Interesting Cinelli item

silverlight

Interesting Cinelli item

Postby silverlight » Fri May 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi All
I have come across a water bottle jacket so to speak.
Ive been browsing the net to look for others but unable to locate any and my question is were these actually used or just a gimmick?
My initial thoughts were that during the seasons to keep the drinking water at a reasonable temperature however these would have been put in the rear of the jersey as wouldn't fit into cage.
Anyone know of these jackets?

SL

GaryF

Re: Interesting Cinelli item

Postby GaryF » Fri May 17, 2013 8:09 pm

I've seen photos with Eddy Merckx and Beppe Saronni using these bidon covers in actual races. They are part of a Cinelli set of accessories called a VIP set. These sets are really expensive now. These sets consist of the suede biddon cover, a suede singles pouch that fastens under the saddle, the suede covered saddle with an extended alloy fastening bolt to replace the shorter Campy item (the Cinelli saddle has thicker alloy rails), suede covered handlebars with stem attached and matching leather laminated toe straps. the sets could be bought in a variety of colours and pieces could be purchased individually.

Here is a photo of the VIP set:

silverlight

Postby silverlight » Fri May 17, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks gary
WOW what a nice bike there. The blue looks fantastic and i bet it rides really well.
I cant see myself ever obtaining the VIP complete set but great to know what to look for.

SL

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri May 17, 2013 11:09 pm

silverlight wrote:Thanks gary
WOW what a nice bike there. The blue looks fantastic and i bet it rides really well.
I cant see myself ever obtaining the VIP complete set but great to know what to look for.

SL
There's a gold and black part VIP set on ebay at the moment and I think the asking price is a little over $6000 - bars/stem, saddle and spare single pouch - that's outlandish!!! It is a very rare set though.

If I had to sell my bikes, for whatever reason, the Cinelli would be the last one to go. It has criterium geometry so it's pretty twitchy - probably not my nicest riding bike but I had my nose pressed up against the bike shop window for a couple of years (1985/6/7) before I could buy the frame.

Paul Watson

Postby Paul Watson » Sat May 18, 2013 9:46 am

You are both wrong - it is a stubby holder!