Big BNA Announcement on Monday E-Bike Buyers Guide

ozzymac

Re: Big BNA Announcement on Monday

Postby ozzymac » Mon May 20, 2013 12:37 pm

WHY only on apple?

There are just as many android devices now a days.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 pm

im_no_pro wrote:Tres cool.... would check it out cept I dont have an iPad.
+1

i - tunes/pad/phone is a dying market should have gone Android :twisted:
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon May 20, 2013 12:41 pm

alf wrote:Title of this thread will be changed to......

How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

Last post before thread get locked will be......

I'll tell you tomorrow.
I'll tell you tomorrow

OK I didn't lock the thread :wink:
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 20, 2013 1:04 pm

Would have liked to have done Android as well though it was unfortunately not feasible.

In the E-Bike section of this forum (yes, we have a section already) I have started a topic with a little more info and to lead into discussion about the e-bike feature - also for the articles published on BNA of which the actual content is the same.

--

Survey results is the next big project.
Cycling is in my BNA

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon May 20, 2013 1:14 pm

It is a shame it's not available in other formats, but the draft I saw on an iPad was spectacular. Christopher has really showcased his design and publishing skills with this one. It's worth recommending to an iPad owning friend and then having a look at to see the quality of the production. It's a real coffee table type of book, in iPad format.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon May 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Boring :roll:

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Good on you thecaptn.

Is it a topic that is simply not of interest? Are you disappointed by the announcement because you expected something else? Are you perhaps an e-bike expert so have not been able to learn anything new?
Cycling is in my BNA

liamb

Postby liamb » Mon May 20, 2013 4:46 pm

good to see a new way to get info on a new option/ alternative for cycling. Not my cup of tea but good to see all the same.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Mon May 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Let me guess all the people working on this were Apple fanboys?
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Mon May 20, 2013 6:12 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Good on you thecaptn.

Is it a topic that is simply not of interest? Are you disappointed by the announcement because you expected something else? Are you perhaps an e-bike expert so have not been able to learn anything new?
I'm sorry that was extreemly rude of me, especially seeing all of the hard work that you've put into it. I think that the announcement may have suffered from too much build up. I do think that Ebikes are boring but what's important is that those who're into them now have this great resource to access, thanks for all of the hard work you did. Sorry for being a knob about it. :oops:

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon May 20, 2013 7:17 pm

E-Bike Guide is going to be the SheldonBrown.com of 2013 and beyond!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon May 20, 2013 7:34 pm

redcorpsjames wrote:Let me guess all the people working on this were Apple fanboys?
Actually, to get a "free" app up on the apple platform costs significantly less than getting a "free" app up on the android platform.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 20, 2013 8:25 pm

thanks thecaptain. All good.

In chosing my words carefully, the average cyclist is usually not the audience for your average ebike. There are certainly exceptions when it comes to special applications such as Downhill MTB for example - the target audience is typically much broader, so on the one hand I assume that a number members won't be directly interested however BNA is a good place for such a resource and it hasn't really been dealt with on this level elsewhere in Australia. Overseas in Germany where I used to live there were 3 big ebike mags with regular editions.

Regarding the platform - it is relatively complex to make an App, even if the end-result doesn't reflect this complexity, creating an android version would have simply been too expensive. As the first App / eBook published there is a learning curve plus it is free (and without ads) so it is about getting result - checking the acceptance and success and from this deciding on the best approach for next time.

We actually have a few ideas for the next round-table that will be of interest, probably not destined for ebike publishing however topical none-the-less.
Cycling is in my BNA

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 22, 2013 4:27 am

I have scanned part 1.

I would have thought that one of the prime things that a prospective buyer should know is the limits on legal use. Not there.

I sure hope that in the remainder this is addressed clearly. I know that it is certainly avoided by retailers (footnote), choosing instead to present their persuasive marketing arguments to confuse the buyer into thinking that they can ride it under power on cycle paths - not true in most jurisdictions. They do this without actually lying as they'd fall foul of the consumer watchdogs for that.

(Footnote - full page adverts and pseudo articles in major news papers as well as simply heading to the local retailer will demonstrate this.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 22, 2013 11:27 am

I have come across an item by the WA Department of Education mentioning that, in WA, pedelecs are now legally able to be ridden on shared paths while engaged. The link to the Department of Transports page is broken.

I'll leave it all here as it may be the same in other states and others may be under similar misapprehensions. (And in which case my initial comments will also be remiss. :oops: )
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed May 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback - one of the considerations in creating this is that it was not possible to have an all-inclusive encylopedia. I believe it serves the new buyer well. The technical topics that are of greater interest for the experienced enthusiast are purposely not there as they are very technical and in serving a general audience with an average e-bike, the retailer will sell a bike that is legal. For example, at great cost, before Aussie laws were aligned with Europe, BionX Australia imported units at extra cost that were limited to comply with local laws. These units can be reset (by BionX Australia) back to 250W however each of the panelist certainly selling e-bikes that can be used lawfully - and with information that caters for, essentially, the non cyclist looking for a transport option.

It should be noted that there are variations in the law between the states which has always been an issue however in the form that the overwhelming majority are using and riding e-bikes, this is not a factor.

So yes - there was potential to expand on some topics though we concentrated on the topics that we felt were most relevant for the audience.
Cycling is in my BNA