Hit & Run Safety Bay Road 12th Feb

jet-ski

Re: Hit & Run Safety Bay Road 12th Feb

Postby jet-ski » Thu May 23, 2013 11:51 am

higdawg - I have very limited experience with that roundabout , looking at google maps there is indeed a separated cycle path for that section, I guess you have to be experienced to know where to get onto it though? it seems that it appears just after the road that goes into Warnbro station. If you are a regular in the area you would know the best route but if you aren't its quite likely you would assume the path just goes to the station... obviously the shoulder disappears and is replaced by the shared path.... I think it's a design flaw, but it's better than nothing.

the path looks like an excellent option there and it takes away the deterrent a little bit for those of you who are saying 'I wouldnt ride there' now because of this incident.

My issue with Safety Bay Rd was actually the roundabout at Safety Bay Rd and Warnbro Sound Ave... traffic is high speed through that roundabout, usually there is a distinct lack of indicator use and there is no 'path' option. It's OK in a bunch but if there is only one or two riders it's hair raising.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

higdawg

Re: Hit & Run Safety Bay Road 12th Feb

Postby higdawg » Thu May 23, 2013 10:44 pm

yeah I avoid that roundabout at warnbro sound ave at all costs.
if I am riding west I will go back roads, taking currie st from secret harbour to completely avoid warnbro sound ave. It is a terrible road in general.