Living with a velomobile

Rhubarb

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby Rhubarb » Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Here is the original "getting out of an Evo K" that I was looking for.

http://vimeo.com/51009887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now tell me a mango is hard :-)

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Riggsbie wrote:
Wonder what the story is behind that escape attempt from an Evo K ?
Looked like he got his cleat stuck. I love the german service though :-)
Riggsbie wrote: Hey Rhu, how noisy is your Mango ?

Mine is very noisy on the coarse chip roads I have to ride on 90% of the time, it is almost impossible to ride with the Race Hood without earplugs/earbud headphones.....I find it really fatiguing !
Rougher the road the noisier it is, but I don't seem to notice it actually. So long as the chain is well oiled it all seems to run pretty smooth and quiet, with just the normal whirring of the chain. Over about 25km/hr I only hear wind noise when riding open top which I normally do for commuting. I ride mostly concrete paths or reasonably smooth hotmix roads. We don't have the really course bitumen too much in Brisbane.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue May 07, 2013 10:59 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Here is the original "getting out of an Evo K" that I was looking for.

http://vimeo.com/51009887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now tell me a mango is hard :-)
I got out of johns mango easily after being in it a few times. 1st time was hard, 3rd time was good. But NO WAY would I fit into an Evo K. Too narrow
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 07, 2013 11:12 pm

Rhubarb wrote:So read Peter's blog with some context. This is what he means when he says that access to the cranks etc for maintenance is no issue without footholes:
http://youtu.be/V3r5dNuvmok" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; We all have different perspectives on things hey.
That was pretty funny ... I think I will pass on the Evo K but :)

The others videos are great too .. that is one narrow velomobile for sure.

Andrew
Andrew

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon May 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Aushiker wrote:Thanks Rhubarb for sharing your thoughts ... Whilst I am saving up the Pesos/loosing weight for a velomobile I keep looking at options but must admit sill come back to the Mango. The Milan sparked my interest because of the way the top opens up to provide much easier access.

I must go read up on the Evo.

Andrew
Re Milan v Mango, here's another interesting thread from a german velomobile forum:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... yD5JHnSZVA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take note of the length and angle under the nose. Just like driving cars with spoilers, you never scrape the belly, you scrape under the nose.

The things you find when you're holed up with whooping cough .... :cry:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Re Milan v Mango, here's another interesting thread from a german velomobile forum:
Thanks. Back to a Mango :)

Oh and here is something in return :)

Andrew
Andrew

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri May 17, 2013 12:56 pm

One of the down sides of "Living with a velomobile" is the attention you attract. Even for the most outgoing of us, the attention is not always good.

Here's a laugh for you, courtesy of BurnT: :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Rhubarb wrote:One of the down sides of "Living with a velomobile" is the attention you attract. Even for the most outgoing of us, the attention is not always good.

Love it and more so that it is on the Queensland Police Facebook page :)

Andrew
Andrew

burnt

Postby burnt » Fri May 17, 2013 3:28 pm

Hello, what am I? chopped liver?
This is not the attention I seek at all, in fact I don't seek attention, but that is impossible when you own a velomobile.
Not sure I am all that pleased to be honest, but i'll take one for the velo team to get them in the public eye.
My next ride tomorrow or Sunday should be interesting!

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri May 17, 2013 3:36 pm

burnt wrote:Hello, what am I? chopped liver?
Nah - just another wacky racer apparently :mrgreen:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri May 17, 2013 7:56 pm

Was that breath test legal?

"Fibreglass"???
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Fri May 17, 2013 9:28 pm

Love it, :D

but I think you need to get on FB, answer some of the questions and put some of the "Barrack room" lawyers in their place!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 18, 2013 12:54 am

I like this comment ...
Makes sense the cop pulled this lunatic over. He's using pedal power in a vehicle 100 times more efficient than a car, non polluting, doesn't kill you if hit, quiet and takes up less road space while getting healthy saving national health costs that we all pay for.Am surprised he didn't get tasered.
Paul Van Bellen has a sense of humour at least ...

Andrew
Andrew

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Sat May 18, 2013 7:53 am

Terry,

Did you get done for the helmet?
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon May 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Looks like the cost of importing a Mango may rise. Hidden in the latest budget was fee hike on import fees of goods over $10,000

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Mon May 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Looks like the cost of importing a Mango may rise. Hidden in the latest budget was fee hike on import fees of goods over $10,000
What is it now?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 21, 2013 10:56 am

Rhubarb wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Looks like the cost of importing a Mango may rise. Hidden in the latest budget was fee hike on import fees of goods over $10,000
What is it now?
What was it before?

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 21, 2013 11:41 am

This is not the attention I seek at all, in fact I don't seek attention, but that is impossible when you own a velomobile.
Not sure I am all that pleased to be honest, but i'll take one for the velo team to get them in the public eye.
It seems so ... http://cycle-space.com/?p=14065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue May 21, 2013 11:47 am

It was on newssites yesterday
Any consignments worth more than $10,000 will now see charges rise from $102 to $152 for sea shipments, and $81 to $122 for air travel consignments.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue May 21, 2013 11:57 am

Aushiker wrote:
It seems so ... http://cycle-space.com/?p=14065" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)

Andrew

"The weirder the better, in some ways. At the weird end of weirdness, are velomobiles."

Hmmm... Head to head, compare it to driving to work (time, cost, fun, health, parking, infrastructure, noise, fumes, traffic predictability) and you tell me whats weird.

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue May 21, 2013 1:05 pm

There's no anonymity when you ride a velomobile. :D :D

I think the coppers were just looking for a photo op for their Facebook page. :mrgreen:

I got pulled over a bit early on until the novelty wore off and they knew what it was.

Worst are drivers leaning out the window trying to snap you on their phone camera when they should be concentrating on the road.

John

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Rhubarb wrote:One of the down sides of "Living with a velomobile" is the attention you attract. Even for the most outgoing of us, the attention is not always good.

I love the fact that the Police check the vehicle passed "road safety requirements", but are ignorant of their own traffic manual, otherwise they would have finished with "Anywhere, Anytime, and Any motor vehicle, tram or train And not a bicycle"
Qld Police Traffic Manual wrote:7.5.1 Authority to breath test
No authority exists to require a specimen of breath for a breath test when investigating an offence against s. 79(7) of the TORUM Act, i.e. being in charge of a horse or bicycle etc. whilst under the influence of liquor or drugs. An officer may however require a specimen of breath for analysis or blood for a laboratory test once a subject person has been arrested for such offence.
Of course the definition of bicycle in the Transport Operations (Road Use and Traffic Management) Act 1995 (Qld) includes a velomobile which mandates compliance with rule 256 of the road rules, even if it makes no sense in the circumstances.

The take home message is while Police ignorance can be a bad thing, sometimes it helps.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Tue May 21, 2013 3:14 pm

No contradiction - velomobiles are legally classified as bicycles and subject to the same rules, including helmets.

A closer inspection of the helmet law though provides an exemption for those with a medical exemption.

BurnT was compliant with that law :wink:

The police checked him out for everything apparently but actually forgot to ask about the helmet. Burnt volunteered his letter of medical exemption without being asked. He thinks they were more interested in checking it all out (and perhaps a facebook photo opportunity), as opposed to any bona fide roadworthiness.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Thanks for the clarification - medical exemptions are fairly rare & I had skipped over the possibility that BurnT had one.

But the Police still can't random breath test him, or anyone else, on a velomobile.

burnt

Postby burnt » Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 am

Rhubarb speaks the truth!

Meanwhile Evolution-