Shorter leg?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
celeste boy

Shorter leg?

Postby celeste boy » Thu May 30, 2013 9:15 pm

Thought I would share this experience. I noticed that I was always getting a rash after riding, particularly on the right side. Didn't worry too much- just put on extra butt cream. But while working on the bike one day I noticed that my seat had worn away on the right side. A discussion at the LBS led me to think that one leg may be shorter than the other.

I made up a 3mm MDF plate to put under the cleat on the MTB shoes and after 1 ride- no rash. Haven't had a rash since. The MDF finally gave in through wet weather and now I have an aluminium plate.

Eventually I will see some sort of doctor and get all this authenticated but it works for me now.

Maybe it's because I'm right handed/ footed and that muscle has developed more?

Hope this helps someone.

CB

ldrcycles

Re: Shorter leg?

Postby ldrcycles » Thu May 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Certainly possible, but could also be that your hips are wonky (which is the problem I have). I think it would be worth checking with a physio.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu May 30, 2013 9:48 pm

Also, check out Steve Hogg bike fit. He sells more robust shims and wedges than the MDF one you came up with (quite ingenious BTW, good work!)
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri May 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Asymmetry is normal. Adjustments for it are not always required, and when it makes sense it can be counter intuitive at times.

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Fri May 31, 2013 2:09 pm

A combination of hatha yoga, chiropractic and a vegan diet will fix the problem.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri May 31, 2013 5:46 pm

ausrandoman wrote:A combination of hatha yoga, chiropractic and a vegan diet will fix the problem.

if I knew it was that easy to grow an inch or two I'd be all over it

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:07 pm

ausrandoman wrote:A combination of hatha yoga, chiropractic and a vegan diet will fix the problem.
This sounds like a bit of role reversal at home?

Who will catch the rats, mow the lawn, change the oil and fire up the barbecue?

CB

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:38 pm

Seriously, stop trying to mislead the poor woman!

Clearly the above is all going to be pointless unless the moon is in its waxing gibbous phase, Jupiter is in the third house, and an approved elder of the buppuguppalubba tribe has been brought in to read the portents in the entrails after sacrificing the goat....

Bloody amateurs...

;-)

scotto

Postby scotto » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Rofl . That's the funniest thing I've read for a while !!

Leg length discrepancy of up to 10 mm can be considered normal. See a podiatrist is my (professional) advice, but it sounds like you've got it sorted.

There's typically not a lot of perfect symmetry in our makeup. As much as the chiropractor would like to see you weekly to correct this, it's how we are.