Bicycle Steering Lock

hartleymartin

Bicycle Steering Lock

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:04 pm

I have heard of such things, but is there an after-market steering lock that I can fit to my bicycle? basically I have had some problems with my bicycle falling over (despite the bi-pod kickstand) when the front wheel turns suddenly and overbalances when parked.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Bicycle Steering Lock

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:05 pm

Dunno 'bout anything new Martin. If you just need the wheel straight ahead for stand parking, try a toestrap around the downtube and thru the wheel.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kahu

Postby kahu » Sat May 11, 2013 12:15 am

In reply to your post about a bicycle steering lock, which I realize is several years old now, I reckon it would be a great idea. As a touring cyclist with a very heavy bike I think that most times when my bike falls over it would have been prevented by a steering lock. Usually the wheel swings and the bike slides. Sure a strap or clip to the wheel would fix it, but even better would be a simple push in pin at the steering column. Quick, simple and durable. If anyone makes one I'd been keen to find out about it.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon May 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Haven't seen a steering lock marketed for years, back in the days of quill stems, be even harder to find considering the plethora of headset conventions now. The alternative might be something like a steering damper, a spring or rubber block mounted under the downtube and connected to the fork to limit wheel flop when parked. Some cargo and touring frames even come with a mount under the downtube for fixing these on.
http://www.rosebikes.com/article/hebie- ... /aid:51515

Mozzar

Postby Mozzar » Thu May 16, 2013 2:50 pm

If there was a steering lock on a bike like a pin or something then what would happen if i accidently pushed it and suddenly had to turn.... major crash and cursing for having that steering lock.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri May 17, 2013 4:34 pm

^^^ You'd ride with the steering lock pin in a position where it could engage midride? This makes as much sense as having a Club lock sitting on your steering wheel ready to close while you are driving?