Beyond first-world diets.

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
twizzle

Re: Beyond first-world diets.

Postby twizzle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:22 pm

That was me being polite.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:09 pm

winstonw wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:All these posts about kangaroo made my dinner decision much easier :)

Tasted better to me than any lentil or lettuce leaf ever will.

Sorry to get sidetracked. :P
You're not the only moderator to make irrelevant and uninformed posts in diet threads.
Get back to us when you have a faint hint of an idea about an inkling as to why...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 am

twizzle wrote:
Anyway... "Toxic Oil" is scaring the crap out of me
Is that the one written by David Gillespie, the lawyer with no training, knowledge or expertise in physiology, biochemistry or nutrition? The one who has worked out how to make money by writing scary stuff that some people are pre-disposed to believe?
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:15 am

foo on patrol wrote: Why is it that people with lactose intolerance can drink pure as in straight from the cow and not have a reaction?
Citations required. Anecdotes are not evidence.
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:05 am

ausrandoman wrote:
twizzle wrote:
Anyway... "Toxic Oil" is scaring the crap out of me
Is that the one written by David Gillespie, the lawyer with no training, knowledge or expertise in physiology, biochemistry or nutrition? The one who has worked out how to make money by writing scary stuff that some people are pre-disposed to believe?
Yes.... then go and read some of the studies referenced and associated studies, and while it is alarmist, it's certainly thought provoking.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri May 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Fat blind: Have we forgotten what a healthy weight looks like?
Nine out of 10 people struggled to identify an obese body and seven out of 10 of obese people didn’t know they were obese
http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/healt ... en-1893991

Interesting.
<removed by request>

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 17, 2013 5:38 pm

I would counter that with 9 out of 10 competitive cyclists know exactly what slightly over weight looks like, let alone obese :mrgreen:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri May 17, 2013 5:54 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I would counter that with 9 out of 10 competitive cyclists know exactly what slightly over weight looks like, let alone obese :mrgreen:
There are probably a lot of other sports where the participants are equally self aware, well, maybe not cricket or golf... :lol:
<removed by request>

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri May 17, 2013 6:08 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:I would counter that with 9 out of 10 competitive cyclists know exactly what slightly over weight looks like, let alone obese :mrgreen:
There are probably a lot of other sports where the participants are equally self aware, well, maybe not cricket or golf... :lol:
Actually all the golfers became aware.... so they took up cycling :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue May 21, 2013 10:19 pm

Each year I go to Thailand, I bring my roadie and train with the locals. The guys on the bling bikes are typically working western style jobs and speak good english. They are almost always the fattest in the bunch despite riding the lightest bikes. Nutrition always comes up as they see my organic athlete kit. They weirdly always ask me if I eat a high protein diet to stay as ripped as I am. I point at the as lean rider on the 500$ roadie and say 'what will he eat tonight? what will he eat for breakfast? what about lunch? what will he snack on? proteins, fats OR carbohydrate rich foods like rice, sugar and fruits?. The rich guy on the bike will always say 'you know what, you are right! he will eat these poor peoples food because he no afford steak dinner and yoghurt like me!'

They are always amazed at how strong I ride as a plant muncher. They say 'we only see vegetarian monk and muay thai fighter but not vegetarian cyclist!'. Its quite funny. Those Thai cyclists are mega friendly and accommodating. If they say meet at 3pm for a ride, it means they will start riding by 3:45 lol!
Vegan since 2001.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue May 21, 2013 11:48 pm

durianrider wrote:They are always amazed at how strong I ride as a plant muncher. They say 'we only see vegetarian monk and muay thai fighter but not vegetarian cyclist!'. Its quite funny. Those Thai cyclists are mega friendly and accommodating. If they say meet at 3pm for a ride, it means they will start riding by 3:45 lol!
OTOH, the vego cyclists I met in India years ago, generally died before 50. Why? cos they made a living carting people around as rikshaw wallahs

heart disease or failure takes em out prematurely.
at the end of the day, your heart has only got so many beats in it....and none of us are getting out of here alive.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed May 22, 2013 2:24 pm

durianrider wrote:They weirdly always ask me if I eat a high protein diet to stay as ripped as I am. I point at the as lean rider on the 500$ roadie and say 'what will he eat tonight? what will he eat for breakfast? what about lunch? what will he snack on? proteins, fats OR carbohydrate rich foods like rice, sugar and fruits?.
Oh yeah! I like to snack on sugar too but I find it a bit gritty in my teeth. Do you have any tips on how to make the sugar feel less gritty in my mouth?
<removed by request>