Clutch mech

igstar

Clutch mech

Postby igstar » Wed May 29, 2013 10:48 am

I'm only just getting into MTB stuff and I've been reading lately how all these manufacturers (SRAM, Shimano) are bring clutch their mainstream production lines. What exactly is the clutch business all about?

trailgumby

Re: Clutch mech

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Stops chainslap over the rough stuff.

Also increases the resistance felt at the shifter lever significantly.

Not sure what I think of them just yet. It didn't leap out at me as being a Great Leap Forward. Being a keyboard jockey, tendonitis is a risk for me, so I much prefer a light shifter action than a heavy one. If that's the price of stopping chainslap, I'll just switch the lever to "off" and wrap my chainstay in an old inner tube thanks. :)

alf

Postby alf » Thu May 30, 2013 8:43 am

trailgumby wrote:Stops chainslap over the rough stuff.
Fact

trailgumby wrote:Also increases the resistance felt at the shifter lever significantly.
Fact/Opinion

One of the side effects of reducing chainslap in my experience is it also reduced the number of times the chain comes off the chain rings when the rear suspension is working hard. With XT or higher level shifters there is not much resistance at the shifters anyway if your cables are replaced regularly. My opinion is that it is a worthwhile improvement for a full suspension bike.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu May 30, 2013 9:09 am

I have a SRAM Type 2 X9 rear mech which is the clutch type on my hardtail 29er. Definitely less chainslap and easier to change up or down in the rough, chattery ground without missing gears and loosing momentum. Shift quality is the same which isn't a surprise as the mech it replaced because shifting ease is all about the shifter and cable rather than the rear mech. Downside is the capacity to lock the mech out to help get the wheel off is a pain as it can lock up at times or not release easily unless the thing is spotless...or I'm missing a trick!

I'm considering switching to a Shadow + XT rear mech on the full sus 29er but have little to whinge about performance wise with the current non-clutch XT rear mech so not in any real hurry.

In summary...if your current mech is old, damaged or destroyed then it is an idiot proof upgrade. Otherwise, leave the current jobbie in place and ride hard!!!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 30, 2013 9:20 am

Fact. They were both brand new dual suspension bikes, mate.

No argument about reducing the number of times the chain comes off. But since this occurs mostly on rough fast descents, changing up to the big ring does exactly the same thing.

If having to change the cables more frequently just to keep it operating as expected is another cost of using them, that looks like another reason to either give it the miss or leave it turned off (Shimano only).

Edit: These were Shimano XT shifters and Shimano XTR RD, from memory.

Most magazine review commentary comparing to the previous editions makes comment about the increased lever force required to shift to an easier gear.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu May 30, 2013 9:44 am

I wouldn't describe the increased shifting resistance as "significant". Yes it's there, but it's only subtle. Cruddy cables will create more resistance than the clutch does.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

limetang

Postby limetang » Thu May 30, 2013 11:33 am

I would say the increased effort required to shift is about 10% so not something ive even noticed since changing from a standard XT mech to an SLX shadow plus. I always have the clutch turned on and have a nice silent bike on the rough stuff. If you have the latest gen shifters and decent cable routing then go for it I would say. The benefits outweigh the cons (im sure Mr Shimano and Mr Sram wont give you a choice in the future!)

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Thu May 30, 2013 7:33 pm

My new dualie rig has the XT with clutch, it's nice.

Chain slap gone. Any gear, any terrain and your peachy. Nice and quiet.....

Is it necessary, hell no. Is it a great leap forward for cycling, not at all. It's a nice feature though.
*** insert signature here ***