and a win for university staff everywhere - down with bureaucracy! Down with ARC! More pay! Oh, wait - wrong forum....

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon May 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Lizzy wrote:I said to myself, pulled my multitool out of my pannier, unbolted the desk with the 5mm allen key, & my office neighbour and I shuffled it out of the way, took the two of us nearly five whole minutes :|
Very good Lizzy. Another reason why all citizen needs to be a cyclist. Well done!

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon May 13, 2013 5:35 pm

Another day like this :(

I went to see the Doctor after being berated by my family yesterday. Did a lung function test and scored well for a 70 year old (I'm just shy of 40) :(

The upshot of that is that I know that I'll still be rolling out the km's when I'm 70 8)
2012 Oppy A4

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon May 13, 2013 6:05 pm

First commute today in 9wks. Glad to be back riding and not driving.

Now for the 1am ride home :D

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon May 13, 2013 6:05 pm

KonaCommuter wrote: The upshot of that is that I know that I'll still be rolling out the km's when I'm 70 8)
Great, maybe you can share us some of your secret. I am 36 and looking forward to keep cycling 'till 90~100, lol

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon May 13, 2013 7:11 pm

rheicel wrote:
KonaCommuter wrote: The upshot of that is that I know that I'll still be rolling out the km's when I'm 70 8)
Great, maybe you can share us some of your secret. I am 36 and looking forward to keep cycling 'till 90~100, lol

My mates old man is just shy of 70 and without a word of lie he rolls out 40km every day of the week. Now that's wickedly inspirational. (He's Dutch by birth, Australian by choice)
2012 Oppy A4

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Mon May 13, 2013 7:18 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:
My mates old man is just shy of 70 and without a word of lie he rolls out 40km every day of the week. Now that's wickedly inspirational. (He's Dutch by birth, Australian by choice)
Longevity and strength probably has something to do with the DNA too, not to mention the exercise and eating habits.

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon May 13, 2013 8:35 pm

Did a group ride with a very well known former Aussie Pro Tour riders' father a few weeks ago who is 72. Was rolling with the group no problem at a steady 35-40km/hr

Inspirational.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue May 14, 2013 8:34 am

Rain for the first 20km or so on my way back yesterday afternoon. Quite cozy in the rain jacket, but then the sun came out as I hit the Darebin Creek Trail at Alphington with another 20km to go.
Cold and windy ride this morning into the Melb CBD this morning, but dry at least.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 14, 2013 8:46 am

Something is either wrong with me or the bike. The ride home yesterday was like I had an anchor hanging off the back. Checked the bike last night and nothing seemed to be rubbing/catching. I do have a noise when I get out of the saddle and pedal, but not when I am seated, so not sure what could be causing that.

This morning started off ok, was very overcast and heavy with clouds. Roughly ten k into the ride and it starts to sprinkle, so I pull over, put the "rain" jacket over the top of the warm jacket and immediately know I am going to pay for doing that heat wise, but do it anyways. About 5 minutes after putting it on the sprinkles stop...and remains that way for the rest of the ride. I think about pulling over again and taking the rain jacket off, but I know as soon as I do 500 metres down the road it will start to rain again.

Just didnt feel energetic with the ride today, again just dont know if it is me or the bike.

The weatherman last night predicted possible showers but their pretty pictures said possibility of rain was around the 10% mark. Got to love the weatherman, it is dark here from the black clouds and am just waiting for the clouds to open up and the rain to come bucketing down

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue May 14, 2013 8:57 am

Light drizzles along Epping Road Bike Path this morning. Ride was good but only saw few cyclist on my way to work compared to yesterday.

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue May 14, 2013 8:59 am

Great morning ride for me, caught up with a peloton of proper 'roadies' for a while and decided to engage in a bit of CCR up Parrawi Rd. Well I didn't exactly break them (could hear them chatting effortlessly away behind me) but I think I at least caused a bit of a split and got up the hill pretty quickly for me.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue May 14, 2013 9:38 am

I was under-dressed for the commute yesterday evening. Should have brought the full length tights but I didn't think it'd get that cold that quickly. Ah well at least it didn't rain on me. Left a couple of cyclists in my dust after a set of lights too which was nice.

This morning I was more suitably attired for the very chilly Melbourne temperature. Still wearing the short sleeves but the full length tights are now back on again and were much appreciated. There was an icy headwind for some of the ride which blew through all my layers but at least I was moving to keep the core warm. It was a cloudless blue sky too, which was amusing because the weather forecasters are saying there will be heavy rain and hail today - glad that wasn't on the commute in.

And clearly other cyclists in the building didn't see the forecast either as the racks were busier than they have been recently.

I got honked by a truck driver saying 'move into the gutter so I can pass you to get stuck in traffic further up' on the way in this morning. I saw him coming up behind me and no way was I letting him close shave me so I moved into the right hand wheel track to make sure he couldn't pass without moving into the right hand lane. It was the right move for my safety IMO as I think he overtook the other cyclist who was hugging the left side (that I had just overtaken) without changing lanes.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 am

Summernight wrote:
I got honked by a truck driver saying 'move into the gutter so I can pass you to get stuck in traffic further up' on the way in this morning. I saw him coming up behind me and no way was I letting him close shave me so I moved into the right hand wheel track to make sure he couldn't pass without moving into the right hand lane. It was the right move for my safety IMO as I think he overtook the other cyclist who was hugging the left side (that I had just overtaken) without changing lanes.
You did the right thing in my opinion too....

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue May 14, 2013 10:20 am

gretaboy wrote:
Summernight wrote:
I always feel like such a hog doing it especially when almost everyone else cycle-commuting on that section of road pretty much hug the left and ride close to the parked car doors. I have to keep reminding myself that it is for my own safety and that I don't have to follow the rest of the herd over the cliff...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue May 14, 2013 11:23 am

Summernight wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
Summernight wrote:
I always feel like such a hog doing it especially when almost everyone else cycle-commuting on that section of road pretty much hug the left and ride close to the parked car doors. I have to keep reminding myself that it is for my own safety and that I don't have to follow the rest of the herd over the cliff...
It's all good until you do that and there is a phsychopath ... Or someone texting... Or drunk etc behind the wheel. Then they run you over, and when the cops come say SMIDSY and they are all good. :). Jaded.. Not. :o

Anyway, first wet commute for me for a while in bne this morning. All good. :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue May 14, 2013 2:39 pm

rheicel wrote:Light drizzles along Epping Road Bike Path this morning. Ride was good but only saw few cyclist on my way to work compared to yesterday.
Yep, drizzled all the way to work and only saw a couple of other riders.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue May 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Summernight wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
Summernight wrote:
I have to assert my position in the morning. if you show any hint of enough space you will get passed with mm to spare.
I had a van try to undertake me this morning. He was in the left lane, which mostly for cars turning left. I was in the right lane waiting to go straight ahead at traffic lights. After you cross the intersection there is only one lane, and hero van driver thought he would try his luck and gun it off the line. He learned an important lesson...a bicycle can accelerate faster than a van, and he was forced to merge into my lane behind me. Once through I then moved to the left and he overtook me properly on the right. He lost about 0.3 seconds by behind me.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue May 14, 2013 5:03 pm

I had an awesome commute home today. I'm not 100% however I powered all the way home at a decent (for me) pace. Spied a parked SUV with a shifty driver but got past not a problem only to hear "Kona!!". Turned out to be my friend whom is back from Japan so I had a good chat with her whilst her son held the bars of the child care centre looking forlone. LOL

Parting ways I came across a car that was doing something not so kosher road craft. She stopped for me but I waved her through, best for her to begone. My good deed was quickly rewarded when a motorist started to fail to give way at a roundabout but then realised that it was I, KonaCommuter, and he allowed me through unmolested.

Thank-you white fella magic for your medicine. :P

Ride in wasn't that fun. Look sky gods, either rain or don't. I don't appreciate gearing up for rain just to get hit by very light drizzle.
2012 Oppy A4

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue May 14, 2013 6:20 pm

I took the long way home taking the Lane Cove National Park. Traffic along Lane Cove Road is head to head from stationary to about 15 kph. It is funny how the 55/60 yo driver reacted when I was about to join the road. He hogged all the spaces in front of him and leave no space for me. The next car behind him gave me enough clearance thou.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue May 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Catastrophic failure of the front mudguard and/ or the front brake saw my front mudguard snap and the front brake fly off the wheel ( yes, literally completely off the wheel). Luckily the cable held the brake to the bike. I stopped and managed to use my front light to go back and look for parts. Found the front of the guard. Sheared through right under where the brake sits.

I wasn't too far from home so I slung the brake over the top tube and limped home on the footpath with only the rear brake ( which barely slowed me down). Got home and had a look at the brake. It seems perfectly fine. I slipped it back on the wheel and slotted the bolt back into the hole in the frame. Is there meant to be a nut on the other side holding the brake on the fork? Because I don't seem to have one anymore... :|

The brake seems useable just not firmly attached to the bike. And the mudguard still serves its purpose but I'll either replace or see if I can repair. Anyone got a spare Crud Roadracer Mk II front mudguard? :P

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue May 14, 2013 11:10 pm

That wind today in Melbourne was monumental. I suppose I can only blame myself for riding along the beach where it's even stronger. Morning ride was slow and hard. I didn't get rained on at all. Decided that with the wind I needed the sleeves and back to my jacket this afternoon, that wind was mighty cold. Lasted half the way home before I was well cooked and back to the vest. I do like the way I can just pull the sleeves and back off the jacket. Although the weather looked threatening all day it just shows that some days you can get away with taking the chance and riding in.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 14, 2013 11:23 pm

Summernight wrote:Anyone got a spare Crud Roadracer Mk II front mudguard? :P
Now that you ask...yes I do lol :) But you have given me an idea...maybe it could work on my trusty steed.

This weekend will tell

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Wed May 15, 2013 4:23 am

TigerFilly wrote:I can haz lights! :mrgreen: Image
Now I can't wait to try them out, but there is rain forecast tomorrow and the next few days. Bugger!

Look after yourself Kona, asthma is no fun.

What is that light?

I'm using Fenix BT-20 which I'm very happy with. However I note that my side on visibility isn't there.

Sigh - why there's not a perfect light I do not know
2012 Oppy A4