The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

twizzle

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby twizzle » Mon May 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Which is why most accidents happen close to home. You run on auto-pilot and your brain makes assumptions about what it expects to happen.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon May 20, 2013 5:46 pm

For better sound, including what the p1ssed-off pedestrian said, turn up your volume, because I was using the fully-waterproof camera cover. If you understand what the pedestrian said, please let me know. My hearing is sub-standard, so I just can't work out what she said.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon May 20, 2013 5:55 pm

Couldn't quite hear what she said but I suspect it was expressing anger that you passed so close (which you did).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Think it was "You Rude Pri**" (swear word slang for male sexual organ) directed at the bloke in front of you.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon May 20, 2013 6:48 pm

biker jk wrote:Couldn't quite hear what she said but I suspect it was expressing anger that you passed so close (which you did).
Sorry, but you're wrong, I moved over to the right hand side of the path to overtake her, because unlike the cyclist in front of me, I believe in sharing the path and giving pedestrians plenty of clearance. If you pause the video at the 10 second point, you'll see how far to the right I was.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 20, 2013 6:50 pm

warthog1 wrote:Think it was "You Rude Pri**" (swear word slang for male sexual organ) directed at the bloke in front of you.
Sounds about right. OPs pass was closer than I'd like on wheels or foot but the bloke in front was way beyond decent.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 pm

g-boaf wrote:Some of the riders in a bunch on the M7 today stupidly overtaking when they could see me going in the other direction at reasonable speed.

Seriously, wait a moment and then do your overtaking when the way is clear. :x

kenwstr wrote:My pet peeve is pedestrians plugged out on the shared path. You all know the ones, no mater what you do, they carry on oblivious, aware only in their own head space and occupying the entire width of the path. Then there are the mums with strollers who stop to attend to bub with the stroller on one side and then on the other. Or the retirees who on finally hearing your pleas to pass, think it's a conversation opportunity as they stand on either side with not enough room between them. I almost ran into a jogger once time. Saw him coming the other way some distance off so moved left. Ok so he'll move left... Everybody moves left.... He must have seen me so will move left..... he will move left... LOOK UP..... FAIL! He eventually did actually see me, well, saw my front tire between his legs after I crashed the bridge rail to stop that is.

Honestly I don't get it, they have a whole maintained grass reserve, trees and river to explore yet insist upon forcing the bikes off the concrete path.
When I'm walking down there, the last place I want to be is on the path.

Ken
I'm surprised you haven't been lectured that you have to give way to pedestrians. :lol:
I do give way to pedestrians. It's just that I happen to think a little cooperation when using a shared public resource is a nice thing too. You know, little things like being aware of other people around you. The Jogger incident happened because I was giving way by keeping left to give an oncoming pedestrian plenty of room. If I had been a pedestrian too, the same result would still have occurred because he had been admiring his own shoes for more than 50m.

When using a path in a park, pedestrians have the ability to go anywhere both on and off the path, bicycles can't leave the path. Therefore, I think the polite and considerate thing to do is to allow the bike to pass rather than force them to get multiple cat eye punctures and then walk the bike home. At least that was always my policy when walking there long before I started riding there. There is plenty of room for cyclists & pedestrians to pass each other as long as they stay to one side. So what's the big problem that a 2 ft wide person has to occupy the whole path? It's like being a guest at a party and eating the whole cake. Who does that?

Ken
Last edited by kenwstr on Mon May 20, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VRE

Postby VRE » Mon May 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Any further right and I would have risked leaving the path :roll: . As I mentioned, pause the video at 10 or 11 seconds, and check where I was.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Mon May 20, 2013 7:24 pm

VRE wrote:Any further right and I would have risked leaving the path :roll: . As I mentioned, pause the video at 10 or 11 seconds, and check where I was.

For what it's worth, I think the rider ahead passed much closer than you. It's hard to be sure of your line because the camera is obviously not centred with the bikes direction of travel. Honestly, the 2 bikes passed in so quick succession I think that given a little time for her to recover and respond, she was probably reacting to the 1st cyclist or perhaps you were implicated as a buddy of the leading cyclist. The very wide angle lens and off centre shot do make it hard to determine your line on the path.

Regards,
Ken

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon May 20, 2013 8:04 pm

This is where a bell may have avoided her reaction
Think she got shocked by the 1st pass and then you few seconds behind even tho the pass was decent gave her another shock
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Mon May 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Yep, I just call out passing on left, right etc. and then buzz on by at 30 clicks :twisted:

Just kidding, it's 40 really. :shock:

Ken

dmwill

Postby dmwill » Mon May 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Driving home this evening around 6....get onto Reid Highway from Alexander Drive....got upto 90kph about to merge...glance in my mirror, look ahead and see I'm about to merge with a cyclist with no lights on.

Hit brakes to avoid said cyclist and nearly side swipe the car I was meant to merge ahead of.

Why said cyclist did not use the intended crossing before the merge point was completely beyond me.

Alien27

Postby Alien27 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 pm

VRE wrote:

For better sound, including what the p1ssed-off pedestrian said, turn up your volume, because I was using the fully-waterproof camera cover. If you understand what the pedestrian said, please let me know. My hearing is sub-standard, so I just can't work out what she said.
Pedestrian was spot on in her description of the guy in front of you. He should cop a massive fine. He had to have come with in a few mm of her. I think you had a good passing distance but still I wouldn't pass a pedestrian at that speed (perhaps it just seemed faster in the video). I'm at jogging/running speed unless I can see they have acknowledged my bell or call. And even then i slow right down, you two didn't seem to adjust your speed at all. A driver that does that to us on the road would at the very least be not driving to the conditions.

Just my 2c
:(
Tom

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 21, 2013 12:33 am

Bag straps get sucked in and caught on the spokes in 3...2...1...

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue May 21, 2013 8:30 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Bag straps get sucked in and caught on the spokes in 3...2...1...
Is that supposed to be a video? All I'm seeing is a still image.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue May 21, 2013 10:39 am

First commute in a couple of weeks. Half way to work and I realise that I've left my toolkit, puncture kit and spare tube at home.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 21, 2013 11:16 am

__PG__ wrote:First commute in a couple of weeks. Half way to work and I realise that I've left my toolkit, puncture kit and spare tube at home.
That can't make you a dumb cyclist, cause I did exactly the same thing today after 1.5 weeks off :oops:

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue May 21, 2013 12:50 pm

__PG__ wrote:First commute in a couple of weeks. Half way to work and I realise that I've left my toolkit, puncture kit and spare tube at home.
If you made it to work without issue you are not dumb, you are well prepared, or at least your steed is. Murphy must have been out to brunch, hope he is out for dinner for oyour way home.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 pm

herzog wrote:Is that supposed to be a video? All I'm seeing is a still image.
Still from a video. He was leaning backwards like that with no hands on the handlebars and I could hear the straps hitting the spokes again and again. I was just waiting for them to catch and fling him off the bike.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Tue May 21, 2013 2:23 pm

1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue May 21, 2013 2:43 pm

While there is no doubt that Ms Way has done some dumb things & "You have to be a special kind of dumb to post that kind of comment to Twitter" sums it up, she is most definitely not a cyclist nor a pedestrian at the time & so can be found in Moron Motorists #3.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue May 21, 2013 8:37 pm

Saw a cyclist at the top of Mt Cootha halfway around the back in the dark tonight. With no front lights of any sort. I'm hoping he did have one and it died or something... But as a caver would say, "one is none and two is one".

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed May 22, 2013 2:58 am

I think this is my first time for this thread... first time at least with a commuter camera for better entertainment.

Winner for last Friday's May 17th Cyclist Douche of the Day has been decided.
Friday arvo overcast sunset had this neanderthal on a cargo bike at terminal speed too fast to take the bend and end up head on in my lane with 1 second distance gap. It happened so quick I didn't even get time to crap my pants, I had to work on it as replaying the mentally on the long hill climb.

Key frames of video with first two frames in the tunnel immediately prior with another rider doing typical cut the blind right angle turn into underpass, half of the riders that do cut the corner are not ringing bells/calling/have any ahead lighting visible to oncoming victims.

Big Dummy on a Big Dummy follows on with inspiration from the May 7th Cyclist Douche of the Day at the top of this same hill, in front of Parliament House he himself must have been inspired by such greats as Troy 'Boofhead' Buswell lighting the way for the advance of human consciousnesses and the future of civilisations.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed May 22, 2013 9:18 am

He seemed to be rolling!
Motorised of some sort perhaps?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed May 22, 2013 9:39 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBFFrsvgu1Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;