Longer training rides, how do you carry extra stuff?

thecaptn

Longer training rides, how do you carry extra stuff?

Postby thecaptn » Tue May 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi All,

On some of my longer training rides I sometimes want to take a bit of extra stuff such as arm/leg warmers or rain jacket or food or water. If I'm heading into the hills it can get pretty cold or the weather can change. I struggle to carry much extra stuff as I wear large sizes and eat/drink alot.

I'm wondering if others have this issue and if so what sorts of things can you use to carry any extra stuff?

Thanks,
Pete

TimW

Re: Longer training rides, how do you carry extra stuff?

Postby TimW » Tue May 21, 2013 5:56 pm

I take a camelbak pack without the water bladder in it. Extra tubes,food and wet weather/warmer gear all fit inside. I still stuff my pockets full as well.Tim

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue May 21, 2013 6:15 pm

TimW wrote:I take a camelbak pack without the water bladder in it. Extra tubes,food and wet weather/warmer gear all fit inside. I still stuff my pockets full as well.Tim
Thanks, good tip. I'll check some out.

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Tue May 21, 2013 7:50 pm

I've become so used to my little backpack that I take it with me on nearly all of my rides now.

http://www.deuter.com/en_AU/backpack-de ... 0EXP%20Air" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue May 21, 2013 8:00 pm

http://www.this link is broken.au/evoc-cc-6l-rucksack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I like the look of this but wonder if it's too small to fit me.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 21, 2013 8:38 pm

That's why knicks have those rubber grippers on them, just shove stuff up your legs. On all my rides I have my mini pump against one thigh, and on long rides a spare tube and multitool against the other. Everything else fits in my jersey pockets. That's done me for rides up to 260k.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue May 21, 2013 11:11 pm

ldrcycles wrote:That's why knicks have those rubber grippers on them, just shove stuff up your legs. On all my rides I have my mini pump against one thigh, and on long rides a spare tube and multitool against the other. Everything else fits in my jersey pockets. That's done me for rides up to 260k.
Yeah but you live in Queensland, when was the last time you rode in 2deg and hail?
I get what your saying about knicks though, phones, cash, hankies, credit cards you can stuff heaps up there and it doesn't fall out! :D

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 pm

I like to let the bike carry the load on longer rides so have a couple of carradice seat post mounted bags for the really long ones, otherwise the jersey pockets and an under seat bag work pretty well for me and if it's warm I take the camelbak.

Recently I rode with some people who had some eo gear roll top bags - very neat and quite light

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 am

grantw wrote:I like to let the bike carry the load on longer rides
Similar - I like to let the bike carry the load on any road ride (but I prefer to ride my MTB bare and carry any load on my body if possible).

Saddle bag. Bigger saddle bag. Bento box. Frame "triangle" bag (I have front and rear Deuter triangle bags; I can't use both at the same time, but either is better than neither). Handlebar bag. Tool bottle in the second (or third) cage. Failing that... front and rear racks loaded up with panniers... BOB trailer... cargo bike... ;-)

I don't like wearing a backpack, especially on the road. Might be because I've got a long back and I rarely find a pack that fits comfortably. I've done some miles wearing a hip pack (essentially an oversized bum bag... I have about a 15L one by Aiking), which I find quite comfortable... depending on position (ie a fast low race-ish bike or a slower upright tour-ish bike).

tim

joomz

Postby joomz » Wed May 22, 2013 12:47 pm

I attach a little bag to the head tube: http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/TPB ... ube-tribag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Small, but big enough to fit a pump, CO2, extra tube, phone so my jersey pockets are filled with food. Just did 400km in a day with only one of those, a small saddle bag, and my jersey pockets for carrying stuff.

Abby

Postby Abby » Wed May 22, 2013 1:30 pm

I can normally squeeze everything into jersey pockets & saddle bag. But I have used a 'triathlon' top-tube 'bento-box' before when I had a heap of extra stuff to carry...
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Wed May 22, 2013 8:17 pm

I have a Sea To Summit ultrasil day pack. They are extremely light, pack extremely small 20 L backpack.
I have had mine for several years. It's tougher than it looks and holds an amazing amount.
Not meant for high weight loads, Ultra light for light loads, makes sense.
Great for storing excess layers, energy food and small stuff you pick up at the shops.
Another great Australian product.

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products- ... -day-pack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a dry bag version as well:

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/products- ... -day-pack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Ken

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 22, 2013 11:01 pm

http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmid= ... ucksack%2F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just bought one of these from Wiggle, will see how it goes and maybe review it. I was attracted by the bright colour, I don't know why so many cycle specific backpacks are black :?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 22, 2013 11:28 pm

At risk of looking like a *gasp* triathlete, you could add a rearmount bottle rack, (some models mount to the set rails, others the post), and a "tool bottle" to carry tube, CO2, patch kit, levers & other stuff, in addition to a saddle bag. Bolt the pump to the frame; that's why they're supplied with a little bracket!

When Iused to do lots of long road rides. I had four bottles on the bike, pump on frame bracket, saddlebag with tube, levers & patches, and leave pockets for food & stuff, phone, zippy-bag with some cash, card & ID (stripped down wallet), only essential keys to get back in once home. I always tend to dress lightly, 'cos I don't feel the cold all that much, but if conditions dictated a long-sleeve jersey early in the ride, there's be room to stuff it in a pocket, or bundle it up in such a way that the sleeves could be used to tie it under the rear bottle rack.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu May 23, 2013 8:12 am

Duck! wrote:At risk of looking like a *gasp* triathlete, you could add a rearmount bottle rack,

This would be an ideal solution but it's simply not worth the risk. :wink:

r2160

Postby r2160 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:38 am

I purchased a little backpack at our local markets for about $8.

It is about 25cm by 15cm. holds anything that I have had to carry including extra tubes vest, etc

so small and light I dont even notice it anymore

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 23, 2013 1:23 pm

I've got one of these:
http://www.this link is broken/lezyne-energy-c ... ion-bag-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fits a few gels and a few bars in it

cerb

Postby cerb » Thu May 23, 2013 1:55 pm

I have 2x tubes and 2x CO2 bottles, a multi-tool and a patch kit in a saddle bag.

Zip lock bag with money, phone & ID in middle jersey pocket along with 2 bars and sometimes a tube of electrolyte tablets to add to water bottles.

Right jersey pocket is my most accessible food pocket (right handed..) - 2 bars + 2-3 gels + pack of GU chomps.

Left Jersey pocket 2 bars + space for arm warmers and rolled up Gillet.

Leg or knee warmers get the yes/no call at the start of the ride. If I take knee warmers, there's space to put them in a jersey pocket once some of the food is eaten.

Total food is 6 bars, 2-3 gels + pack of chomps. Should be sufficient for 200km+, more if you stop and buy a snack or meal somewhere.

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu May 23, 2013 2:01 pm

How longer is longer? What's your bail out plan should your bike become unrideable?

I'm doing a 600km brevet this weekend. Lots of rural stuff out of mobile range so I'll have to get myself roadworthy to get to the next bit of civilization, so...

Deuter large saddle bag* which will carry a spare tyre, spare inner cable of each type, a spare tube, suncream, tissue paper (very important!), helmet light and battery during the day, spare ayup battery and some food and powder and any other bits and bobs. Will also try and fit any clothing I do not need at the time in it, if not it is in the jersey pockets.

Have a small tool bottle on the bottom of the downtube with another spare tube, patches, tyre boots, and a couple of small multi tools.

A very small top tube bag with emergency usb battery (in ziplock in case it rains) to charge up garmin.

Jersey pockets will hold double bagged mobile phone, credit cards and money; food (3xbananas and 3x cadel winners bars) and sunnies.

Pump is on bottom of toptube.

In summer, I carry the tools in the saddle bag because I do not need the rain jacket (which is not cycling specific, but a very good gortex jacket).

*These are popular amongst audax riders.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu May 23, 2013 5:38 pm

simonn wrote:How longer is longer? What's your bail out plan should your bike become unrideable?

I'm doing a 600km brevet this weekend. Lots of rural stuff out of mobile range so I'll have to get myself roadworthy to get to the next bit of civilization, so...

Deuter large saddle bag* which will carry a spare tyre, spare inner cable of each type, a spare tube, suncream, tissue paper (very important!), helmet light and battery during the day, spare ayup battery and some food and powder and any other bits and bobs. Will also try and fit any clothing I do not need at the time in it, if not it is in the jersey pockets.

Have a small tool bottle on the bottom of the downtube with another spare tube, patches, tyre boots, and a couple of small multi tools.

A very small top tube bag with emergency usb battery (in ziplock in case it rains) to charge up garmin.

Jersey pockets will hold double bagged mobile phone, credit cards and money; food (3xbananas and 3x cadel winners bars) and sunnies.

Pump is on bottom of toptube.

In summer, I carry the tools in the saddle bag because I do not need the rain jacket (which is not cycling specific, but a very good gortex jacket).

*These are popular amongst audax riders.
Well I'm not doing any 600km jobbies in the near future :shock: but yes Audax rides and training rides of 4-5 hours are what I'm looking at. I don't ever carry anything different repairs/tools wise it's always the same stuff(different when I'm touring) and my bailout plan is to ring someone to come and get me if something catastrophic happens which has only ever happened to me twice, both times shreaded tyre(I only ever run GP4000's these days) still maybe I should put a spare one in on occasions. In winter it's warm/wet weather clothes I can't find space for and in summer it's water. Food is less of a problem as I can just stuff my pockets full and there's normally a stop at a cafe planned for lunch. I was tempted to get a spare bracket to put on the roadie for my Ortlieb bar bag but I didn't really like the idea of being stuck with it and I've used large saddle bags and they're ok but not my favorite. I think a backpack is the go as it negates any requirement for adjusting my usual bike setup.

DavidTomic

Postby DavidTomic » Sat May 25, 2013 11:15 pm

ldrcycles wrote:That's why knicks have those rubber grippers on them, just shove stuff up your legs. On all my rides I have my mini pump against one thigh

How very Polish of you! :wink:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 26, 2013 8:33 pm

:lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

boss

Postby boss » Mon May 27, 2013 9:42 pm

I run a saddle bag, all tools and CO2 in there. Can even fit my keys and some cash in there.

I find in summer a jersey is fine - I can fit 3-4 bananas, a few musli bars and some gels. Plenty of room, and usually pop my mobile and iPod in there too. Fine for 5-6-7-8 hour rides.

This is my first winter, but I have done some very long and very wet rides so far. I have a vest with rear pockets and a chest pocket = double storage... Not that I really need it for food, but it is handy for delayering arm/leg warmers.

As far as jackets I usually carry a packable waterproof. Had a castelli long rain, just took delivery of a Rapha rain jacket.

And personally I'd never run a backpack by choice.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Used my new pack yesterday for the first time and am quite happy with it. it is very small but thats what I was after, it's just big enough for warmers, seal skins, a rain jacket and some lunch. In the past i've had a very expensive dueter 20 which while being well made had very little adjustment in the straps so when maxed out over my big shoulders it sat between my shoulder blades and gave me the squirts. This evok at only 6L could have been the same and although I'm using 90% of the available adjustment I can at least get it to sit confortably. While not being a real fluro in colour it's still bright enough to be seen by other road users, it suits my purposes well and I'm happy with it.
http://www.awin1.com/cread.php?awinmid= ... ucksack%2F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;