The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

BianchiCam

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby BianchiCam » Fri May 24, 2013 9:15 pm

What makes that dumb?

Is common sense on holiday here or what?

Jeebus!
Yep, I'm a newbie to the forum but some of the nitpicking is giving me the irrits.
I'm off for a teaspoon of cement before its recommended to me by one of he regulars.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 pm

Absolute lunacy.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri May 24, 2013 9:53 pm

human909 wrote:
Meh. I've held onto vehicles before. No big deal.
Good luck with that Jack.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 24, 2013 9:56 pm

I prefer slipstreaming.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri May 24, 2013 10:04 pm

herzog wrote:
human909 wrote:
Good luck with that Jack.
Funny story, I knew this guy who was a bike courier. He was holding onto a vehicle one day, only his bike got entangled in the truck or whatever it was and he crashed. Along comes a copper and fines him for not wearing a helmet.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri May 24, 2013 10:06 pm

michael_w wrote:
human909 wrote:
herzog wrote:Anyone found a cyclist dumber than this guy?

What makes it so dumb?
Alternatively, what makes it such a clever move? Especially when we consider it's against the road rules
Which one? Not disagreeing, just CBA looking it up.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri May 24, 2013 10:16 pm

In Queensland I'd imagine it would fall under the 2m rule. Not to mention bicycles can not be towed by cars and riders can not hold onto a car.

And a simple google search reveals:
254 Bicycles being towed etc.
(1) A person must not ride on a bicycle that is being towed by another vehicle.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) The rider of a bicycle must not hold onto another vehicle while the vehicle is moving.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.

255 Riding too close to the rear of a motor vehicle
The rider of a bicycle must not ride within 2m of the rear of a moving motor vehicle continuously for more than 200m.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:37 pm

BianchiCam wrote:What makes that dumb?

Is common sense on holiday here or what?

Jeebus!
Yep, I'm a newbie to the forum but some of the nitpicking is giving me the irrits.
I'm off for a teaspoon of cement before its recommended to me by one of he regulars.
+1 Agreed. Sometimes people seem to be too busy trying to nitpick or are missing their saddle and sitting straight on the pole. :o

I would not advocate it as recommended road practice but to claim that it is dumb, idiotic, lunacy or unsafe is clearly not having things in perspective. I could equally claim that riding 0.3m off the real wheel of a cyclist in front with another couple boxing you in side and back is lunacy and unsafe.

People in glass houses should being throwing stones. :wink:

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Sat May 25, 2013 12:08 am

okay, this bloke wasn't a ped, but the incident happened on a shared path, so......

I'm riding toward the city on the Kwinana Fwy shared path (Perth). A road bike is right up my date as I've slowed as I approach the Canning Bridge. I ring my bell like a good boy before I emerge from under the bridge, there are two fishermen on the adjacent river bank on the turn. One has his rod up, looking like he may be about to cast with hook and sinker dangling, but is faffing about with I can't see what. I slow a little more, conscious of the following rider and as I pass he casts, and something hits my helmet. I shout "Gosh mate" or something a little shorter and more in the brown line than gosh. Fisherman shouts "how about you look where you're going", though he may have added a word I can't quote here. I really didn't appreciate the possibility of a hook in my eye.

mind you, added five k's an hour to my speed......

I meet my brother and turn around, as we ride past the fisherman is sitting on the side of the path, his line tangled beyond redemption..... instant karma's gonna get you
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Sat May 25, 2013 12:25 pm

I would have stopped and shoved him in. Blaming you for his stupidity puts him in the upper level of ar$es.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 25, 2013 2:36 pm

Ummm, the bloke who is trucksitting a bus at high speed on a wet road only a couple of metres from a bloke who is skitching the self same bus at high speed on a wet road...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat May 25, 2013 5:23 pm

Come again?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat May 25, 2013 6:37 pm

The bloke with the camera.
Alright, I like a draft (trucksitting) as much as anybody but having some clown getting a tow really close like that is a good reason for a smart rider to sit up for a few seconds and give themself some room if things go pear shaped for the skitcher. The wet road just adds to the Darwinity of the whole situation.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Sat May 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Mulger bill wrote:The wet road just adds to the Darwinity of the whole situation.

Darwinity.

My new word, many thanks...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun May 26, 2013 1:42 am

I feel for the bus driver. If anything goes wrong they will never get it out of their head.

A bit like riding a bike along reserve tram tracks, total lunacy and very nerve racking for the tram driver. When I drove trams we used to dump sand on them.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Watching that fool made me angry.

I lost it with a bus driver who buzzed my R handlebar the other day.
Called him a stupid old c and give me a bit of room and move over next time.
At the top of my lungs through the drivers window with a well patronised bus :oops:

Not proud of the way I delivered the message :( ,bit of adrenaline at the time, but the message was warranted IMO.
To see an idiot like that hanging on and with head on traffic buzzing past him detracts from us asking for space from other road users.
He needs a therapeutic slapping :x
Dogs are the best people :wink:

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Sun May 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Out for a nice Sunday afternoon ride with my son. We were riding along a quiet back street where we had right of way over the side streets (they had dotted white lines), and a middle aged man on a bike rode across in front of us, from the wrong side of the road without giving way. We were already in the intersection when he pulled out! Even my 10 year old said, "gee has he ever heard of give way".

human909

Postby human909 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:29 pm

warthog1 wrote:Watching that fool made me angry.
I find it humorous out of all the injustices that occur to cyclists you get angry over a perceived risky behaviour of one cycling on the other side of the globe.

I personally don't see that as any more risky that bunch riding which has proven itself to be a much more risky form of riding. But i don't get judgemental over all of it.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:09 pm

human909 wrote:.

I personally don't see that as any more risky that bunch riding which has proven itself to be a much more risky form of riding. But i don't get judgemental over all of it.
If that is your belief after watching that video you have either done no bunch riding or your grasp of reality is tenuous at best.
Hanging onto the back corner of a bus inches from oncoming traffic where the speed differential is ~ 100 kmh and the objects travelling the other way have ~15 times the mass. A small deviation from the line of the drivers you are placing your trust in will have fatal consequences.
I have done thousands of k's in bunches without injury. The odds of that being the case after thousands of k's riding like the display in that video are minuscule.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

human909

Postby human909 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:24 pm

warthog1 wrote:Hanging onto the back corner of a bus inches from oncoming traffic ....
You must be watching a different video to me. The vast majority of cases was clearly greater that 1m which is the minimum AGF is campaigning for. The closest were still not that close and the cyclist got to see them coming...

I'm not advocating that behaviour. I'm just sick of people being so righteous on this forum.

Kraeg

Postby Kraeg » Sun May 26, 2013 6:26 pm

human909 wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Watching that fool made me angry.
I find it humorous out of all the injustices that occur to cyclists you get angry over a perceived risky behaviour of one cycling on the other side of the globe.

Crikey... where does one begin with such a failure of a post?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon May 27, 2013 11:59 am

chuckchunder wrote:okay, this bloke wasn't a ped, but the incident happened on a shared path, so......

I'm riding toward the city on the Kwinana Fwy shared path (Perth). A road bike is right up my date as I've slowed as I approach the Canning Bridge. I ring my bell like a good boy before I emerge from under the bridge, there are two fishermen on the adjacent river bank on the turn. One has his rod up, looking like he may be about to cast with hook and sinker dangling, but is faffing about with I can't see what. I slow a little more, conscious of the following rider and as I pass he casts, and something hits my helmet. I shout "Gosh mate" or something a little shorter and more in the brown line than gosh. Fisherman shouts "how about you look where you're going", though he may have added a word I can't quote here. I really didn't appreciate the possibility of a hook in my eye.

mind you, added five k's an hour to my speed......

I meet my brother and turn around, as we ride past the fisherman is sitting on the side of the path, his line tangled beyond redemption..... instant karma's gonna get you
Casting a line near a shared path... :shock: Not very socially aware. :roll:
Glad his line got tangled as karma. Hope he didn't have a spare.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Mon May 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Summernight wrote:
Casting a line near a shared path... :shock: Not very socially aware. :roll:
Glad his line got tangled as karma. Hope he didn't have a spare.
LOL, I've seen people flying kites across a shared path with the strings head/neck height to cyclists.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon May 27, 2013 1:01 pm

Not sure about dumb... This is probably the most appropriate thread.

Commuting this morning, I was following a carbon roadie at a reasonable pace, but didn't have a speedo. On the share path and had passed a few pedestrians. The local bell nazi coming the other way shouts out "bell" and rings his a couple of times. I'm not sure of the purpose of his call. We were both riding on the left after overtaking some peds with some oncoming peds and the bell nazi also on the correct side. Not sure if the other rider had a bell, I didn't - but will have tomorrow, 1st ride on this bike and didn't realise no bell. We hadn't come close enough to anyone that I would have rung anyway.

I have passed this guy before without ringing and he rings his bell several times at me, never a close shave or dangerous either, but its a new one for him warning oncoming traffic! Wonder how many others he's put off cycling.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 27, 2013 1:14 pm

maybe he's a few teeth short of a crank?!