2013 Black Cats Award

jasonc

Re: 2013 Black Cats Award

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:59 am

old total: 2
+1 - front tyre felt squishy going over a bump then around a corner. looked down sure enough flat front
gp4000s tyre
found a small spec of glass
new total: 3

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:29 pm

+2 = running total of 6

Front on the way out, rear on the way back.

Now they are coming thru thick and fast
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Walst

Postby Walst » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:26 pm

1 new (rear)
1 total

It was my first major ride on my bike with obviously the tubes that came with the bike. Pretty sure I didn't ride over anything, but the tube was all warped in places, particularly on the other side of the valve. I have no idea what the deal was here. Faulty tube? Maybe the bike was on display for an extended period in the scorching West Australian sun (it is a 2011 model after all). Don't know.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:42 pm

Ahhh for crying out load.

Well thats 8. Bloddy glass every where in Canberra at the moment.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:21 pm

jcjordan wrote:Ahhh for crying out load.

Didn't know that Canberra had bogans

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:39 pm

Lost a tyre + tube on Sunday due to a slight nick in the sidewall where the tread meets when I ran over some glass while cornering where a car accident had been earlier. Today I lost the new replacment tyre and tube due to the same type of damage after brushing the rim against uneven road surfaces but on a far greater scale from the bottom of the tyre to midway though the tread.

I didn't post it at the time but heading through northlakes i got a flat rear. Changed the tube over and continued on only to get another flat a couple hundred metres down the road when I picked up even more glass when riding through light dirt in the bike lane.

I think that brings my total to 2 written off tires, 2 potential tires that could be reused and 6 tubes.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:06 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
jcjordan wrote:Ahhh for crying out load.

Didn't know that Canberra had bogans
Lots of them and with no bottle deposit like Adelaide they all think yhat bottles must be thrown outbthe window.

Add to that we dont do any street sweeping anymore. They now only clean up if reported
James

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:40 pm

+1, 9. Piece of wire stuck in the tube instead of the tyre, which made checking the tyre "really fun". Mind you, because it was such a slow leak, I must have been riding on a half-inflated tyre for ages this morning - which was one of my worst rides ever, I had completely bonked before the 80km mark. :evil:

And I picked a bunch of glass out. The fairy will now target me for the next couple of weeks, just to get even.

I hate you, you cow.
Cow with wings.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm snapping at your heals

+1 = running total of 7

Dodged a water bottle which meant I hit a pot hole and flat spotted the rear on the TT bike. After fixing it, we went to ride off and another rider discovered he had a flat. The guy who's water bottle bounced out of its cage when he hit the pot hole didn't flat :|

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:23 pm

Narrowly missed a smashed beer bottle on my way out this afternoon. And on the way back - in the dark, I didn't notice the wreckage of said beer bottle (a dark red one) was smashed elsewhere too. :roll: I stopped immediately after running over it but seemingly got no punctures. :shock:

Shall I be offering some gifts to the god of tyre punctures for being nice to me? :)
jcjordan wrote: Lots of them and with no bottle deposit like Adelaide they all think yhat bottles must be thrown outbthe window.
I hate that! There is heaps of glass smashed everywhere around my area at the moment. I'm cautious and on the look out for it. On shared path areas that are notorious, I'll stop and walk through those sections, carrying the bike. It's better than cutting expensive tyres and going through tubes.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Wed May 01, 2013 9:37 am

Current total as I have counted it
9 twizzle
8 Ozkaban, jcjordan
7 mikesbytes
6 Warnesy, g-boaf
5 wombatK, Lukeyboy
3 Big_Red, __PG__, jasonc
2 birdbrain, Shred931, JohnJoyner, dungee, strawburger
1 breezer1, clydesmcdale, familyguy, gururug, lachlanfry, Timeonabike, Dan, Jimbobtwoshoes, Walst
0 Cruiserman, lump_a_charcoal, Mulger Bill, pacra, rangersac, Mustang, martinjs, Sparx, cerb, vander, RonK

Huge thanks to Twizzle for taking over the lead. Much obliged :mrgreen:

Monthly totals:
January 30
February 10
March 21
April 21

Perhaps time for a reminder that *all* punctures must be justified/described. "I've had two punctures on a ride" doesn't really cut it. Remember, we all want to gloat over your misery and need details to do it properly :twisted: :roll: :mrgreen:

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Wed May 01, 2013 12:02 pm

1 for me. Had just bumped into some friends and was riding along when I felt the familiar pfffft.

First puncture on my Alfine, belt driven bike and it was a bit of a pain in the butt to change. Made even more fun by the comments from the peanut gallery as my friends watched on giving me helpful (useless) bits of advice.

9 twizzle
8 Ozkaban, jcjordan
7 mikesbytes
6 Warnesy, g-boaf
5 wombatK, Lukeyboy
3 Big_Red, __PG__, jasonc
2 birdbrain, Shred931, JohnJoyner, dungee, strawburger
1 breezer1, clydesmcdale, familyguy, gururug, lachlanfry, Timeonabike, Dan, Jimbobtwoshoes, Walst, Sparx
0 Cruiserman, lump_a_charcoal, Mulger Bill, pacra, rangersac, Mustang, martinjs, cerb, vander, RonK

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed May 01, 2013 2:23 pm

twizzle wrote:NNNNNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not again!

:oops: :evil:

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed May 01, 2013 2:47 pm

twizzle wrote:

Not again!

Love the fact that Canberra riders hold so many of the top spots on the list
James

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed May 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Now see this is the problem when one doesn't click on threads because one doesn't understand the title and decides to ignore it instead of investigating further. I can actually play this game!!! :P

My one for the year so far: 4 March - rear flat on the way home riding up Collins Street. Not sure what caused it - possibly some urban debris. Tyre felt funny as I was heading up the hill on MacArthur St. Thought I might be able to pump the tyre up and get a bit closer to home as it hadn't gone 'pfft' so may have been a slow leak but it was an instant flat after that so walked it the 3km home (didn't have any tubes).

So put me in the +1 category. And also put me in the walk of shame category due to not changing my own tube. :P

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed May 01, 2013 7:11 pm

twizzle wrote:

Not again!

+1, 10. A small cut in the tyre, just nicked the tube... no idea what it was. It went down over a couple of minutes, so I got to choose where I stopped, but it spoilt an otherwise good ride home.

And I was out early this morning, so got to see the road surface around sunrise - wow! I reckon there must be a bottle of glass every few square metres on some of the roads I am using.

Sent from my iThingy...

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Thu May 02, 2013 4:47 pm

+1 for me rear = 2 total.

Bunny hopped of a gutter on my singlespeed Mountainbike.... BANG thought I had Rim failure then remembered I have Hyrdo's. :shock:

Blew the tyre off the rim ( wired Maxxis Detonators lived up there name) and bent the wire that bad it popped through the tyre.

Never seen a tube go like in such a catastrophic failure. Moral of the story Never ever by Big W thornproof tubes in a emergency a few weeks ago.

Tyre was only 300 Kms old :evil:

ray

Postby ray » Thu May 02, 2013 7:50 pm

1st one for this year - tied with last year. This was self-inflicted. Dodgy rear fender install - thought I could get away without needing the fender holder on the rear brake chain stay as there was no room. 3/4 through a riverloop on my maiden ride on the new commuter the rear started deflating (glad it was uphill before the corso) - probably heat from the fender as the tube wheel was out of shape with tube bulging out. rode the rest of the way to work and later home paranoid of every noise/creak.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Wed May 08, 2013 5:11 pm

__PG__ wrote: The cut in this tire gave me a very slow puncture which I didn't notice until the next morning after a long ride. I might try a tire boot on it and see if that helps before I bin it.

So thats three for me now.
Got another slow puncture at the same location. I didn't do a perfect job on the patched tube it and it had a very slow leak...i.e. would go flat after four days or so (probably like a latex tube :lol: ). I began to worry that perhaps the patch had started to come off and lose the seal of the initial hole, in which case the tube was useless. The other option was that that maybe I got a new puncture through the same cut in the front tire. I think the tire cut a very small hole in the tube just adjacent to the patch.

So I swapped tubes, put a DIY tire boot in and road home. I didn't want to continue the (solo) ride with potentially only two reparable tubes.

Got home, peeled off the patch (which is indicative of poor vulcanization in any case), sanded the tube back and put on a newer (bigger) patch. Overnight testing seems to indicate that the hole is now properly patched. I'll put this drama down to
a) Gluing the patch on a not fully deflated tube, therefore not pressing down hard enough to bond the patch and tube together.
b) Using a smaller diameter patch. The larger patches are more difficult to get the correct curvature around the tube but IMO they make a better repair.

I've got some proper Park Tool tire boots which I'm going to put onto the inside of the tire. I don't think the cut is big enough for actual foreign object penetration. I think what is happening is that the cut is gradually rubbing against the tube, and over a few hundred kms it abrades the tube enough to create a very small puncture.

Or maybe I should use Shoe Goo?

So that's 4 for me.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue May 14, 2013 10:47 am

I was too busy looking for a gap in the traffic to notice that the fat bitch, the puncture fairy, has sprinkled magic fairy glass on the on-road lane. So, after cutting across between traffic and riding down a narrow strip of road on the wrong side of the slip lane, I found myself with a flat tyre, a huge audience, and had to walk the last 50 metres down to a patch of gravel next to a bridge so I could change the tube, pull the spike of clear glass out of the tyre and get moving again. And it was cold-as. And about every three minutes I had a whole new audience watching me. Luckily I have already learnt that, when you are changing a tyre, you FACE the audience, so I didn't get any appreciative comments.

+1, 11.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Tue May 14, 2013 4:44 pm

ROFL twizzle, thanks for passing on that bit of quality edumacation. :)

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Tue May 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Another one for me on Friday morning, didn't like that tube anyway...
And up to 7 I go.

Walst

Postby Walst » Wed May 15, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm pretty sure I pinched the tube this morning. Never done that before so I'm not entirely sure. Story goes I replaced my front tube this morning after snapping the valve in the pump (another first). So I got about 5-10 minutes into my ride and sssffffffffffffffffffff - brand new tube just goes completely flat. It was a nice flat bit of path with no offending objects such as glass/nails in sight. So I can only imagine this is a pinched tube yeah?

Total for the year: 2

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed May 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Walst wrote:I'm pretty sure I pinched the tube this morning. Never done that before so I'm not entirely sure. Story goes I replaced my front tube this morning after snapping the valve in the pump (another first). So I got about 5-10 minutes into my ride and sssffffffffffffffffffff - brand new tube just goes completely flat. It was a nice flat bit of path with no offending objects such as glass/nails in sight. So I can only imagine this is a pinched tube yeah?

Total for the year: 2
Where was the hole?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 16, 2013 8:42 am

__PG__ wrote:
__PG__ wrote: The cut in this tire gave me a very slow puncture which I didn't notice until the next morning after a long ride. I might try a tire boot on it and see if that helps before I bin it.

So thats three for me now.
Got another slow puncture at the same location. I didn't do a perfect job on the patched tube it and it had a very slow leak...i.e. would go flat after four days or so (probably like a latex tube :lol: ). I began to worry that perhaps the patch had started to come off and lose the seal of the initial hole, in which case the tube was useless. The other option was that that maybe I got a new puncture through the same cut in the front tire. I think the tire cut a very small hole in the tube just adjacent to the patch.

So I swapped tubes, put a DIY tire boot in and road home. I didn't want to continue the (solo) ride with potentially only two reparable tubes.

Got home, peeled off the patch (which is indicative of poor vulcanization in any case), sanded the tube back and put on a newer (bigger) patch. Overnight testing seems to indicate that the hole is now properly patched. I'll put this drama down to
a) Gluing the patch on a not fully deflated tube, therefore not pressing down hard enough to bond the patch and tube together.
b) Using a smaller diameter patch. The larger patches are more difficult to get the correct curvature around the tube but IMO they make a better repair.

I've got some proper Park Tool tire boots which I'm going to put onto the inside of the tire. I don't think the cut is big enough for actual foreign object penetration. I think what is happening is that the cut is gradually rubbing against the tube, and over a few hundred kms it abrades the tube enough to create a very small puncture.

Or maybe I should use Shoe Goo?

So that's 4 for me.
I didn't know those tyre boots even existed. I'm going to order a few. I've been ultra careful with my riding recently and did manage to avoid any punctures so far. But a couple of cuts in the tyre, though they didn't get through to the tube thank heavens.