Repco Appreciation Society

rkelsen

Re: Repco Appreciation Society

Postby rkelsen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:36 am

Dan wrote:Munga 1 - LugNut 0
Agree. When it comes to bling on a Superlite, Munga is very tough competition.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:10 pm

munga wrote:
LugNut wrote: I think I can then claim the blingiest Superlite in the Repco Appreciation Society? :)
maybe

ImageImage
ImageImage
Hells yeah, that's what I wanted to see. Hook, line and sinker.
Very, very nice. 8)

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Looks like I've got the big brother of Munga's. Not quite as blingy. Original mix of Sugino, Suntour Superb and Cyclone.

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:Looks like I've got the big brother of Munga's. Not quite as blingy. Original mix of Sugino, Suntour Superb and Cyclone.
Wrong. Should have been Blaze and Cyclone.

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:12 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:Wrong. Should have been Blaze and Cyclone.
You forgot Wolverine. ;)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:23 pm

Someone with more money than sense needs to fit a superlite with Super Record EPS, Clavicula cranks and Lightweight Obermayer wheels with silks.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

munga

Postby munga » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Dan wrote:
Lots of steel bikes wrote:Wrong. Should have been Blaze and Cyclone.
You forgot Wolverine. ;)

whatsinaname

Postby whatsinaname » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:56 am

Just one of mine...one owner bike abt 25 yo i think

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:20 am

kickstand ftw

retrorepco

Victory Tri-A all black frame.

Postby retrorepco » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:31 am

Hey guys,was in need of an old roady and couldnt find what i was looking for at the right price-lots more options in Melbourne. I found an early 1990 Repco Victory Tri-A
in my price range that I could ride straight away so I took the dive even tho it has pink decals and pink cables.
Looking on the internet and here, I havn't been able to see many of the victory for sale in this colour, which is leading me to consider that it might be rare or just no one likes pink cables :D So I need to decide if I should change anything on the bike or replace worn parts with the correct items. Going through all the parts on the bike everything seems to be correct except for a new rear tyre that is a mismatch to the front. I have riden a few mid range peugeots before and the victory certainly feels stronger and was great fun to ride ( at night when no one can see the pink cables and factory pink repco stickers on it.
I don't have a camera on me to take good quality pictures so I will link to an identical frame colour combo that I have.
The item link below- I do not know and have not contacted that person, hope I am not breaking any forum post rules- I am just trying to show what frame I have.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-pe ... 1016789533#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone can give me any information about the rarity of the bike in this frame colour and what I should do with the bike (restore to original or put on updated bits) I would really appreciate it.
Been fun looking through 80 odd pages of Repco Appreciation posts, Repco seems far more popular here than the other brands Appreciation posts.

Cheers everyone.

Kermit TF

Postby Kermit TF » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Bought my first repco last week, for the princley sum of $70, its a large frame olympic 12 with the lovely grey and glorious pink two-tone..
I cant get over the quality of the frame ! :D
Anyway given the paint was faded and not to my liking, Ive stripped the bike fully sanded and its now been sprayed in etch primer waiting for paint ..I assume that this is a 88-90 model ? With overspray on my glasses I someone couldnt see the serial markings ! :mrgreen:
When in doubt......mumble.

munga

Re: Victory Tri-A all black frame.

Postby munga » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:01 pm

retrorepco wrote:Hey guys,was in need of an old roady and couldnt find what i was looking for at the right price-lots more options in Melbourne. I found an early 1990 Repco Victory Tri-A
in my price range that I could ride straight away so I took the dive even tho it has pink decals and pink cables.
Looking on the internet and here, I havn't been able to see many of the victory for sale in this colour, which is leading me to consider that it might be rare or just no one likes pink cables :D So I need to decide if I should change anything on the bike or replace worn parts with the correct items. Going through all the parts on the bike everything seems to be correct except for a new rear tyre that is a mismatch to the front. I have riden a few mid range peugeots before and the victory certainly feels stronger and was great fun to ride ( at night when no one can see the pink cables and factory pink repco stickers on it.
I don't have a camera on me to take good quality pictures so I will link to an identical frame colour combo that I have.
The item link below- I do not know and have not contacted that person, hope I am not breaking any forum post rules- I am just trying to show what frame I have.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-pe ... 1016789533#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone can give me any information about the rarity of the bike in this frame colour and what I should do with the bike (restore to original or put on updated bits) I would really appreciate it.
Been fun looking through 80 odd pages of Repco Appreciation posts, Repco seems far more popular here than the other brands Appreciation posts.

Cheers everyone.
mate, if the decals are in good nick, and you dig the style keep it original. you can always put the original parts in a box and update with ultegra 10speed or whatever. your frame is when vic tri a went from being a very good quality frameset, to something not much better than a basic superlite. personally i don't rate the later frames as much as the pre-87 frames.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:55 am

Repco Decal Appreciation Society?

Once you remove a mass-produced Chaiwanese bikes' original paint and decals, it no longer is what it originally was, and becomes whatever you make it......

The only thing that makes these two bikes Repco's are the original paint and decals.....

.... and I appreciate them for that

And this is sweet.....

ImageImage
ImageImage :)

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Looking to get a Mixte...something like

Anyone know if all the Repco Mixte's were 1020 Frames?
Were there a couple of models?
Was there a higher spec/lighter weight one with CrMo Frame alloy rims, alloy brakes, alloy seat post, alloy cranks, alloy stem, RD hanger on the rear frame tips, drop brakes, were any SIS? and 700C rims?
(Seem to recall seeing a Lotus Mixte with this higher spec...but not a Repco)

Rob

jools

Postby jools » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:15 pm

Not sure about repco but I picked up a Malvern star Mixte from another forum member not long ago. The model says AL12 and it has shimano golden arrow group set. Frame sticker just says chromoly tubing brazed with silver nickel low temperature alloys. Rims are araya, bar and stem are alps and the seat post is an alloy sr.

I couldn't find much info on the AL12 model though. I'm planning on cleaning it up for the mrs to use, although the last attempt to get her on a bike was not particularly successful but I'm hoping this one will be a much nicer ride.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu May 23, 2013 5:44 pm

My Repco Superlite workhorse is finished. I'm really pleased with the way it came out, it's the first time I've used black components and I think it matches the paint nicely. I think this might be the first bike I've built that I'm genuinely really happy with. It's a really fun ride. Swept flat bars work perfectly with the Superlite's relaxed geometry, and 1x8 gearing (40 tooth by 11-34) is plenty for a commuter runabout. Yay or Nay for Repco decals?

Here's the build list for those interested:
Bars Nitto 'Jitensha' ('bicycle') 58cm wide, Tektro levers, Ritchey foam grips.
Nitto Stem, Tange Levin headset
SRAM Rival callipers
7 spd 105 running gear, 80s Sugino cranks, MKS Sylvan 'Stream' (waaay too narrow, going to swap out for regular Sylvans).
Kalloy post, Brooks Professional saddle

Wheels are 105 hubs to Sun Ringle CR18s with DT Comp spokes. First proper wheel build! :)
Tyres are Resist 'Nomad' 28's, super grippy lightweight tyres if you don't mind the occasional flat.
Planet Bike fenders.

munga

Postby munga » Thu May 23, 2013 6:36 pm

winner, winner, tv dinner!
luggers, that looks awesome! time to hand the trophy over to the new king of superlite bling.

Bob_TAS

Postby Bob_TAS » Thu May 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Beautiful steed!
LugNut wrote:Yay or Nay for Repco decals?
Unless they're all black, I'd skip the decals IMO.

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu May 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Looks fab. In keeping with 80s lingo ;)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu May 23, 2013 7:36 pm

That looks fantastic!

I normally find bikes without decals look 'naked' and unfinished, but other than a low key headtube badge I think decals would distract from the quality of the build on that bike.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Aw shucks, thank you all. But really it's just the nice photos. Munga, I think it's a tie for the Superlite Bling trophy, at least until another contender comes along. :wink:
Good call with the Repco decals, echoed my thoughts. Nude & rude it is.

Stu_27

Postby Stu_27 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:48 am

Hi all, just thought I'd share my recently-acquired Repco Traveller; I haven't bothered to check serial numbers or anything but judging from the componentry and condition of the bike I'd guess it's an early-mid 80s model. When I picked it up it was 100% original, down to the tyres and brake pads, so needless to say it needs a bit of love. I picked it up for a good price from a retired bloke with a directive from his wife to clean out the shed "or else..."

Chrome work is pretty much mint, the original foam bar grips are in reasonable condition still, and after a bit of cleaning and re-greasing the BB and freewheel hub both work quite well. I've never owned a roadie before, so I don't have much to benchmark it against, but aside from weighing in at just over 14kg it's a good fun bike to ride!

I have plans! I would like to have the frame powdercoated forest green, get some chromed forks and convert to 700c - if I do that the chances are it'll be going to a cassette hub as well, so there's a bit of learning for me to do as to what I can reasonably expect to achieve. Unfortunately I can't leave it as is, as it turns out the rear wheel (being 30+ year old mild steel) has enough corrosion to prevent it being trued. The front wheel was badly warped so I have already popped on a spare alloy 700c wheel I had in the shed.

munga

Postby munga » Fri May 24, 2013 3:13 pm

lot of time and money to spend on a $100 bike. travellers are bottom shelf

Stu_27

Postby Stu_27 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Oh sure, I totally get that! The whole idea here is so I can learn as much as I can about working with an old bike, and to do so without ruining something otherwise worth preserving. When I bought this I ALMOST ended up with a cotter-cranked Speedwell Streak... Much of a muchness componentry-wise, but I'm quite glad I picked the Repco of the two!

Also a lot of the time, what I ideally want to do, and what I end up doing are two very different things ;)

I'd appreciate any guidance on where to look for "better" bikes though :)

vanbree

Postby vanbree » Fri May 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Very nice work on the superlight lugnut! looking forward to see what you do with the miyata :)