South East bikeway, Buranda road works

mattridestouni

South East bikeway, Buranda road works

Postby mattridestouni » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:36 pm

Hi, could someone who is familiar with the route alongside the freeway tell me where to go when I get to the Buranda train/ busway stations. There is construction work everywhere and I can't see where I am supposed to go.

Cheers, Matt :oops:

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:52 pm

G'day Matt

I'l assume your coming past Annerley Soccer club and then under the road and heading toward Stones Corner, turning left just before it and going up that little side street and out on to O'Keefe St next to the bus station.

Get on to the road and go down the hill to the roundabout. Turn left and go up Logan Road and follow that all the way and through the bus terminal turning left on to Stanley Street apposite The Gabba. Follow Stanley St down to the freeway. Turn left after you have gone under the freeway and you'll see a narrow path which goes up to the existing path.

This is more difficult on the way home because you have to go down Vulture St and try and go from the left to the right lane to turn right and left again at The Gabba.

If you are confused, I can show you the way as I am at Coorparoo. Just a matter of when. You could phone me if you like and we can both open up google maps or google earth and I can explain it over the phone if you like.

mattridestouni

Postby mattridestouni » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:24 pm

Ok, thanks, I actually follow that, with the able assistance of Google maps. I'm not real keen on it however, I would far prefer to stay off major roads if it's possible until i feel a bit more confidant on the bike.

I have a map of bikepaths I got from the Brisbane city council website (I think) and it shows a path from O'keefe St, in between the freeway and Ipswich Rd. It amy well be the case that the route you mentioned is the best alternative until the finish whatever construction works they are doing there at present.

Alternatively, it looks like I could sneak up Ispwich rd a few blocks, which again, doesn't fill me with excitement either.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:42 pm

I am sorry to say welcome to Newmans Great Vision and the distruction it does to the Bicycle Artirials of Brisbane, Matt. I was under the assumption that the section between Okeef Street and Ipswick road had been re-opened with a bridge crossing ipwich Road. One of the current Co-conveners of the CBD bug is a Southsider and is in constant contact with the NSBT contacters so if you would like extra info on the current status give that a go as well.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:20 pm

Matt

Donald is far more up on what's closed and open than I am. If it is still a choice between hitting Ipswich Rd and the way I described above, then I'd go the way I described above, Ipswich Rd is a mess at the moment.

As for the way home, if getting across the Arc d'Brisbane before the Vulture / Ipswich intersection bothers you just stay on the left and pull up on the opposite footpath, push the button and walk across Vulture St, taking the footpath down to Stanley where you can get back on the road and cross Stanley and back in through the bus area.

This town seems to get worse and worse for us. Getting fit enough to put in the big ones when you need to merge, cross etc. is the key.

There is also a good secret to getting on to Vulture St from Southbank. From the base of the goodwill bridge take the bike path up the rise and get of on to the bitumen before it swings left at the top. Follow this around where it Ts in to a street. Turn right and a few meters down the road is a turn left anytime with care lane on to Vulture Street. When Vulture gets a red light, you're away.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:08 am

Matt

I just drove from Ipswich Rd to Logan Rd down O'Keefe St and can confirm that the bike path is open now. I saw bikes both entering and exiting and could clearly see the path.

mattridestouni

Postby mattridestouni » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:01 am

Yeah thanks, I had discovered this for myself a few days ago. What's more I think it may have been open the whole time I was just blind and didn't see it. :oops:

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:26 pm

Paths we can afford not to see, as we have every right to be on the road. Vehicles twenty times our weight, travelling at four times our speed are the things we really need to see.

How is it all panning out anyway, Matt? Bug still bighting? How are the gear trimming issues from your original thread and any other mechanicals?

My offer still stand if you ever want to start making those regular adjustments.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:50 pm

Thats okay I complained to the state government about the closing of the Riverside Bikeway infront of 'Waterfront Place' when the glass had fallen and the walkway had reopened to weeks before.

So how much of the Bikeway has been reopened?

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

mattridestouni

Postby mattridestouni » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:34 am

The only problem at present between Mt Gravatt and the city is a little 2 block detour just south of the Mater hospital. It's a pretty good run in all the way really.

baarg

Postby baarg » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:23 pm

mattridestouni wrote:The only problem at present between Mt Gravatt and the city is a little 2 block detour just south of the Mater hospital. It's a pretty good run in all the way really.
Yes, it is when you find it, now I can do this blindfolded but it took me a long time to figure out where the hell I was supposed to ride. I also truly dislike the paths on the Greenslopes area, they are all broken and makes it pretty annoying to ride on a road bike. But yea, it's all about getting used to it and then it's all sweet, I know all the traffic control people I think now!
Cheers
Andrea