Brisbane Downhill/Freeride/All Mountain

clydesmcdale

Brisbane Downhill/Freeride/All Mountain

Postby clydesmcdale » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:04 pm

I dropped out of cycling years ago after a reasonably big single track crash, cracked a helmet, bent up my hardtail and did some damage to most of the left side of my body. Fast forward 10-12 years and I'm now doing about 2-300km a week on the roady.

So now i'm keen to get back into the dirty stuff, go big and just go 100% downhill/freeride/all mountain. I'm now looking at some full suspension bikes along the lines of the Specialized Status and Giant Glory for DH or the Cannondale Scalpel for a little AM. I really like the idea of shuttling 8) and would probably join a local club and/or get along to some organised rides. I figure if I want to ride up hills I'll use the road bike so not overly bothered with a bike not suited to going up.

Not entirely sure what's around in Brisbane for this type of riding... and it will mostly determine what type of bike I'll purchase. In saying that I'd like to also be able to roll out the door and take in a couple of trails on the way to work. Live in Mt Gravatt (I know i'm not allowed on the trails up there) so maybe via Toohey forest?...

If anyone could advise if just jumping in and going the DH bike route would be sensible around here or am I better off getting something that can get me up a hill before coming down again. Also considering second hand FS bike, so if anyone has a an XL frame with XT/sram X7-X9 that they're willing to part with, let me know.

gerard_griffin

Re: Brisbane Downhill/Freeride/All Mountain

Postby gerard_griffin » Sun May 05, 2013 4:53 pm

i'm kind of in the same boat, get back to what i love doing. i don't have any info for you but i was just wondering if you've got any advise since you posted the forum. Downhill bike or XC which one will i get more use out of?...

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed May 08, 2013 10:50 am

Ended up getting an all mountain bike. Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1. Figured I'd mostly be doing XC type single trails here in Brisbane, but still able to throw it on the rack and take it to the occasional shuttle day and do some more aggressive riding. Not sure I'd ever get the value out of a dedicated downhill bike around these parts.

gerard_griffin

Postby gerard_griffin » Thu May 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Thats one sick lookin bike!!!... that said, its time i went and bought myself a bike. XC it is then...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Dang, too late! I was going to suggest the Cannondale Trigger. I did a test ride coupla weeks ago, wicked bike.

Climbs quite OK especially in short travel rear end mode, but with the short stem descends *really* well.

For that kind of bike and riding, a Hans Dampf on the front is just brilliant. Felt like i was stuck on flypaper.

The Scalpel felt a *lot* more twitchy, like a thoroughbred racehorse.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Sat May 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Had considered the Trigger 29er, but got a good deal on an ex-demo Carbon Jekyll fitted with 650b wheels.

Knew I didn't want a 26inch bike considering my size on the bike, but also wasn't enamoured with the 29ers considering my desired riding terrain. So when I got offered the 650b setup I jumped at it.

Still yet to take it through it's paces, but will report in once I've logged a few miles.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Mon May 20, 2013 10:24 am

Took the bike out on the trails for the first time yesterday. Haven't had so much fun on a bike in years. Loved it. The bike just handled great and soaked up all the bumps and jumps I had the nerve to throw at it. Saved me a couple if time too I reckon. Felt a lesser bike would have had me face planting a few times through my own fault. Love the rear shock switch between 90 and 150 travel. So much fun going down flowy single trails.

Apologies for the crappy iphone pic

gerard_griffin

Postby gerard_griffin » Wed May 29, 2013 5:00 pm

thats the job alright, i finally have the funds together for mine. where in brissy did you get it?... 650B's are awesome

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu May 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Got it from a contact I know that works in a shop in Melbourne. Have had food experiences with Planet and have heard that For The Riders is a decent place too.