Identify Bike Chain / Gears

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Identify Bike Chain / Gears

Postby bm187 » Wed May 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Hey there,

I'm attempting to restore my fathers old bike and it is in need of a new chain. Can anyone identify the gear structure and chain type needed to replace this one!?

Seems there are 5 gears on the back with a derailleur and 2 gears on the front.

Pics below – Thanks!

bm187

by BNA » Wed May 15, 2013 5:22 pm

BNA

Re: Identify Bike Chain / Gears

Postby Mozzar » Thu May 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Doesn't matter what brand the chain is as long as it is suitable for 5 speed and you must remember that your chain and cluster should be kept as a matched set or you might have problems with a slipping chain. I would sugest getting a new chain and cluster.
Most 7 speed chains these days are suitable for 5 speed anyway but you might waht to check that it is suitable before buying.
Mozzar

Postby zero » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Mozzar wrote:Doesn't matter what brand the chain is as long as it is suitable for 5 speed and you must remember that your chain and cluster should be kept as a matched set or you might have problems with a slipping chain. I would sugest getting a new chain and cluster.
Most 7 speed chains these days are suitable for 5 speed anyway but you might waht to check that it is suitable before buying.

I'd be suprised to find he needs a new freewheel. I usually get 3 chains per cluster, and 9 speed cassettes with vaguely modern profiling wear far faster than thick old 5 speed freewheel sprockets.
zero

Postby ironhanglider » Thu May 16, 2013 5:17 pm

zero wrote:
Mozzar wrote:Doesn't matter what brand the chain is as long as it is suitable for 5 speed and you must remember that your chain and cluster should be kept as a matched set or you might have problems with a slipping chain. I would sugest getting a new chain and cluster.

I'd be suprised to find he needs a new freewheel. I usually get 3 chains per cluster, and 9 speed cassettes with vaguely modern profiling wear far faster than thick old 5 speed freewheel sprockets.

I wouldn't be surprised though it will depend on wear.

On the other hand there is a good chance that the gear levers are not indexed, so it is likely that he could get a 7 speed cluster which are more commonly available, cheap and shift better too.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu May 16, 2013 10:17 pm

Your dads old bike is running a Suntour Cyclone drivetrain that would indicate a 6 speed freewheel. I would go to the Ribblecycles.com and buy this:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

A great chain that will last along time.
singlespeedscott

Return to Buying a bike / parts