Challenge NME

Low Racer

Challenge NME

Postby Low Racer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:19 pm

Recumbents!! So many varieties and ohh the temptation. Only 10 of this were built and one is offered for sale on BROL. Please tell me don't even think about it.

Chong[/img]

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:54 pm

Okay - you don't need it.

Now, tell us the eBay page so we can buy it, thereby ensuring you don't! :)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:03 pm

I was watching a video on you tube and the guy on this bike did a velodrome time trial with a top speed of 41 m/hr. That's nearly 66km/hr. One fast bike. The owner who is selling it said it is faster than his Velokraft VK2 with a tail box. The price is is USD$3500 + USD$800 postage + GST and UPS custom clearance fee. Probably work out about Aus$5100 - $5500.

If I were to spend that much money what other low racer bike could you think of. M5 Tica??

Chong

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Yeah, TiCa or NoCom. God I love those bikes, but they're too extreme for me.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Bob Henderson

Postby Bob Henderson » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:15 pm

:twisted: I just bought a NME & it's a HELL of a ride! A great lowracer! They should of made more,but that's ok. I'm a chap that's got one. Bob

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi Bob,
You lucky 8) ..... :lol:

They are rare and you must be the only one in OZ (if you are in OZ) to have one. I am sure you are having so much fun on it. Get you posting to 10 and do us a favour .... PICTURES!!!!

Chong

Bob Henderson

Postby Bob Henderson » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:40 am

Well let me break 42mpr. & it may be a video. Soon! BOB

Bob Henderson

Re: Challenge NME

Postby Bob Henderson » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:46 pm

I've been having a blast on my NME......My top speed on this great lowracer is 42mpr. This is pretty good for me. Here is a video......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXbopqj8pZo Cheers Bob

Bob Henderson

Postby Bob Henderson » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:00 pm

Here is another video. This was the first time that I had ever been on a velodrome track and it was just a little scary. Actually.....I was hanging on with all I had around those turns. Now I'm more use to the track and it's no big deal. It's all good now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq3NybmF ... re=related Cheers again......Bob

Crankitup

Postby Crankitup » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:10 pm

Bob Henderson wrote:I've been having a blast on my NME......My top speed on this great lowracer is 42mpr. This is pretty good for me. Here is a video......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXbopqj8pZo Cheers Bob
Might want to change the info on that video from "... 40 mpg" to "... 40 mph".
Neil C.
Bacchetta Corsa '05
Perth W.A.

Bob Henderson

Postby Bob Henderson » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:54 am

Sorry for the typo.

william

Postby william » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Low racers just look so slickkkkk.
I still wonder why small diameter wheels are used when larger diameter is supposed to be faster?
Are smaller wheels less stable?

william

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:22 pm

william wrote:Low racers just look so slickkkkk.
I still wonder why small diameter wheels are used when larger diameter is supposed to be faster?
Are smaller wheels less stable?

william
With the equivalent width and PSI, smaller diameter wheels are fast. There is a small theoretical difference.
No stability loss. They are quicker than larger for changing direction.
Smaller wheels give me a harsher ride over rougher road surfaces, but it could be to do with the 120PSI I am running.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

william

Postby william » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:13 am

I run Pro race 3's and 110psi rear, 90psi front on 650c wheels. These have been the most comfortable tyres for me but still feel harsh on less than good asphalt. Lowering the pressure helps but risky with pinch flats. I've also experimented with the max pressures (115) for speed values but that was horribly rough going. It made my teeth chatter so bad and trying to talk to others sounded awful, like chipmunks. it didn't appear to be any faster either.
There is also a large proportion of European manufacturers that are sticking to the 20 inch format with most of their bikes.
Ian Simms from Greenspeed also mentioned that the same profile of a tire, with the same air pressure, has less rolling resistance when smaller.
In all of this though I haven't seen any high pressure 20 inch by 23mm wide tyres. I can imagine they would make a harsh ride.

william

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:10 pm

william wrote:I run Pro race 3's and 110psi rear, 90psi front on 650c wheels. These have been the most comfortable tyres for me but still feel harsh on less than good asphalt. Lowering the pressure helps but risky with pinch flats. I've also experimented with the max pressures (115) for speed values but that was horribly rough going. It made my teeth chatter so bad and trying to talk to others sounded awful, like chipmunks. it didn't appear to be any faster either.
There is also a large proportion of European manufacturers that are sticking to the 20 inch format with most of their bikes.
Ian Simms from Greenspeed also mentioned that the same profile of a tire, with the same air pressure, has less rolling resistance when smaller.
In all of this though I haven't seen any high pressure 20 inch by 23mm wide tyres. I can imagine they would make a harsh ride.

william
Inflating tyres to about 90% of maximum will give a better ride and faster speed over rough chipseal type road surfaces.
My 28mm/406(20 inch) should not be run under 65psi.
I have not seen any 23mm tyres.
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:08 pm

The smaller diameter wheels also have greater acceleration.
On rough surfaces max pressure can be counter productive not to mention loss of traction and its inherent danger. Another problem is the waste of power bouncing around. There was an article I recall somewhere with particular reference to bents. If I recall it suggested fatter tyres could be faster. Have to see if I can find it again.

John Lewis

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:13 pm

Looking at the NME it seems very limited in turning ability due to the chain line. I cant see it being great on road and guess it is all about racing. Love to see it in the flesh. Seems similar in layout to the NoCom. My big concern would be that in some of this style lowracer there is hard overlap of the cranks with the wheel or so it sees in pictures. Never actually seen any lowracer except my own LWB one.

John Lewis

Bob Henderson

Postby Bob Henderson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:31 am

All I can say for sure is....It's the most fun I've ever had on any bike or recumbent. That's a mouth full to say considering I have a Nocom(that I love!) & also my Windcheetah Hypersport. Bob

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:07 pm

So Bob, How tight a turn can you realistically make? What would it be like out on the road? Is there hard overlap of the cranks on the NME or the Nocom?

And my most important question is : What is the minimum X seam for these bikes. I'm not that tall and some have told me I'd not be able to reach the pedals.

Sounds like you really are having a ball.

John Lewis

Bob Henderson

Postby Bob Henderson » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:28 am

John, For me,the NME & the Nocom are not for in town riding. Oh,I'm sure a rider could do it & I'm sure people do it all the time.....but not for me. I want the open road. I have a ten mile stretch of flat road I train on out in the boon-docks,away from cars. As anyone knows, these lowracers are not known for their great turning ability......but that's not what I want them for....What I want is SPEED!...pure & simple. For anything else I ride my Windcheetah(also fast). Bob

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks Bob, I'm going to have to find someone with a "real" as opposed to my homebrew LWB, lowracer and have a look up close. Easier said than done here hence my questions. I agree I don't think they are meant for round town . I would like to go fast though.

John Lewis

Bob Henderson

Postby Bob Henderson » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:52 pm

It's too bad they did not make more! Bob :?:

AusAce

Postby AusAce » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:10 pm

I commute on my Home brew FWD dual 406 dual chain lowracer. I can do a slow 2 lane Uturn. Tighter without pedaling. I Imagine the NME with no chain management wouldn't do as well. If it bothered someone they could always add an idler. I think a bigger problem with these was the one sided fork flexing.
Lowracer Evangelist\Test Pilot