The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

twizzle

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby twizzle » Fri May 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Leaving work this evening, I've just swiped the pass to keep the big security door open after a car left, when another rider shoots past me on the wrong side of the "road". Now, we are leaving from level B1, but the exit from that level end as a blind T-junction and has to give way to traffic leaving from B2, so there is a give way warning, a mirror and a stop line. Dumb rider who went past me without slowing, gets to the bottom of the ramp and swings left to go through the gate... he never even looked to his right. The car slammed the brakes on, the poor girl driving it was totally shaken up.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Red Rider wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Dumb cyclist? Me and anyone else in Perth who rode in the early morning. :lol:
It was a lovely morning for a ride! :twisted: I nearly lost an eyeball with a splintered end of a branch perched on a fence sticking out into the fwy bike path. And the City of Vincent van took the time to miss it while DRIVING down the path to check. Nice work fella's!
:shock:

This be one reason I always wear glasses.
A second is road grit flung up by tyres, both mine and other vehicles
Insects are a third, although less prevalent at this time of year.
Fourth is wind protection as the mornings get cooler - need to be able to see where I'm going without being blinded by my eyes watering in the cold. My runny nose is bad enough! :x

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat May 11, 2013 9:11 am

On my commute home yesterday Iwas riding along a shared path and it crosses and intersection with trees either side and you can't see the traffic coming until it is about 50m away. I cross the first lane to the middle traffic island and see a car coming toward me from my left. So I slow down to stop while unclipping so the car knows that I'm stopping and not just slowing and then moron bike rider about 50m behind me catches up and blasts straight across the road in front of this car. I point at the moron rider and shake my head in sympathy at the car driver. He then stops and waves me and by now several other rider acros the road in front of him. While that is a kind gesture there is no need for it and I wish they wouldn't do it and IMO only encourages cyclists to blast across this intersection in front of cars expecting them to give way.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat May 11, 2013 9:19 am

Ross wrote:On my commute home yesterday Iwas riding along a shared path and it crosses and intersection with trees either side and you can't see the traffic coming until it is about 50m away. I cross the first lane to the middle traffic island and see a car coming toward me from my left. So I slow down to stop while unclipping so the car knows that I'm stopping and not just slowing and then moron bike rider about 50m behind me catches up and blasts straight across the road in front of this car. I point at the moron rider and shake my head in sympathy at the car driver. He then stops and waves me and by now several other rider acros the road in front of him. While that is a kind gesture there is no need for it and I wish they wouldn't do it and IMO only encourages cyclists to blast across this intersection in front of cars expecting them to give way.
They need to put back the barriers that force cyclists to slow to 5kph or dismount. I nearly T-boned a cyclist on a pedestrian crossing a few weeks back when I was riding on a road, she just assumed I was going to give way to a bicycle and I assumed she knew she didn't have right-of-way.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat May 11, 2013 10:50 am

Ross wrote:On my commute home yesterday Iwas riding along a shared path and it crosses and intersection with trees either side and you can't see the traffic coming until it is about 50m away. I cross the first lane to the middle traffic island and see a car coming toward me from my left. So I slow down to stop while unclipping so the car knows that I'm stopping and not just slowing and then moron bike rider about 50m behind me catches up and blasts straight across the road in front of this car. I point at the moron rider and shake my head in sympathy at the car driver. He then stops and waves me and by now several other rider acros the road in front of him. While that is a kind gesture there is no need for it and I wish they wouldn't do it and IMO only encourages cyclists to blast across this intersection in front of cars expecting them to give way.
Nice one :)

I had something slightly similar yesterday. I'm stopped at red lights at a busy city intersection, and a cyclist drifts past and starts to cross against the red. There's about 50 pedestrians waiting on either side of the road watching this. I say in a fairly loud (not yelling) voice "It's still red dude" and he stops (first time ever shame has worked for me). Get some grins from the pedestrians waiting :mrgreen:

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat May 11, 2013 6:14 pm

I dont even know what to make of this one. If its on the right thread even?
Pootling along around a bend on Kornang Creek path in melb waiting a chance to pass the two riders in front. Oncoming jogger in the RH lane. Jogging around the uphill bend towards us. In the oncoming lane. Jogging BACKWARDS. Not the slowest jogger of the day either

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sat May 11, 2013 7:33 pm

Dumb cyclist today was me, riding down a hill I encountered one of those pretty roundabouts with shrubbery in the middle. Unfortuntely it was an odd-shaped roundabout where the exit was a lot sharper than the entry. Way overcooked it going in and couldn't make the turn, locked the rear wheel, un-locked and then re-locked again after realising that no matter what I was hitting something. Ended up sliding sideways into the gutter and getting turfed off the bike onto the footpath (which was grass luckily). Only got a few scratches and no damage to the bike but jeeze I was being a bit stupid.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Percrime wrote:I dont even know what to make of this one. If its on the right thread even?
Pootling along around a bend on Kornang Creek path in melb waiting a chance to pass the two riders in front. Oncoming jogger in the RH lane. Jogging around the uphill bend towards us. In the oncoming lane. Jogging BACKWARDS. Not the slowest jogger of the day either
One of these blokes on a training run?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat May 11, 2013 9:27 pm

I dunno. His back was towards me. If I see him again I,ll take a pic.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Mon May 13, 2013 11:11 am

Percrime wrote:I dont even know what to make of this one. If its on the right thread even?
I see the same thing occasionally around Sydney Olympic Park. More than one person doing it,too - maybe there's a 'Running Backwards' revolution underway.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon May 13, 2013 12:08 pm

Yep. They are in Brisbane too. Almost clocked one when I pulled out from behind someone and they were running backwards. Talk about confusing.

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon May 13, 2013 12:46 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
One of these blokes on a training run?
I had to do just that during training for the game those guys umpire albeit wasn't on a path, only the footy field.
2010 BMC SLC01

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Mon May 13, 2013 4:46 pm

I think its pretty backward myself. Probably the only thing one should do on a treadmill. But I digress. So I,ll get off... stand on their side of the path... wait till they reach me and scream. This should be fun.

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Thu May 16, 2013 2:37 pm

2012 Oppy A4

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 pm

My pet peeve is pedestrians plugged out on the shared path. You all know the ones, no mater what you do, they carry on oblivious, aware only in their own head space and occupying the entire width of the path. Then there are the mums with strollers who stop to attend to bub with the stroller on one side and then on the other. Or the retirees who on finally hearing your pleas to pass, think it's a conversation opportunity as they stand on either side with not enough room between them. I almost ran into a jogger once time. Saw him coming the other way some distance off so moved left. Ok so he'll move left... Everybody moves left.... He must have seen me so will move left..... he will move left... LOOK UP..... FAIL! He eventually did actually see me, well, saw my front tire between his legs after I crashed the bridge rail to stop that is.

Honestly I don't get it, they have a whole maintained grass reserve, trees and river to explore yet insist upon forcing the bikes off the concrete path.
When I'm walking down there, the last place I want to be is on the path.

Ken

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat May 18, 2013 9:57 pm

Some of the riders in a bunch on the M7 today stupidly overtaking when they could see me going in the other direction at reasonable speed.

Seriously, wait a moment and then do your overtaking when the way is clear. :x

kenwstr wrote:My pet peeve is pedestrians plugged out on the shared path. You all know the ones, no mater what you do, they carry on oblivious, aware only in their own head space and occupying the entire width of the path. Then there are the mums with strollers who stop to attend to bub with the stroller on one side and then on the other. Or the retirees who on finally hearing your pleas to pass, think it's a conversation opportunity as they stand on either side with not enough room between them. I almost ran into a jogger once time. Saw him coming the other way some distance off so moved left. Ok so he'll move left... Everybody moves left.... He must have seen me so will move left..... he will move left... LOOK UP..... FAIL! He eventually did actually see me, well, saw my front tire between his legs after I crashed the bridge rail to stop that is.

Honestly I don't get it, they have a whole maintained grass reserve, trees and river to explore yet insist upon forcing the bikes off the concrete path.
When I'm walking down there, the last place I want to be is on the path.

Ken
I'm surprised you haven't been lectured that you have to give way to pedestrians. :lol:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 18, 2013 11:16 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Dumb cyclist today was me, riding down a hill I encountered one of those pretty roundabouts with shrubbery in the middle. Unfortuntely it was an odd-shaped roundabout where the exit was a lot sharper than the entry. Way overcooked it going in and couldn't make the turn, locked the rear wheel, un-locked and then re-locked again after realising that no matter what I was hitting something. Ended up sliding sideways into the gutter and getting turfed off the bike onto the footpath (which was grass luckily). Only got a few scratches and no damage to the bike but jeeze I was being a bit stupid.
Don't be so hard on yourself. You were just practicing how to park your bike Blues Brothers style. Keep practicicing... you'll get it right soon :)

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun May 19, 2013 5:45 am

trailgumby wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:Dumb cyclist today was me, riding down a hill I encountered one of those pretty roundabouts with shrubbery in the middle. Unfortuntely it was an odd-shaped roundabout where the exit was a lot sharper than the entry. Way overcooked it going in and couldn't make the turn, locked the rear wheel, un-locked and then re-locked again after realising that no matter what I was hitting something. Ended up sliding sideways into the gutter and getting turfed off the bike onto the footpath (which was grass luckily). Only got a few scratches and no damage to the bike but jeeze I was being a bit stupid.
Don't be so hard on yourself. You were just practicing how to park your bike Blues Brothers style. Keep practicicing... you'll get it right soon :)
The best thing was that as soon as everything came to rest a kookaburra started laughing at me...

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun May 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Get out early this morning to beat the traffic and end up riding around for 2.5 hours in the rain until the last 5k it clears up and has now turned into a sunny afternoon. This dumb cyclist should check the weather forecast more often.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun May 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Rider that came to our regular Sunday group ride dressed only in short knicks and summer jersey when the temp was -4 (app temp -7). He did have arm warmers though and lightweight full finger gloves. :shock:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Ross wrote:Rider that came to our regular Sunday group ride dressed only in short knicks and summer jersey when the temp was -4 (app temp -7). He did have arm warmers though and lightweight full finger gloves. :shock:
I think I mentioned last year seeing a guy with short Knicks on a TT bike going like a bar out of hell down Northbourne in -5C. Some people are just soooo insensitive. ;)

Sent from my iThingy...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun May 19, 2013 10:44 pm

twizzle wrote:
Ross wrote:Rider that came to our regular Sunday group ride dressed only in short knicks and summer jersey when the temp was -4 (app temp -7). He did have arm warmers though and lightweight full finger gloves. :shock:
I think I mentioned last year seeing a guy with short Knicks on a TT bike going like a bat out of hell down Northbourne in -5C. Some people are just soooo insensitive. ;)

Sent from my iThingy...
He might have been going like a bat out of hell to generate some heat.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 20, 2013 6:35 am

DavidS wrote:
twizzle wrote: I think I mentioned last year seeing a guy with short Knicks on a TT bike going like a bat out of hell down Northbourne in -5C. Some people are just soooo insensitive. ;)

Sent from my iThingy...
He might have been going like a bat out of hell to generate some heat.

DS
No. You can't beat wind-chill. Well... maybe he though you could, which just makes him even more dumb.

Sent from my iThingy...

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 20, 2013 7:12 am

twizzle wrote:You can't beat wind-chill
+1

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon May 20, 2013 9:02 am

I'm the moron today. :oops: Come up to a 4-way T intersection on a suburban street that I ride through every morning and go to turn right.I look left, all clear and start to look right even though I've never ever seen a car coming from this direction and continue to ride into the intersection and there is a car coming. I manage to jam on the front brake and the bike does a "stoppie" (rear wheel lifts in the air) so I release the brake and of course this starts the forward motion again into the intersection and into the path of the car. Luckily they weren't going fast and manged to pull up and avoid hitting me. I nodded my head in appreciation to the driver being on the ball. On the the off-chance they happen to be reading this forum I apologise profusely for my stupidity. :(