Best bang for buck upgrade for my bike?

yanjarra

Re: Best bang for buck upgrade for my bike?

Postby yanjarra » Wed May 15, 2013 6:06 pm

barefoot wrote:A wise man once said "If you want to improve your cycling and have a grand to spend, the best upgrade you can buy is a week in Italy".

Granted, it was an Englishman speaking, so Italy was a bit more accessible, but the point remains: improving yourself will almost certainly give better results than improving your kit, and you'll enjoy the "upgrade" process more.

Spend your budget on some time off to go riding. Ride somewhere awesome. New wheels won't be new for long, but a week of hard "training" in a place you'd rather be... that will stay with you.

A better rider on a worse bike will still be faster than you...
tim

I really gotta say I disagree with this common notion on here hey,

I can say right now I have a mate that's a better rider than me but if I put him on heavy alloy bike with stock wheels and me on a lightweight carbon frame with carbon clinchers I leave him in the dust....I have seen it happen first hand. I have been in the sporting landscape long enough to know good equipment does improve performance. might as well have wiggens riding up the swiss alps on a $30 kmart special otherwise... get real guys

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Wed May 15, 2013 8:28 pm

sdnelson19 wrote:go here http://www.twebikewheels.com.au/ and talk to Greg, you won't be disappointed.
I will 2nd this, I love my TWE wheels, transformed my bike
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

LM324

Postby LM324 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:58 pm

yanjarra wrote:
barefoot wrote:A wise man once said "If you want to improve your cycling and have a grand to spend, the best upgrade you can buy is a week in Italy".

Granted, it was an Englishman speaking, so Italy was a bit more accessible, but the point remains: improving yourself will almost certainly give better results than improving your kit, and you'll enjoy the "upgrade" process more.

Spend your budget on some time off to go riding. Ride somewhere awesome. New wheels won't be new for long, but a week of hard "training" in a place you'd rather be... that will stay with you.

tim

I can say right now I have a mate that's a better rider than me but if I put him on heavy alloy bike with stock wheels and me on a lightweight carbon frame with carbon clinchers I leave him in the dust....I have seen it happen first hand. I have been in the sporting landscape long enough to know good equipment does improve performance. might as well have wiggens riding up the swiss alps on a $30 kmart special otherwise... get real guys
Don't know who "wiggens" is :wink: but barefoot is right. Considering the current wheels you have are already good and are tubular, unless you spend a significant amount of money you aren't going to be getting much of an "upgrade".

yanjarra

Postby yanjarra » Wed May 15, 2013 11:40 pm

Philipthelam wrote:
yanjarra wrote:

tim

Don't know who "wiggens" is :wink: but barefoot is right. Considering the current wheels you have are already good and are tubular, unless you spend a significant amount of money you aren't going to be getting much of an "upgrade".
the spelling police is here; he ain't right about that last comment. had he of said "a significantly better rider will still be faster than you on a marginally worse bike" than I would agree. who said I wasn't going to spend a significant amount of money?

TDC

Postby TDC » Thu May 16, 2013 12:24 am

yanjarra wrote:
TDC wrote:
yanjarra wrote:the thing with it all is I pretty much have to get a new set of wheels whether buying a wheelset or as part of an entire new ride as the eurus are tubular and I cant take the constant cost associated with puncturing tubulars all the time...

so saving the money etc is not really an option if I want to continue with the sport of cycling...
You do know you don't have to keep buying new stuff to keep riding?

dude, seriously ...come on- read what I said.....that pretty much applies to the last two posters also..

I have tubulars at the moment, I puncture pretty much every fortnight costing me $60 in tyres....that like $1500 a year....why wouldn't I change to clincher?

YES- I do need to spend money, it would be stupid not too given the costs of currently replacing tyres

I really don't need to be lectured on training hard or self improvement hey....that's not the query here....
Sorry for upsetting you man. I missed the references in your earlier post to the frequency of your punctures, the associated costs and your need to buy new wheels. The original post read like you wanted to buy a new bike because your mate did.

Also I agree with you about the spelling police. Why should you have to be bothered to spell some guys name correctly.

cheers Tony.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue May 21, 2013 11:03 pm

bike fit with Steve Hogg.

Power meter.

Life's short. Do both.
Vegan since 2001.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed May 22, 2013 3:15 am

For most riders the best bang for a buck would be to lose another kg. Far cheaper than getting a new lighter frame. Add that to the probable improvement in rider performance.

But for most of us losing (or holding at) that last KG is far harder to do than spending an extra grand or so on a frame. Moi included. But it's fun trying.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cerb

Postby cerb » Thu May 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Get the new C50 clinchers. Sounds like they'll suit your riding and the Al brake surface will ensure good braking in all conditions and no overheating of the rims when/if you do long descents.

Tune up your SRAM Red and keep riding it - it's already a good/top-of-the-line groupset. It's much more cost effective to buy buy a groupset on a new bike than by itself.

With all the changes in road bike tech in the past few years (electronic shifting, 11sp) and probably couple of years to come (hydraulic rim / hydraulic disc), you'll want to buy a new bike with lots of new whiz-bang gizmos in the coming years anyway. At that stage, you can take your 11sp compatible C50 wheels across to your new bike with you (assuming that hydraulic disc's don't prevail).

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Thu May 23, 2013 7:49 pm

Now yr talking ENVEs it sounds like u have a fair bit of cash to splash....

I've just moved from C50s to ENVE 65s with stock DT 240S, and the difference is vast. The C50s are a great wheel, just not as quick... Great bang for buck, with great hubs....

Personally I'm not sold on the DT240s but they are still very reasonable... My next ENVEs will either have CK or Alchemy hubs....

Now... If money is tight, then stick with your current bike... The orca is a high end machine, and u won't see huge improvements going to a new frame/bike. I understand how poor shifting can detract from the enjoyment of riding. Where u will see huge improvements is if u fix yr shifting... So if your watching dollars, think about upgrading the front derailleur to a newer SRAM Red version (check on various forums for "compatibility" with your shifters)... Change your shift cables, and install a chain catcher. Next step up would be to buy a di2/ui2 shift kit... Easy to install and shifting will be a dream...

Next, treat yourself to the C50s.... U will love them....

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Mon May 27, 2013 8:06 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:Now yr talking ENVEs it sounds like u have a fair bit of cash to splash....

I've just moved from C50s to ENVE 65s with stock DT 240S, and the difference is vast. The C50s are a great wheel, just not as quick... Great bang for buck, with great hubs....

Personally I'm not sold on the DT240s but they are still very reasonable... My next ENVEs will either have CK or Alchemy hubs....

Now... If money is tight, then stick with your current bike... The orca is a high end machine, and u won't see huge improvements going to a new frame/bike. I understand how poor shifting can detract from the enjoyment of riding. Where u will see huge improvements is if u fix yr shifting... So if your watching dollars, think about upgrading the front derailleur to a newer SRAM Red version (check on various forums for "compatibility" with your shifters)... Change your shift cables, and install a chain catcher. Next step up would be to buy a di2/ui2 shift kit... Easy to install and shifting will be a dream...

Next, treat yourself to the C50s.... U will love them....
Ive currently got a wheelset with CK R45's on em. Overpriced hub in cool colours. Classic is a more durable hub that came loose a lot less often.
Vegan since 2001.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon May 27, 2013 11:39 pm

I doubt yr experiences will sway me durian