Need some opinion on a bike

vortex1018

Need some opinion on a bike

Postby vortex1018 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:30 pm

I've decided to buy an Apollo Xpert 29s :)
But I'm a total newb so I'm not sure if it's a good idea.
What do you guys think? :D
http://www.apollobikes.com/bikes13/29er ... aCSoED-GSo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Duck!
Expert

Re: Need some opinion on a bike

Postby Duck! » Sun May 26, 2013 11:58 am

Depends what you're expecting to do with it.

As a beginner's bike to get you out on the trails & learn stuff it seems generally OK, the only bit I'm not too sure about are the Clark's brakes; never come across them before. But if you're expecting to get a bit serious down the track (pun not intended), you may find that as you develop as a rider you'll begin to push (and exceed) the bike's capabilities.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

vortex1018

Postby vortex1018 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Ok thanks duck :D

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Clarks work. Similar to Tektro. Not the greatest out there but will definitely do what's needed.

vortex1018

Postby vortex1018 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:16 pm

Good to know :)
Anything I should replace? I think the pedals, grips and handlebars should be fine

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon May 27, 2013 12:08 am

Upgrading to clip-in pedals is a good idea; you have a lot more control when you're actually attached to the bike! Setting the spring tension on the mechanism at its lightest means you can clip out easily when you need to put a foot down, but it's so much easier to pull the back of the bike over things when you can lift it with your feet!

Treat grips as a consumable item; you'll go through a set every couple of years! Especially the lock-on type, which only have a fairly thin rubber layer over the inner barrel of the grip, so you'll tend to go through them quicker than full rubber grips.

The saddle is something you may very well want to change, but ride it for a bit first & see how it goes. Many factory-spec (OEM -Original Equipment Manufacture) saddles are low-end things which leave a lot to be desired in the comfort stakes! Unfortunately there is no definitive "get X saddle, it's great" solution, because everyone is different, and a saddle that suits one person will not suit someone else.

You may want to look at different tyres too, depending on what type of ground you're riding on. Smoother, small-block tread patterns are good on harder surfaces, treads with bigger, more widely spaced blocks are better when the going gets mucky.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Personally don't like the clarkes brakes. My gf has them on her bike and they seem to have less modulation (sudden hard brake point compared to gradual) than tektros. Could be the levers though.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon May 27, 2013 8:11 pm

For grips, ODI Rogues are great. Big and fat, they are a lot more comfortable and in my view give you better control.

WIth clipless, running minimal tension is fine while you're learning and are more efficient, and stop your feet rattling off the pedals in rough terrain. However, for starting out on a mountain bike I'd recommend flats if your trails are moderately technical as it easier to step out of the bike if (when) it goes pear-shaped. I started in clipless, and it held back my skills development and confidence.

vortex1018

Postby vortex1018 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Clip-in pedals sound good, but I've never used them before. For now it's flats for me.
As for the grips, I'll decide when I get the bike since I do'n't know if I like the original ones yet. But right now, those ODI grips look really good to me :P

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 28, 2013 9:37 am

vortex1018 wrote:I've decided to buy an Apollo Xpert 29s :)
http://www.apollobikes.com/bikes13/29er ... aCSoED-GSo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a basic but adequate 29er for a bit of wandering about on less technical trails...like fire trails. The fork is not up to much in terms of travel or performance. The SRAM X5 is OK but not the most durable or fast shifting. The BB and crankset is a weak point - the BB is awful and a replacement is both hard to find and expensive for what they are (I replaced it with a new crankset). The Clark brakes will stop you but again aren't the nicest things to use when compared to others. The wheels are adequate but you might find they'll benefit from a tweak and re-tension as they can be a bit flexy straight from the box.

It's a good basic bike but one that could frustrate you down the track if you start getting into it...value wise it isn't the best proposition.

If you can financially step up to the 0 or better still the 1 then you'll get a potentially more trouble free, much better performing and longer lasting bicycle. I know it's a big ask to go from $700 to either $1,100 or $1,300 but if you went out and bought the S then to upgrade the driveline, brakes and fork to similar spec as the 1 it'd set you back $550 and you'd still have lower spec wheels...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

vortex1018

Postby vortex1018 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:38 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
vortex1018 wrote:I've decided to buy an Apollo Xpert 29s :)
It's a basic but adequate 29er for a bit of wandering about on less technical trails...like fire trails. The fork is not up to much in terms of travel or performance. The SRAM X5 is OK but not the most durable or fast shifting. The BB and crankset is a weak point - the BB is awful and a replacement is both hard to find and expensive for what they are (I replaced it with a new crankset). The Clark brakes will stop you but again aren't the nicest things to use when compared to others. The wheels are adequate but you might find they'll benefit from a tweak and re-tension as they can be a bit flexy straight from the box.

It's a good basic bike but one that could frustrate you down the track if you start getting into it...value wise it isn't the best proposition.

If you can financially step up to the 0 or better still the 1 then you'll get a potentially more trouble free, much better performing and longer lasting bicycle. I know it's a big ask to go from $700 to either $1,100 or $1,300 but if you went out and bought the S then to upgrade the driveline, brakes and fork to similar spec as the 1 it'd set you back $550 and you'd still have lower spec wheels...
Now that I've ridden the bike for a while, I find what you said absolutely true. Now since upgraditis has kicked in, what forks would you recommend?
Thanks

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:05 pm

I'd suggest a fork along the lines of the RockShox Recon. The air spring is a lot more tuneable than a coil, because the pressure is set to suit the rider's weight, and rebound adjustment to add a bit more control. There's also a lockout feature (it's not a fully rigid lockout; RockShox call it "Motion Control", in that it still has a small amount of give when switched on), with options of direct-mount on top of the fork, or remote, with a lever up on the handlebar.

The Recon is available in two levels, Silver & Gold; the silver has aluminium lowers & steel uppers, while the Gold has aluminium uppers (shaving some weight) and possibly magnesium lower (I know older models did, not sure if they still do).

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:14 pm

The Recon Gold with Motion control is a nice fork.

A XC32 is a cheaper "Air" fork. Rockshox XC32 TK 29er Forks - 2013 About $250 posted

Really it would be very easy to over capitalize your bike.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:53 am

vortex1018 wrote:Now that I've ridden the bike for a while, I find what you said absolutely true. Now since upgraditis has kicked in, what forks would you recommend?
The Apollo's are an odd breed these days in that the same frame wears a range of different equipment specs cover all price ranges. So it comes with a RS Recon Gold in the top spec version for your frame.

However, I wouldn't spend more than what is required to get an XC32 unless you can snag Recon Silver or Gold for the same money (not impossible as many bigger shops have them near new as a result of customer upgraditis) . The key thing to watch out for is that fork travel across the Expert range is limited to 80mm so avoid going for anything much more than that and certainly no more than 100mm otherwise the altered frame geometry won't like you...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle