2013 Giro d'Italia

In your opinion, who will be in the Top 3 at the end of the Giro d'Italia 2013?

Poll ended at Tue May 07, 2013 1:23 am

BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto
No votes
POZZOVIVO Domenico
No votes
SELLA Emanuele
No votes
KESSIAKOFF Fredrik
No votes
NIBALI Vincenzo
29%
GESINK Robert
No votes
KELDERMAN Wilco
No votes
EVANS Cadel
10%
BASSO Ivan
2%
DUARTE AREVALO Fabio Andres
No votes
MARTINEZ DE ESTEBAN Egoi
No votes
SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel
2%
VERDUGO MARCOTEGUI Gorka
No votes
JEANNESSON Arnold
No votes
DEKKER Thomas
2%
HESJEDAL Ryder
21%
STETINA Peter
No votes
SCARPONI Michele
3%
SERPA PEREZ Jose Rodolfo
2%
COBO ACEBO Juan Jose
No votes
HERRADA LOPEZ José
No votes
INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Benat
No votes
WEENING Pieter
No votes
KISERLOVSKI Robert
No votes
MACHADO Tiago
No votes
HENAO MONTOYA Sergio
No votes
WIGGINS Bradley
31%
URAN URAN Rigoberto
No votes
SANTAMBROGIO Mauro
No votes

Total votes: 62
jules21

Re: 2013 Giro d'Italia

Postby jules21 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:36 pm

The_Eggman wrote:Bmc squad not deep enuf to cover climbing in both tours
i've never understood why this is important. at last year's Tour, Cadel had Tejay with him in the mountains. Tejay was stronger than him.. it didn't help Cadel. what does it matter if Cadel is on his own in the mountains?

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Wed May 15, 2013 6:14 pm

jules21 wrote:
The_Eggman wrote:Bmc squad not deep enuf to cover climbing in both tours
i've never understood why this is important. at last year's Tour, Cadel had Tejay with him in the mountains. Tejay was stronger than him.. it didn't help Cadel. what does it matter if Cadel is on his own in the mountains?
I can see the logic in having so,e support in the mtns, even if just to set the pace, carry some water bottles, and provide a bit of focus in maintaining an appropriate pace etc.

I'm no expert, but I always feel (rightly or wrongly) that having team support is less important in the mtns than moderate slopes. In the mtns it always seems that a lot of it is about whether you have the fitness/legs to get up, and the balls to descend the way they do.

I would like to hear some thoughts on this, as maybe what I've always thought has always Ben wrong?!

On the topic of whether BMC have the depth in the team to support a pitch at both Giro and TdF, same still applies - if you've got a GC guy 40 seconds off the pace, and the opportunity to win theGiro presents itself, are you gonna not take it to save yourself for the tour??

In terms of Cadel, maybe they'll do a Cadel tilt at the Giro, with a back up option of TeeJay to lead in the TdF ?!

Just thoughts.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed May 15, 2013 6:46 pm

Love the fights for time bonuses ... and Cadel showing he doesn't mind a bunch finish with the other GC candidates.

Santo Cilauro points out that the Pope actually blessed the pink jersey, shortly before blessing the bootload of EPO.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Wed May 15, 2013 7:04 pm

clackers wrote:Love the fights for time bonuses...
Agree totally, IMO this it what the TDF is missing atm.

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Wed May 15, 2013 7:23 pm

I agree that Cadel must be thinking he could win it. I'm not so sure about his strategy. Waiting for Nibali to falter doesn't sound like a winning plan, unless Cadel is very confident that Nibali will lose time somewhere. I'd like to think that Cadel would have a view on when and how he should take the initiative.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Wed May 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Cadel is able to match Nibali so far, but I'm not sure if he will be able to successfully attack him unless he can out last him in the third week. The new dangerman IMO is Uran. He is now in third place and Nibali won't be able to afford to let him go again. Uran could win this. That would be an upset wouldn't it. ;-)
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Wed May 15, 2013 8:03 pm

I don't think your team helps so much on the ascent ( other than perhaps setting a tempo for you) but rather the associated descending and transition ground

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu May 16, 2013 11:48 am

I'm no expert, Eggman, but isn't the draft effect less apparent once there's a safety gap between descenders?

I'd have thought it's an individual skill by and large and teams reform once they're on the transition

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Thu May 16, 2013 11:54 am

Hey I'm making this up myself I'm no expert. I think though if you aren't a great descender having someone to pick lines and manage pace helps

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Thu May 16, 2013 6:23 pm

Hey, you know, I'd love a European ca... (hits mute button).
Long day's journey into alt-bars

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Thu May 16, 2013 6:29 pm

The_Eggman wrote:Hey I'm making this up myself I'm no expert. I think though if you aren't a great descender having someone to pick lines and manage pace helps
Yeah, good point

BUT...

that doesn't mean the guy you are following has to be from your team? .... just pick anyone who is known to be a good descender, jump in behind them ....

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 17, 2013 7:11 am

& Sir Sideburns is goooone - lost another 3 minutes on a sprint stage today. No prizes for guessing who won the sprint

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Fri May 17, 2013 8:58 am

Sir Sideburns..... ha ha ha !!...

There was a post somewhere (or may have been a media article) that said perhaps they should start having bonus points for not only sprints, KOM etc, but also longest sideburns....

Last night (Thurs) and tonight (Fri) stages appear to be ones where the GC guys will rest their legs ready for the upcoming climbing stages...

Next week is where it's all at....

Bit of discussion emerging now about whether Evans continues to remain competitive in the Giro, or maintains a focus on the TdF - either way looks like he is in better form than last year....

Does he think he has it in him to do the Giro/TdF double? Only 7 other riders have ever done it?

Does Evans go for broke in the Giro and then team BMC look to TeJay VG to lead (or be back up) in the TdF?

awesome weeks/months of grand tour cycling ahead....

The_Eggman

Postby The_Eggman » Fri May 17, 2013 10:07 am

If Cadel wins the Giro my guess is BMC will run with TJ as their lead rider at TdF

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 17, 2013 10:19 am

AndyTheMan wrote:Sir Sideburns..... ha ha ha !!...

There was a post somewhere (or may have been a media article) that said perhaps they should start having bonus points for not only sprints, KOM etc, but also longest sideburns....
That would be me on page 1 quoting a cyclingnews article
find_bruce wrote:I particularly liked their comment on stage 8
cyclingnews.com wrote:Short of giving time bonuses for sideburns and swearing in press conferences, RCS could hardly have issued a more blatant invitation to Bradley Wiggins to come and fight for pink than this 55-kilometre time trial
AndyTheMan wrote:Does he think he has it in him to do the Giro/TdF double? Only 7 other riders have ever done it?

Does Evans go for broke in the Giro and then team BMC look to TeJay VG to lead (or be back up) in the TdF?
With Cadel looking the business so far on the Giro & TJ likewise in the tour of California, I expect both will go to the TdF & the team will make a decision when & if it needs to - history show the benefit of options at le tour

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 17, 2013 10:33 am

I don't believe Wiggins sees himself as domestique to anyone. If he can't lead he'll abandon. The excuses are already flowing.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Fri May 17, 2013 12:24 pm

find_bruce wrote:

That would be me on page 1 quoting a cyclingnews article

Yeah, that was it!!!

find_bruce wrote:With Cadel looking the business so far on the Giro & TJ likewise in the tour of California, I expect both will go to the TdF & the team will make a decision when & if it needs to - history show the benefit of options at le tour
This is my thinking also...

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Fri May 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Wouldn't it be a big advantage to have two GC contenders in the one team? It certainly worked for Sky last year. From a team perspective as long as one of them wins, they all win. Having a team mate up with you in the mountains is a big advantage.

That said, even if TJ wins ToC and Cadel doesn't get the Giro, I still think Cadel should be captain for the TdF. Experience is king. Just look at Jens.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Zynster wrote:That said, even if TJ wins ToC and Cadel doesn't get the Giro, I still think Cadel should be captain for the TdF. Experience is king. Just look at Jens.
Giro > AToC, it would be unfair to weight a win by Tejay more heavily than a podium by Cadel at the Giro. Cadel - assuming he holds up - has shown himself to be the marquee rider.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:58 pm

You do realize he shaved the sideburns a while ago???

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Fri May 17, 2013 3:37 pm

I hope Cadel can get up but trying to get back 41 seconds on Nibali in the mountains will be difficult. The mountain stage ITT should be an absoulte cracker !!!!! And the poor Team Time Trial by BMC could be very costly. Still a long way to go !!!!
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 17, 2013 3:52 pm

dalai47 wrote:

You do realize he shaved the sideburns a while ago???
So that explains Wiggins' poor form! His Samson moment. :lol:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:53 pm

Trev Campbell wrote:I hope Cadel can get up but trying to get back 41 seconds on Nibali in the mountains will be difficult. The mountain stage ITT should be an absoulte cracker !!!!! And the poor Team Time Trial by BMC could be very costly. Still a long way to go !!!!
anything is possible. GTs are unpredictable. Cadel is right in the hunt. agree on the ITT!

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri May 17, 2013 7:07 pm

And it's arrivederci to Wiggins and Hejsedal.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri May 17, 2013 8:17 pm

clackers wrote:And it's arrivederci to Wiggins and Hejsedal.
Wiggins looked happy being at the Giro. Check out the photo.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... -dies.html