My first road bike

beginner1

My first road bike

Postby beginner1 » Sun May 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Giant Defy 1
Focus Culebro 5.0 27-G
CAAD 6 8 Tiagara

Which geometry is good for short legs? it is for leisure and i am not a serious cyclist

Thanks in advance

geraldobeavis

Re: My first road bike

Postby geraldobeavis » Sun May 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Not sure about the focus, but I know the Defy has 'compact' geometry, which is recommended sometimes for people with short legs. I just bought a Defy and my legs are definitely in the short category.

However that doesn't mean it is necessarily right for you. Go test ride each and see which fits best, as short legs will be just one factor of your overall fit.

Giant Defy 2

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Sun May 19, 2013 11:20 pm

geraldobeavis wrote:Go test ride each and see which fits best, as short legs will be just one factor of your overall fit.
+1

geraldobeavis

Postby geraldobeavis » Mon May 20, 2013 9:26 am

I just read your earlier post re being 167 cm tall and being fitted an XS size defy.

By the giant sizing chart you should be a small. I am the same height, and have short legs (inseam 71 cm) and that i\the size I bought. Particularly if you have short legs, your torso is likely to be lonfor xs. The xs top tube will be too short for someone with your dimensions.

If the store us telling you it fits, it may be due to them trying to flog off floor stock, I know size S defies are nearly out of stock in Aus (my lbs freighted one to Canberra from Perth)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Giant Defy 2

beginner1

Postby beginner1 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:39 pm

geraldobeavis wrote:Not sure about the focus, but I know the Defy has 'compact' geometry, which is recommended sometimes for people with short legs. I just bought a Defy and my legs are definitely in the short category.

However that doesn't mean it is necessarily right for you. Go test ride each and see which fits best, as short legs will be just one factor of your overall fit.
thanks for your reply. i have tested on small and xs on defy. i feel like i have better control on xs maybe because i am a beginner, i have a better control on smaller bike.

now i am tempted by CAAD 8 105...

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Fri May 24, 2013 12:42 pm

beginner1 wrote: thanks for your reply. i have tested on small and xs on defy. i feel like i have better control on xs maybe because i am a beginner, i have a better control on smaller bike.
now i am tempted by CAAD 8 105...
I'm also a short legs & longer torso body type and I ended up going to the smaller of the two sizes (I was in the middle). I later got a proper bike fit done and ended up with a 20mm longer stem. The biggest factor in choosing the smaller frame size was the fact the cranks were the right length for my legs (170mm vs 172.5mm), so keep that in mind.