Opera Superleonardo any thoughts

Minizian

Opera Superleonardo any thoughts

Postby Minizian » Sat May 11, 2013 12:50 am

I went to my usual LBS to buy myself some minor stuff and bump into Opera Superleonardo frameset on display. Something looked like this

Since i am considering upgrading myself to a better bike and knowing that opera is equal to older Pina frame (I am not sure if the one in the LBS is the current year one or past year models), is this a good frame to build my new bike from? The LBS also suggested me a current year 2013 Pina Paris instead of this one as the price of this two model are quite close to each other.

That being said, i am keen to hear from you guys and please throw me suggestion for a bike with my budget of 5000AUD.

open roader

Re: Opera Superleonardo any thoughts

Postby open roader » Sat May 11, 2013 6:09 pm

I have a seasonal riding companion who trained on one of these. Better still it was a close fit for me and I rode it (60km) on the Ocean Road, Victoria about 3 years ago. It too, was fitted with a pair of Zipp 404 clinchers and some nice slick tyres like the model in the image above.

It was a dry road and still air when I had a ride so perfect riding conditions really. The frame set was "solid", I could feel no flexing or creaking - gave a very planted feeling on the road like a bicycle of considerably more weight and longer wheelbase. The ride felt steady - did not feel the slightest bit flighty or nervous on faster decents, however, it was no weight weenie....... if that's your thing.

The frameset was an all black stealthy looking thing (gorgeous) with some graphite grey painted detailing, all finished very nicely indeed......... I took plenty of time drooling over it......... alas it died on the car roof when my freind was admiring his house paint job and forgot about this bike on the roof rack as he rolled into his garage......

The cranks, bars and stem were all 'Most' branded (Pinnarello's in house brand) unlike the bicycle above -he purchased it at DeGrandi Cycles in Geelong about 4 years ago for a 'very significant' amount of money'....... ie. he refused to say how much he forked out for it.

If the frame set you are looking at is a good fit for you, you like a non twitchy planted ride and you get a decent discount (no idea what it's worth now) then I see no issue with building up a Super Leonardo.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sat May 11, 2013 8:54 pm

Super Leonardo are awesome . Opera is an off shoot of Pinarello and my mate who rides one loves it, almost as much as his doggie.
Other mate rides a Paris which he loves so I'm sure you'll be happy with either.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Minizian

Postby Minizian » Sun May 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Guys, thanks for the reply. By any chance if you know that the local Pina importer still carrying Opera brand? From what the LBS told me, they said they are pushing lots more Pina into Australia then Opera. I not really sure how LBS still have this frame in hand considering i dont see it anymore on other LBS in Australia.

I am not really concern about the frame being light as I am a lightish person to began with (55kg). I more more keen on the frame performance in that respect. I am so itching to transfer components from my current bike (shim 105 and fulcrum racing 1 wheels) to this frame. My common sense and lbs tell me that putting a mid-tier groupset onto an expensive frame (at that time) doesn't make sense.

If i found that the Superleonardo frame in my LBS is the older year model then i may lean onto current year Paris. :idea:

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun May 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Glen Parker in Perth can help mate.

Minizian

Postby Minizian » Sun May 12, 2013 10:56 pm

MarkG wrote:Glen Parker in Perth can help mate.
I am on east coast bro. I also bump onto Glen parker website when i was going researching the web. Thanks for the heads up :D

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Sun May 12, 2013 11:01 pm

They send interstate I believe. Good guys & worth a chat.

Minizian

Postby Minizian » Thu May 16, 2013 12:14 pm

I have made up my mind in regards which one should i go for. I decide to go for Pina Paris in Mechanical ultegra. Told the lbs about and hopefully they get back to me asap :)

Dont really care much about groupset, i more concern about good frame and good wheels :)

open roader

Postby open roader » Thu May 16, 2013 1:55 pm

Minizian wrote: I decide to go for Pina Paris in Mechanical ultegra.
Great! Mechanical Ultegra 6700 performs well - I can speak from experience.

When you get your bike - post pics or it didn't happen........ :D

lappy21

Postby lappy21 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:16 pm

I just picked up a new dogma2 frame from PMC in Melbourne for just under $4k. I think they may have a couple left.

Minizian

Postby Minizian » Tue May 21, 2013 10:38 pm

open roader wrote:
Minizian wrote: I decide to go for Pina Paris in Mechanical ultegra.
Great! Mechanical Ultegra 6700 performs well - I can speak from experience.

When you get your bike - post pics or it didn't happen........ :D
Update - I went to lbs that i usually patronize (I got my first bike there too) and told them i am keen to get a pina paris in mechanical ultergra. All i got from them is an not interested face and "oh okay, we will get back to you in few days tru email after I work things out with the budget around Pina paris" :| :| Till now i did not get any word from them, very disappointing with them considering i am returning customer. Maybe they are doing very well that they willing to lose a customer. I was thinking going back there to ask but thinking about it now i was considering ditching them alltogether and go to another lbs. Sucks to be honest :evil:

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue May 21, 2013 10:48 pm

Poor warranty with Opera Bikes. Only 2 years. Azzurri made better hence the better warranty.

Some bikes are pure marketing. Some a pure quality. The way a company stands behind its product warranty wise is a clear indication of how to determine cr*p from class.
Vegan since 2001.

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed May 22, 2013 2:49 pm

durianrider wrote:Poor warranty with Opera Bikes. Only 2 years. Azzurri made better hence the better warranty.

Some bikes are pure marketing. Some a pure quality. The way a company stands behind its product warranty wise is a clear indication of how to determine cr*p from class.
So based upon this logic my Colnago C50 frameset is double cr*p as it only came with a 12 month warranty as do all the Colnago framesets incl. the top end hand built frames..............?

Most frame warranties cover only defective workmanship and materials.

Quality frame builders figure, and I agree that 12 months is more than plenty of time for faulty materials to fail or for poor workmanship to show up.

redcorpsjames

Postby redcorpsjames » Wed May 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Although I don't think azzuri are better quality than colnago, I do think 12 months warranty on their frames is pretty poor . . .
Merida Scultura 905 2013
cell messenger fixie 2013

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 am

I know this is a bump, but I've just come into one of these.

They are pretty amazing. Very very stiff. Not overly comfy I'll say but very fast.

They aren't super light but they do look to be durable so I'm ok with that. Let's see how we go. :)

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Comedian wrote:I know this is a bump, but I've just come into one of these.

They are pretty amazing. Very very stiff. Not overly comfy I'll say but very fast.

They aren't super light but they do look to be durable so I'm ok with that. Let's see how we go. :)
Keep us posted, they are a rare bird indeed..........