New shop in Carnegie

fitz

New shop in Carnegie

Postby fitz » Thu May 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Just passing along Dandenong Rd today and saw a new place getting fitted out. Bicycle HQ. Anyone know anything exciting about this place or is it just another mass production outlet?
Can I have some of these?

kukamunga

Re: New shop in Carnegie

Postby kukamunga » Thu May 28, 2009 5:02 pm

There are already three bike shops in Dandenong Road, Carnegie within a hundred metres of each other - Anaconda, Bikes Direct and Fitzroy Cycles. Is this another bike store (noting the building that Dick Smith Powerhouse has just vacated), or just taking over Bikes Direct? Four stores within a few hundred metres may be a bit of overkill for the area - it's not what I'd call a popular cycling route (Highway 1 - Princes Hwy) :roll:

fitz

Postby fitz » Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Yeah another one, huge front. West of Fitzroys. I 'm supposing they'll fill it with Giants etc.

Madgan

Postby Madgan » Thu May 28, 2009 7:49 pm

Those are my LBS's, I live just across the street

Heaps of advertising in local paper etc for new store in the new development. Giants etc

Grand opening is 6 June
Inexa C1 09 - The Usual One
Giant Trance X3- The Bouncy One (New & Improved!!)
Kuota Kalibur - The FAST One
Honda VFR800 10 - The Noisy One

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu May 28, 2009 8:38 pm

I've moved this thread to the Victoria Forum, since it's not of any interest to people from other states.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri May 29, 2009 7:16 pm

This would have to have the best shop frontage in Melbourne! :shock: Giant decals were going up today. Website is up. Evidently run by the reputable Ivanhoe Cycles guys. Note Drummond Golf next door (who said "cycling is the new golf" ?), and Fitzroy Cycles in far left of pic (Bill aint too happy)

Also on the cards ia a new Pac Brands / Bicycle Hub store in North Carlton in a few months...... Where are all these new shops going to find skilled staff / qualified Mechanics to work in these establishments ?

didge

Postby didge » Fri May 29, 2009 7:47 pm

kukamunga wrote:Evidently run by the reputable Ivanhoe Cycles guys.
That's interesting. I've been to them a few times, bought my ex CRX off them. Always friendly and helpful.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 29, 2009 10:13 pm

kukamunga wrote:Also on the cards ia a new Pac Brands / Bicycle Hub store in North Carlton in a few months...... Where are all these new shops going to find skilled staff / qualified Mechanics to work in these establishments ?
Getting a Bike Hub in Sunbury too, same location as Pedallers West who closed a month or so back.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fitz

Postby fitz » Sat May 30, 2009 10:23 am

kukamunga wrote: (Bill aint too happy)
Karma! Miserable rude person. IMHO

loti

Postby loti » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 pm

fitz wrote:
kukamunga wrote: (Bill aint too happy)
Karma! Miserable rude person. IMHO
Interesting you say that, I purchased something from Fitzroy cycles a couple of years ago, shorlty after the purchase I went in to get some advise about a problem I was having with said item.
The response was so profoundly rude it left me speachless.

I left never to return.

No idea who it was that served me though.

Would have prefered my first post to be a positive one but not to worry.

Hi all and look forward to going in for a look at the new LBS

fitz

Postby fitz » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:40 am

Yep!

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Got a quick fix on my bike at this shop yesterday and the service was pretty good. I was chatting to the Service Manager and he mentioned he used to be the Victorian SRAM rep. Said i'd keep it in mind when the time came to service the Force :D
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

Big Jonny

Postby Big Jonny » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:03 pm

Also on the cards ia a new Pac Brands / Bicycle Hub store in North Carlton in a few months...... Where are all these new shops going to find skilled staff / qualified Mechanics to work in these establishments ?[/quote]

Hi kukamunga
busted a spoke Monday and as luck would have it the Velo Bike hub servicing store cnr of Park and Nicholson st Carlton North (retail store and cafe will be coming soon next door) opened on Tuesday, I got great service from very qualified Mechs felt well sorted and they even fixed up my bent fron deraileur (bent from dropping it infront of a tram) free of charge, the steed runs smooth as with no chain noise now and I got a $25 voucher to spend on accessories when the store opens. Very smart chaps opening up on one of the most used bike paths in the north of the city. Check them out they give you a loan bike or a tram ticket as well if you are getting a service. They have a great computer set up that texts you to remind you of your book in time and when the job is complete. Cheers Big Jonny (a very satisfied Velo Bike Hub client)

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:12 pm

Two of the guys at Velo Bike Hub are recent ex-Cecil Walker employees, so they must be good..... :wink:

elmo

Postby elmo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:56 pm

i won't ever return to Fitzroy Cycles. Was served by a greasy haired mech when I as looking for a part, asked him nicely if they had the part I was after and all I got was a smartarse reply. Me and the GF were also looking at buying a Specialized Dolce THAT day. Needless to say, we quickly went to another Avanti Store (Braybrook) and was treated with a great deal of respect and spent our money there.

Not sure if the mech from Fitzroy Cycles is this Bill you guys were referring to.... but nevetheless, I won't spend a single dollar in there.

/rant over. :D

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:31 am

Bill is the sometimes gruff, long time owner/ proprietor of said shop.....

Seems to be something about shop owners of that generation. A lot of them are 'grumpy old farts' (ex roadies?) :? :wink:

grosry

Postby grosry » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:09 pm

seems cheap on the website... little to far for me to travel though!
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit however, it will last forever." - Lance Armstrong

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:35 am

Checked out BHQ yesterday. A bit bland in that it is mostly Giant, Giant, Giant.....

Rumours of another chain store opening nearby (if you consider Chadstone local), making six bike shops in the area. A bit much for one store, who are pulling up stumps at the end of the year..... :roll:

elmo

Postby elmo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm

We went in there today. Small store considering the huge shop front! It mainly had Giants. There was a Pinarello and Colnago on the floor.

We were in there for about 10 mins and not even a greeting from anyone.

dewulf

Postby dewulf » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:46 pm

elmo wrote:We went in there today. Small store considering the huge shop front! It mainly had Giants. There was a Pinarello and Colnago on the floor.

We were in there for about 10 mins and not even a greeting from anyone.
been in there a couple of times (fitzroy too) in the last few weeks (was in the area a lot lately anyway so kept popping in). bought a well reduced tarmac at fitzroy :D , service was good for me overall there.

at this new store i had a (very young and not particularly in shape) guy tell me what bike size i took, contradicting what i just told him - which was based on a fair bit of shopping around at places like bsc bikes. of course he was trying to sell me a giant that looked small enough to be kid's bike, so i just smiled and left. and yes unless you're up for a colnago or pinarello, it's nothing but giants.

russells

Postby russells » Tue May 14, 2013 8:15 pm

This thread has been up for a long time, but it seems not much has changed with these three shops. I needed a $10 part for a retro bike... Bicycle HQ said they didn't have it. Suggested maybe buy a new bike... didn't suggest ordering it in.
Fitzroy Cycles (Bill?) made me feel silly (not the first time) and said they don't keep parts for old bikes. Also didn't suggest ordering it in. Doubt if I will ever return there.
Walked into shop number 3, Bikes Direct, where I found a friendly helpful salesperson who said, "no problem, we will order it in and call you in a couple of days when it arrives".
It was only a 10 dollar part, but will return there. (I am also shopping for a new road bike. Sorry Bill.)

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 am

yeah my experience with fitzroy cycles wasn't the best either.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu May 16, 2013 3:40 pm

russells wrote: Walked into shop number 3, Bikes Direct, where I found a friendly helpful salesperson who said, "no problem, we will order it in and call you in a couple of days when it arrives".
It was only a 10 dollar part, but will return there. (I am also shopping for a new road bike. Sorry Bill.)
If the part arrives in a couple of days. I've had some fairly ordinary times getting small parts ordered into my local LBS although to be fair, I suspect half the time the problem is with the distributor.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0