Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

jcjordan

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby jcjordan » Sat May 18, 2013 7:23 pm

ningnangnong wrote:Ordered a jersey with Prendas last night- was packed and shipped only a few hours after I ordered! Was delighted to find postage was only £4.
Love Prendas.

Really good gear at great prices, especially Santini.

If you are looking for some Belgium Booties I would suggest there new bright Yellow ones.

You do need to accept that they use Royal Mail and it can take up to two weeks to get to you.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

LM324

Postby LM324 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Regardless of whether or not it was cell bikes fault, it does surprise me that people can urgently need a part, decide to buy it online because it is cheaper and then complain that when it doesn't get delivered the next day. This is one of the known risks with buying online. Buy from your LBS if you need something now.
jcjordan wrote:I know that most shops in Canberra who stock the SwissStop pads that I like charge a arm and a leg

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat May 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Philipthelam wrote:Regardless of whether or not it was cell bikes fault, it does surprise me that people can urgently need a part, decide to buy it online because it is cheaper and then complain that when it doesn't get delivered the next day. This is one of the known risks with buying online. Buy from your LBS if you need something now.
jcjordan wrote:I know that most shops in Canberra who stock the SwissStop pads that I like charge a arm and a leg
I consider Cell as a LBS and I would not have minded if they had said no to my request. I also would not have held them at fault if the had packed/sent the product as promised and it had not arrived.

I did a trip around Canberra today to see if anyone had some Swissstop Yellows. Found them in one shop. Dear god, now I remember why I dont buy them here in Australia but from O/S.
James

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 18, 2013 9:17 pm

Philipthelam wrote:Regardless of whether or not it was cell bikes fault, it does surprise me that people can urgently need a part, decide to buy it online because it is cheaper and then complain that when it doesn't get delivered the next day. This is one of the known risks with buying online. Buy from your LBS if you need something now.
Mmm JC placed the order via the PHONE and was ADVISED that it would in the mail that afternoon via EXPRESS post. So not sure how this is one on the known risks of buying online unless talking to someone on the phone is no longer old school and is the "new online" :wink:

Andrew

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:29 pm

As soon as there is shipping involved it isn't a LBS.

The pros of Online is usually a cheaper price but the cost is the extra time taken for the item to ship. Doesn't matter if it is around the corner or arround the globe... If you want something immediately you need to pay the premium and pick it up yourself.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat May 18, 2013 9:41 pm

dalai47 wrote:As soon as there is shipping involved it isn't a LBS.

The pros of Online is usually a cheaper price but the cost is the extra time taken for the item to ship. Doesn't matter if it is around the corner or arround the globe... If you want something immediately you need to pay the premium and pick it up yourself.
So if your LBS needs to order a item in its now a online purchase?
James

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat May 18, 2013 9:44 pm

dalai47 wrote:As soon as there is shipping involved it isn't a LBS.

In this case I was paying a premium by using the LBS/Cell as they are more expensive than any of the Online/Euro stores.
James

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:07 pm

You expected preferential treatment by phoning direct to cut the queue and their regular warehouse distribution process.
jcjordan wrote:So if your LBS needs to order a item in its now a online purchase?
If it isn't on the shelf, then for all intensive purposes it is exactly like ordering online; especially when you want the item now.
jcjordan wrote:In this case I was paying a premium by using the LBS/Cell as they are more expensive than any of the Online/Euro stores.
But wanted it faster than the usual 5-7 days items usually take to come from Europe. And although more expensive than OS, still cheaper than from any shops in Canberra...

You keep referring CELL as being a LBS. From a quick check on google maps - 280km from Canberra - 2 hours 58 min doesn't sound local to me.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sat May 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Regardless of difference in our options over some of the interpretations.

At the end of the day they said they could pack and send the day and at 3pm the next day it it was still not even picked.

It comes down to keeping promises.
James

Dan

Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby Dan » Sun May 19, 2013 6:54 am

jcjordan wrote:Regardless of difference in our options over some of the interpretations.

At the end of the day they said they could pack and send the day and at 3pm the next day it it was still not even picked.

It comes down to keeping promises.
That's the actual core of it, isn't it. Disappointing? Sure. Surprising? Hardly.

I might have been a bit frank earlier, but still, I agree with the majority of the comments above - if you want something straight away, buck up and pay retail.

As much as I want to use Cell (as I've always had good experiences with them), in reality I rarely do, as a) they almost never have what I'm looking for (pre 90s campag salmon kool stops, anyone?) and b) if they happen to, they are much more expensive than the other large online retailers.

I think what irked me about the situation was that you had the opportunity to ensure you had a set of spare brake pads in your self-determined timeframe, but chose to risk that in the interest of saving a few dollars.

Something about having cake and eating it...

Of course, the amusing part of this (for me) is that this is all in the context of a spare set of brake pads, when you mentioned the bike had new pads anyway. How many km's were you planning on doing in Canberra's hills this weekend? ;)

In any case, glad you got a suitable outcome. I'd view it as a reality check in expectation management, yet still give the points to Mark.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun May 19, 2013 8:12 am

With all transactions there is an element of risk. Online transactions have the whole delivery risk. Local transactions have the in-stock or high price risk. If you want it now go local, and possibly end up going to several shops to find the product and pay the premium. If you want to save cash, online plus delivery risk.

Had to get new disc pads before a race two weeks ago. LBS servicing at the race had some pads, but at a premium, I nearly fell over when he told me how much (and he'd knocked $5 off RRP), but paid up because there was no way I was getting pads shipped in within 12hrs.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun May 19, 2013 8:27 am

I needed the pads due a unexpected trip up to Mt Macedon.

New area with lots of hills on carbon breakpads. Just nice to have spares.

One think I can say is I wont let my spares bucket run down again. The box from Wiggles wont be a on the bike pickup :-o
James

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Sun May 19, 2013 12:32 pm

jcjordan wrote:I needed the pads due a unexpected trip up to Mt Macedon.

New area with lots of hills on carbon breakpads. Just nice to have spares.

One think I can say is I wont let my spares bucket run down again. The box from Wiggles wont be a on the bike pickup :-o
I am curious as to what sort of mileage you get from a set of pads?

If its so little you need to carry spare pads I'm glad I don't have carbon wheels.

I have done over 5000kms on my current pads and there still fine and yes I go up and down hills every day.

Maybe you use your brakes too much?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Sun May 19, 2013 1:30 pm

It more a precautionary measure. Normally the pads last for ages but every once in a while you get forced to make a really heavy stop or something gets brought up and damages a pad. The same reason that I bring a spare tire with me. Nothing worse then going on a work trip with the bike and having you rides buggered up because you cant get to a shop.
James

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 20, 2013 6:52 am

ozzymac wrote: I am curious as to what sort of mileage you get from a set of pads?

If its so little you need to carry spare pads I'm glad I don't have carbon wheels.
Depends on the brand. I've finished a race and found I went through about 2/3'rds of the front KoolStops in ~60km. SwissStop lasts a lot longer but run hotter, so I don't trust them with my cheap rims. I've gone back to using cork shoes, as it's the OEM choice for one of my rims and I hope they know what they are doing.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Mon May 20, 2013 11:13 am

jcjordan wrote:It comes down to keeping promises.
You are most certainly right! This morning, we are seeing where a promise that was made between us and a customer fell down.

The lady you spoke to is new, and she will definitely make sure that what she promises is carried out. We simply cannot have any situation where someone
promises something (and means it), but it isn't seen through. We all take responsibility at CELL, and "I didn't know", or "it's not my job to...." or other 'handball' type
phrases will never fly here.

Again, thanks for everyone's feedback, it only makes us better, and when we read comments directly from customers, it carries so much more weight than if I alone am saying it.

-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.this link is broken/contact-us

CELL Bikes

Postby CELL Bikes » Mon May 20, 2013 11:17 am

Dan wrote:I'd view it as a reality check in expectation management, yet still give the points to Mark.
Reality checks are good! All of you have been so great with constructive feedback. Now, every CELL employee knows that if we stuff up, it may turn up here, it serves as motivation to always do our best, no matter how tired you are, or if it's 4:55pm on a Friday and you have a huge weekend planned.

As long as CELL employees are on the clock, they will know that we serve you, and must do so with 100% effort and accountability.

Thanks again everyone.
-website mgr Mark
What do you think about our Sydney Bike Shop? Let me know! Help us improve!
http://www.this link is broken/contact-us

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon May 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Ordered some over shoes and Speedplay cleats from CELL Bikes last week, and they came today.
Brilliant service and communication - definitely will use them again!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

LM324

Postby LM324 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:29 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Mmm JC placed the order via the PHONE and was ADVISED that it would in the mail that afternoon via EXPRESS post. So not sure how this is one on the known risks of buying online unless talking to someone on the phone is no longer old school and is the "new online" :wink:

Andrew
What's the title of this thread?

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Mon May 20, 2013 2:34 pm

I ordered an Altura Night Vision jacket from Wiggle last week, and it arrived in exactly a week. Very pleased with my purchase, it fits perfectly (I read all their reviews to see what size to buy) and is way better quality than anything I could buy instore here for only $70 including postage. I am like a kid with a present, sitting here typing in my jacket and not wanting to take it off.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon May 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Wiggle order processed 16th on May, arrived today at my office.
4 days, brilliant.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

boss

Postby boss » Mon May 20, 2013 4:06 pm

I am out to 17 days from dispatch on not one but two orders from c r c.

Sent to two different addresses... one is going to work, one is going to my PO BOX. Did that by accident... but yeah, seems like someone at Royal Mail hates me.

If these two have gone missing (which I suspect they will), that will be three parcels via Royal Mail that have gone missing for me in the last two months. Argh!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon May 20, 2013 5:08 pm

Yep, thats why I avoid c r c and PBK.
But I have stuff coming from Ribble & Prendas at the moment using Royal Mail so I'm praying the postage gods will be no more than 2 weeks.

boss

Postby boss » Mon May 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Rex wrote:Yep, thats why I avoid c r c and PBK.
But I have stuff coming from Ribble & Prendas at the moment using Royal Mail so I'm praying the postage gods will be no more than 2 weeks.
last order I had from Ribble got smoked by Royal mail, lost in post and they sent again using parcelforce

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon May 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Bought goods from Wiggle on Thursday. Received today (Monday afternoon). :shock:

That has got to be a record for me for goods from an overseas company.