How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

gretaboy

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Thu May 23, 2013 2:38 pm

queequeg wrote:Didn't see a single other bike rider on my way to nth Sydney today. It's official, I am badass/mental!
Queequeg...ssssh the people in the white coats may come for you if you say things like this too loudly...but to be a true 100% bad ass you must now, if not already done, go and bang the forehead against the locker door until there is a dint in it.

I forgot to mention in my "update"...I rarely see riders going my way but I do see a handful going the opposite way. Well this morning I didnt see any going the opposite way but I did see a woman on a step through bike going my way whilst the rain was pouring down.

Well I looked, gave her a big smile and a thumbs up. Just had her face poking out of the gear she had on.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu May 23, 2013 6:11 pm

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:
gretaboy wrote:what are you talking about...challenge or not your still going to do the commuting...rain hail or shine....call you cob and co instead of Tailwind
Too true...haha. Oh, and there is no cure :D
actually with TW's multi-hopping he could offer a dink and then really call himself Cobb and Co
Well, I do have a cargo bike... 8)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Thu May 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Well it's nice and dry in Adelaide. Actually they've been forecasting rain all week, and it has rained a bit, but I've managed two commutes without getting wet and intend to ride tomorrow. That will be the first time I've managed three times in one week - all year I've had the aim of twice a week, with the thought that I'd do three if I could and there is always something - rain/ event at work that I need to be reliably early and dressed up for/ a child that needs dropping to school because of large fragile project to carry/ need to pick up a child from after school activity/ flat tyre/ after work event/ etc. So yay for three times this week.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri May 24, 2013 8:01 am

Lovely clear and cool afternoon for the ride back yesterday, made good time for the MYT/Darebin Creek Trail route.
Cold again this morning, some fog and mist around. Must adjust my panniers over the weekend, one of them was rattling on the rack for the duration of the ride, driving me to distraction.
Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri May 24, 2013 8:03 am

On the bus today as I have an after work dinner today. I just looked at my bus ticket and I first used it in June 2012!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Fri May 24, 2013 8:53 am

Last night was ridiculous, very rarely have I seen rain so heavy with a little bit of hail thrown in.

Then this morning my bike had a flat. I have to say I haven't got the hang of changing the tube on my Alfine equipped bike and after struggling for ages the gears had gone out of index. So bus it was for me this AM.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri May 24, 2013 8:59 am

long way to work again even though the group ride was cancelled. got stuck in a group along the corso. we were sitting on ~38km/h at the start (I somehow ended up second wheel). 1 guy at the front yells "all on?" yell from the back "yep". I held on for dear life (was on my flat bar with a backpack). got a few well dones at the end - we peaked at 46km/h. speed sat around 43-44km/h. not far off my pb. would have got it if we didn't have to slow down for that car the end....

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri May 24, 2013 9:01 am

After 90 minutes I am still on the bus. This is torture. I would have been at work 30 minutes ago if I had taken the bicycle!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 24, 2013 10:03 am

queequeg wrote:After 90 minutes I am still on the bus. This is torture. I would have been at work 30 minutes ago if I had taken the bicycle!
As I was riding along to drop the little boy at day care & then off to work, I almost felt sorry for all those poor people locked in a metal cage & going nowhere. Almost :mrgreen:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri May 24, 2013 10:30 am

Well, I'm back after two days of being practically bedridden from a nasty, nasty cold and Ye Gods it felt good to be back on the bike and to do my morning run (prior to the bike commute), although I was minutes slower than usual.

I haven't put the Cinelli black/rainbow tape on yet although I am looking forward to it. I do have pictures of my old brake pads but I know that if I posted them here I'd hear "Crikey, you should have replaced them 10,000kms ago" (not that I've even done 10,000kms total in my commuting/cycling career :P ).

The nasty Virus From Hell hit after I went for a walk at lunchtime on Tuesday and it went downhill from there. The ride home Tuesday was a bit of a struggle and then I just wasn't well enough to get out of bed for the next two mornings.

I had organised a birthday party event/performance for my partner on Wednesday night so dragged my sorry self out of bed for that. Glad I went, although would have been nice if I wasn't feeling dreadful the whole time. If anyone has the chance to go see 'Faulty Towers the Dining Experience' I would recommend it as it was exceedingly funny and enjoyable. They tour Australia-wide.

And I'd also seen a rainbow floor rug in a store window on the Tuesday night (why, oh why did I go out to have dinner then???) so dragged myself into the store on my sick day on Wednesday and put down a deposit so at least that made me happier during my last dying days. :P

Thursday I woke up feeling just as bad and starting to cough my guts out but luckily by the afternoon I knew I was getting better. Hooray!

So this morning I was as rugged up as I get for the ride in - full-sleeved windproof jacket, full length tights etc. etc.

Had a lovely altercation with a black Mercedes who had MGIF syndrome and close shaved me. I saw him coming in the rear-view mirror and moved further out to stop the close shave but got a honk and the close shave for my troubles. Then not 20 metres up the road the Mercedes turns left. What was the point??? Why can't you wait 5 seconds??? :|

But I'm still glad I didn't take PT. No way was I going to get stuck in there and get another virus. This one has already lasted two weeks!

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Fri May 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Well after hardening up, a little anyways, yesterday I turned to goo today

Seems life on the road is catching up with the bike and it needs some loving. As I left our building driveway the little drop to the road, bee's dick height, caused my good rear light to pop out for some reason. Look back and there it is scattered across the road, turn around and put it back together and it doesnt work...say a few choice words and put it in the pocket for later inspection.

Mind you it is raining at this point, not heavy but there.

So off I go on my ride home and the bike is performing like a mule. I have just recently had some noises coming from the bottom bracket area so I pulled it apart and regreased it all, still getting noises. My speeds seem to be down 2-3 k on average but I have been hoping it is the rider and not the bike. Well as the ride progresses the noises coming from the bike are getting worse. Not sure if it is the BB or the rear tyre rubbing on the mudguard....regardless I am pissed.

20 k from home and the skies really open up. The only upside to this is that the shoulders at this point of the ride are wideish and I am not that far from home but I am wet. It is getting really dark too. This is where my next issue comes into play. The front light is wanting to play games with me. I have it on high and when I hit a bump, and there are many to hit, the light goes from anything like highest strength to very low to non existent. So here I am it is raining, black and my front light goes black on me...what joy. I am at parts relying on car and truck lights to show me the road. Makes me even more pissed. Noise from the bike is really getting to me as well.

I finally get home and just want to throw the bike but know it isnt the bikes fault...as I said it just needs some loving. Booked it in for the long overdue loving and will now set the old bike up for commuting next week.

Was planning to ride the bike today, but rain was really heavy this morning and given the issues the night before I thought for my own sanity it best that I give the bike a rest day.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri May 24, 2013 2:19 pm

find_bruce wrote:
queequeg wrote:After 90 minutes I am still on the bus. This is torture. I would have been at work 30 minutes ago if I had taken the bicycle!
As I was riding along to drop the little boy at day care & then off to work, I almost felt sorry for all those poor people locked in a metal cage & going nowhere. Almost :mrgreen:
The cycling gods are punishing me for not riding. I can only laugh as I told my wife last night that this would happen!

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri May 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Today's commute - the slow soggy slog. Still, it was the first time on the bike since Sunday.

On the positive side, my new BikePure winter gloves are really excellent. They were cheap too...

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri May 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Summernight wrote:Well, I'm back after two days of being practically bedridden from a nasty, nasty cold and Ye Gods it felt good to be back on the bike and to do my morning run (prior to the bike commute), although I was minutes slower than usual.
Wish I was only out of action for two days. Been off the bike this week and the chest is showing little sign of clearing up. If it 'aint gone by the end of the weekend I'll be employing HTFU tactics, and attempting to clear the mucus in the time honored hack yer guts up whilst cycling method.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri May 24, 2013 3:36 pm

rangersac wrote:
Summernight wrote:Well, I'm back after two days of being practically bedridden from a nasty, nasty cold and Ye Gods it felt good to be back on the bike and to do my morning run (prior to the bike commute), although I was minutes slower than usual.
Wish I was only out of action for two days. Been off the bike this week and the chest is showing little sign of clearing up. If it 'aint gone by the end of the weekend I'll be employing HTFU tactics, and attempting to clear the mucus in the time honored hack yer guts up whilst cycling method.
And maybe a little medical overview? My thinking is if I have a cold that puts me out of action longer than a few days it is time to see a doctor about it. Especially if it has reached the chest area and is affecting breathing (ie. could have turned into pneumonia).

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri May 24, 2013 4:02 pm

Summernight wrote: And maybe a little medical overview? My thinking is if I have a cold that puts me out of action longer than a few days it is time to see a doctor about it. Especially if it has reached the chest area and is affecting breathing (ie. could have turned into pneumonia).
Been there, done that already and have the antibiotics to prove it. No major improvement in the couple of days I've been on them though. I confess that it's partially self inflicted. I was in Perth for work last week when I was coming down with it, but couldn't resist doing a fair bit of on bike sight seeing as it was my first time over there, and I had an old mate who's a keen rider. Couple that with some late evening libations, a dose of good barracking at the footy and the red eye home on Saturday night, and it's little wonder the immune system is not performing optimally!
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Fri May 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Three commutes this week! Which is good because I start my new job next Tuesday so will be driving for the first week until I get a feel for the place. It rained, lightly, for the first 10 mins of my ride home, and I was ridiculously pleased to get to try out my new waterproof jacket in the rain :oops:

cyclebee

Postby cyclebee » Fri May 24, 2013 9:20 pm

All changed for my commute to work this morning and it began to rain down heavily (Sydney). Got on the bus and the sun came out. Grrr!

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri May 24, 2013 10:55 pm

Perth:

The eather of late has been peeerrrfect. Cold enough in the morning that it is ok to wear a spray jacket, but fine after a short while to strip[ down to singlet. Hardly any rain falling on me. NO wind, still glassy river.

This morning I seemed to come across everyone - Dan (skater OnlineInline) on the way into work and again on the way home. Crossed paths with past work colleague, had a couple of tourists (I guess) taking happy snaps as I went by. Had a bit of a chat with A BNA forum member (Richard from memory, apologies if I got it wrong).

More tourist happy snaps on the way home.

tgif and looking forward to a long ride to and around Perth CBD and beyond, probably tomorrow.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun May 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Perth:

Yesterday on a whim I changed direction from Perth and headed south, finishing at a mates place in Rockingham. I didn't reset the trip meter so I just did a google maps reconstruction - 34.km to his place. It seemd longer but I suspect that a perception thing born of boredom. It really is quite tedious I found once I was south of Cockburn - all the smae and not many riders/walker/jogglers to even say gidday to. Gave me cause to focus on my sore and chafed bum more than I otherw ould have too. Respect to those who do it regularly - you must have a better capacity to switch your consciousness off.

I don't think I'll be doing it again in a hurry.

Tri Events decided at the last minute that I could not start - I had checked with them a fortnight earlier and the unicycle was not a problem. I think the fault was the initial consultation. Anyway they got my registration and I got (another) shirt that I didn't want and will probably never wear.

Anyway, I headed in and checked out the starting sections and the latter sections to be sure in my own mind that it was not too crushed - Not a problem after, say, 500m walking near the back of a group so I havea year to explore the possibility and convince them safety is not an issue.

There is a starting assumption by underwriters, secutity people, safety people, bureaucrats and pretty much everyone who has never ridden that they are more dangerous than, say, a bike. Any unicyclist with a hundred kms under their belt in mixed traffic knows otherwise. It's just a matter of going with the prevailing speed and assuming that every ped is intent on self-annihilation. (Much the same as for everyone else on this forum.)

But as for the riding - great weather as usual. Perth riders are truly blessed.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Sun May 26, 2013 5:35 pm

I rode 90km this week - I always count Monday to Sunday, and that's the furthest I've done so far in a week. I know it's not far for lots of people on here, but I'm pretty pleased with my self :oops:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 27, 2013 7:33 am

TigerFilly wrote:I rode 90km this week - I always count Monday to Sunday, and that's the furthest I've done so far in a week. I know it's not far for lots of people on here, but I'm pretty pleased with my self :oops:
well done

finally changed the rear tyre on the flat bar yesterday - 8260-odd kms. punctures: zero
schwalbe marathon plus. my hands hurt from the two efforts it took to fit the damn thing yesterday.
nice commute in. took the opportunity yesterday to clean the chain (as I do weekly), pulled apart and cleaned the cassette and took the crank off and gave it a good clean too. noice.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon May 27, 2013 7:42 am

Beautiful dry session morning, started temp 18 finished off at 22 when i got to work, just beautiful :) going to enjoy the next few months!

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Mon May 27, 2013 8:19 am

This morning started off dry but started drizzling. The rain got heavier and by the time I got to work I was soaked and freezing. Nothing a hot shower and coffee couldn't cure!
Last edited by Sparx on Mon May 27, 2013 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon May 27, 2013 8:30 am

Directly home Friday afternoon, regular catch-up at my brother's postponed to Saturday. Rode down just before noon, got close-shaved on Plenty Rd by a lady doing around 80km/h changing lanes across a solid white line just before the intersection I was going to turn left at. I was pretty much in the middle of the lane to discourage such actions, but I assume she felt she needed to make a point ...
OK ride in this morning, minor irritation brought about by a driver in Collingwood stopping at a stop street to my right, seeing me, but taking off across my bows anyway. I was left-turning there (no stop or yield signs for my direction), so ended up behind him, whereupon he started to slow and finally hit the brakes in the middle of the road without any indication of what he was up to. Weird. Couple of drops, but missed the forecast showers.