How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

DavidS

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby DavidS » Wed May 22, 2013 12:12 am

jasonc wrote:
DavidS wrote:JasonC, you own fingered gloves and long pants in Brisbane?
garmin said 8 degrees this morning. it gets down to zero at my place in the middle of winter

couldn't feel my toes by the time I got to work this morning. time to pull out the overshoes.
Wow, 0 degrees, never gets that low here even though I'm a couple of thousand KMs closer to the South Pole.

I never wear overshoes and have been known to be down to shorts and a T shirt by the time I've got to work in 2 degrees. I generate a lot of heat! It's going down to 7 tomorrow morning so might try the full jacket on the way in. I figure it won't last the whole ride though as I'll get hot. Always wear shorts and my legs and feet just don't get cold.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed May 22, 2013 6:47 am

-3C here this morning. Not even winter yet. :(

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed May 22, 2013 8:44 am

Cool, dry and sunny ride back yesterday afternoon, quite pleasant along the MYT, encountered the usual troop of roos near Bundoora.
Cold at 4:15am this morning, 4 degrees and falling. By the time I had descended to creek level, it couldn't have been much more than 2C. Only my toes ached a bit from the cold - encased in winter socks, but wearing the Shimano MTB M087's, which are top-vented. Pleasant ride into the Melbourne CBD, barely any wind.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed May 22, 2013 8:56 am

Weatherman said 90% chance of rain today...but yay for me I got into work dry, wasnt that cold either. I know I will get wet this week, just hopefully not in the mornings. Felt sluggish though, just didnt have it in me, so took my time riding in.

Had some cars take those 30 seconds of wait time this morning instead of cutting me off...was nice of them.

Getting dark/black about half an hour before I get home of an evening now. My light seems to be playing up, think a connection inside may be loose as when I hit a bump or bumps the strength of the light beam can vary to the point there is no light at all. Will pull it apart on the weekend and see if it can be fixed otherwise new light purchase coming up

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed May 22, 2013 10:49 am

On the crisp side this morning, officially wanted my beanie as I was heading off down the street. I'm still getting by in shorts and a long-sleeve windproof running smock but everyone else I saw was rugged up, maybe I'm tougher than I think!

On my drinks break I got passed by a guy who gave me a chirpy "Morning!" ... Sort of managed to gurgle and splutter a reply through a moosh full of water, I assume he knew what I meant :oops:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed May 22, 2013 11:26 am

Another super chilly 4C morning. Didn't feel that great through the ride but, probably because I had to carry my backpack and yesterday extended commute took it out of me.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed May 22, 2013 1:15 pm

Yes today and yesterday's morning commutes have been a bit chilly NOR. Takes me most of the ride in to warm up. All compensated by the excellent cool weather in the afternoon riding home making the ride very pleasurable. Still looking at better gloves, longer socks (small gap between current socks and thermals/compression clothes and some overshoes

Cannot complain- there is little wind around also

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed May 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Suggest OnOne for some good cheap gear (inc. socks ;) I tried a pair of the winter gloves today, de-layering at usual spot 3km into ride... but kept leg warmers on all morning.
I've got a new pair of their overshoes but not needed/tried since having their mudguards, plain cold with my regular shoes on DMR V12 regular pedals hasn't been an issue.

My sharp breathing pain rib cage issue flared up and couldn't sleep overnight, snuggie on the recliner from 3am meant a cold stiff body and a few nights of bad half sleep caught up, legs felt like my first/family car a cold Kingswood 202 on choke that didn't want to rev... I emailed in possible ride delay to manager so thought a visit to Joe's Cake Kitchen bakery would help. Wondered why it was calm and quiet on paths and even in the city, and it was quarter to 9 :lol: The Mitchell looked like a car park when alongside it.

Lovely weather, no incidents, except one road bike rider that seemed to have a stench trail as he passed, I wondered if he was using yesterdays riding kit :shock:

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed May 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Summernight wrote: ...the Cinelli black with rainbow through the perforated holes...
Is my favourite tape of all time. Includes cassette tapes.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed May 22, 2013 3:29 pm

First ride in a long time, Brought a new car Autech 260rs and well been enjoying driving it!

but alais the reality of fuel cost's came to hunt me, so back on the pushie!

jgon286

Postby jgon286 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Been regularly commuting for the past 9 months, but this afternoon's ride home was by far the most challenging.

Got to work no problems, 38k's. hoping the weatherman was wrong when it came to the forecast of rain later in the day. Alas, he was right. Steady, cold rain for the trek back home. Haven't felt the need for a rain jacket yet. I do now! Shoes were soaked 30 secs into the ride, everything else followed suit. Absolutely soaked to the bone and shivering by the time the 75ks clicked over. Strava suggested an average temp of 12 degs. Think not.

Still, followed the rules of HTFU. Loved every minute of it, especially the long hot shower at home afterwards. Love my wife even more for offering to drag three kids out in the rain to meet me somewhere to pick me up! Declined gratefully.

Think it'll be a drive in tomorrow...
Ridley Fenix
'Dale CAADX
Spec Hardrock29er

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Thu May 23, 2013 8:29 am

Cold and wet!

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Thu May 23, 2013 8:40 am

I opted for "warm and dry" and took the work ute home last night.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu May 23, 2013 9:03 am

Quick stop in Eaglemont yesterday afternoon, then headed north via Waiora Rd through Heidelberg West. Close shave at a point where the left side of the road turns into a left only lane, with heavy and fast moving traffic going straight ahead.
It's an unpleasant spot, and I've described the dilemma in the Cycling Safety and Advocacy forum.

3 degrees this morning....winter boots time, so toes didn't suffer as much as yesterday.
Don't know if there was a car chase on along Heidelberg Rd heading north, but a car came flying by on the opposite side, with a police car with flashing lights not too far behind :shock:
Clear, dry and little wind, so a good ride into the Melbourne CBD.

Edit: Syntax
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu May 23, 2013 9:24 am

Had a car skim me on the way home...I was in front and in a merging right into traffic lane...I had maybe five metres or so before I got back into a dedicated shoulder but this tool couldnt wait and he was very close, one of my closest ever actually. Couldnt catch up to him as it was a downhill then uphill section.

Got rained on with about 20 k's to go as well.

Was very tempted to take the car today....since the rain started yesterday afternoon, it hasnt stopped since. It is heavy rain too. This is what challenges do to you, they force you to ride even though every part of your brain is saying "no your an idiot to ride". I am doing the strava "Castelli's Battaglia in Montagna" challenge and it ends Saturday and I was about 113k's from completing it. So I took the teaspoon of "harden the F up" and out I went. I did change the distance of the ride however, shortened it to 45 instead of 50 k's. With this afternoons ride I might be 20 or so k's short of the challenge distance, so I already know that regardless of weather tomorrow and how I am feeling, I will be back out there on the bike.

I still enjoyed the ride though I must say...am I sick or what

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu May 23, 2013 10:26 am

well ride home last night was a bit hows your father, this morning's ride wasn't much better, but i'm up 75 km's in 2 days so that's more than the last 3 weeks :P

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu May 23, 2013 10:45 am

gretaboy wrote:I still enjoyed the ride though I must say...am I sick or what
Utterly bonkers, like most of us :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 23, 2013 11:44 am

TailWind wrote:
i think the three of us are definitely certifiable

Rex

Postby Rex » Thu May 23, 2013 12:23 pm

BOM said 3.5C thismorning, but I left later which meant the sun came out earlier than usual so I quickly realised how 'over-dressed' I was.
Merino thermal base layer, jersey, GORE jacket = sweaty.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu May 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Rex,
So that is why I did the soundless scream down the first hill this morning and rode like a demon trying to warm up. Did have an amusing last 7km's or so with two singlespeeders and a couple of roadies vying for the Commuter Cup. I just sat back and watched the fireworks....

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu May 23, 2013 2:07 pm

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:
i think the three of us are definitely certifiable
Must.Not.Refresh.Endomondo ACF Challenge. Must.Not.Refresh..... :mrgreen:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu May 23, 2013 2:22 pm

TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote: i think the three of us are definitely certifiable
what are you talking about...challenge or not your still going to do the commuting...rain hail or shine....call you cob and co instead of Tailwind

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu May 23, 2013 2:31 pm

gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote:
jasonc wrote: i think the three of us are definitely certifiable
what are you talking about...challenge or not your still going to do the commuting...rain hail or shine....call you cob and co instead of Tailwind
Too true...haha. Oh, and there is no cure :D

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu May 23, 2013 2:31 pm

Didn't see a single other bike rider on my way to nth Sydney today. It's official, I am badass/mental!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 23, 2013 2:34 pm

TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote:what are you talking about...challenge or not your still going to do the commuting...rain hail or shine....call you cob and co instead of Tailwind
Too true...haha. Oh, and there is no cure :D
actually with TW's multi-hopping he could offer a dink and then really call himself Cobb and Co