help identify Felt F100 Bike (have I been dudded?)

rosco

help identify Felt F100 Bike (have I been dudded?)

Postby rosco » Fri May 31, 2013 2:41 am

Hi All,

I've just been to pick up my 'new' 2nd hand bike from my cousin and is NOT what I was expecting (to put it mildly :evil: ).
According to him it's "a FELT less than 12 months old and was purchased for over $1200" (asking for $600).
I figured it must be Felt F75 and thought it would be perfect for build up to Around The Bay again (used a Trek 2.3 last time).
Unfortunately this is not near an F75 and is closer to the first Malvern Star I killed back in the early 80's on my paper round :evil:
he's been reluctant to send me pics or even tell me the lettering (ie model) on the frame...
To make me feel ever better about laying any accusations of being ripped off - he's a police officer. :roll:
Problem is I can't find anything like it (in Australia)... It's a Felt F100 with Sora front and rear gearing (24 Spd).
Alloy frame and forks - sticker on frame says distributed by 'Southcott Pty Ltd' (been picked at?? - restuck??)
It has HJC rims (never heard of them and Don't know where they are from). (rear rim is cracked through & about to split).
It seems to me to be below entry level for Felt (at the F95 - latest model available new for around $950)... I can not find an F100 anywhere (Bikepedia - searched back for years).
can I share an image of bike on here? (can't figure out how to). Anyway it's Black framed (with red, white lettering, Predominantly Black)
The stamped code around the frame on underside of the bottom bracket is MT30702691with what looks like B2O-F across the underside of the BB.

So I want / need to call him out on this but don't know if I'm correct in thinking it's been brought back from OS?? (his recent year+ in Europe)

if anyone can assist in identifying this bike, where the rims would have come from, anything I'd appreciate it.

confused by a cousin / constable whom I trusted???? :?
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

neild

Re: help identify Felt F100 Bike (have I been dudded?)

Postby neild » Fri May 31, 2013 9:10 am

Hi, a quick Google search revealed this on the Evans Cycles page.

Black with some red lettering, Sora 24 speed. No mention of the rim brand but I have heard of HJC before. Not sure of the quality. It's listed here as a 2006 model, so definitely not less than 12 months old!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fel ... 0#features

If this is bike, then based on the age / components / cracked rim I'd say $600 is WAY too much. If you looked on eBay / Bike Exchange then that money can get a pretty reasonable Tiagra / 105 alloy with carbon fork bike that's only a year or 2 old.

Not sure how you'd go, but if I was you I'd walk away. Family may make it a bit more complicated though.

Hope the info / link helps.

Cheers
Neil.
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri May 31, 2013 9:47 am

Southcott are based in Mentone, Melbourne and are distributors for heaps of brands. Felt being one of them. Perhaps contact them?
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri May 31, 2013 10:26 am

As mentioned, Southcott are the Aus distributor for felt. The F100 IIRC was only released in certain markets, and may well have been the type of model that was done through a single retailer as an exclusive model, these tend to be hard to find on brand sites, bikepedia etc.

I assume this is it:

There was also an F100 in 2005, details here

At a guess i'd say the rims are original, as per the link above thats what the 2005 model used.

I would be arguing vociferously that its not a 12 month old bike. 12 months old to him maybe. As for being brought back from O/S, not necessarily. As mentioned above, touch base with Southcott and give them a serial # if you can find one. Not that it would make much difference whether it was Aus sold or not IMO.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

rosco

Postby rosco » Fri May 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks Neil, toppity and im_no_pro... and Yep that is it.. the 2006 F100.

Bizarre that a family member would not supply info requested, (ie. good pics) then lie, cheat, get me to wait two months to pick bike up as he "needs it up until he moves out" (a few days before he leaves) and expect me to pay $600 for something that I will struggle to find any useful parts on let alone sell.

I'm only glad it was a handshake deal and no money has changed hands as I'm a renter on a pension.

It seems like I am right to feel like I've been pissed on from on high and told it's raining by my cousin and a copper and WILL "be arguing vociferously that its not a 12 month old bike" as suggested. Then again I might just say F*#& Y*#(AT) very loudly and often to him.
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

rosco

Postby rosco » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Does anyone know what this bike may have retailed at? - he now reckons he paid $1600 3 years ago 2nd hand. :?

I know that if he did he got ripped off but what would peeps reckon it's RRP may have been back in 2006 when it was new?

thanks in advance :)

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:44 pm

If you haven't paid any money, get out now. It doesn't sound like he's trustworthy. There are plenty of good bikes for that money which you can inspect before paying.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

rosco

Postby rosco » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Cheers MREJ,

Don't worry - I'm out... and I've learnt a lot from this experience.

on the bright side I know I actually am after a more endurance / touring road bike like the Trek Domane 2.3

In the recent past I've had a Mongoose Pro randonnuer (great bike which saw most of NZ) and more recently a trek 1.5 with compact crank set up (bought 2nd hand for Around The Bay then sold on).

The sound of the geometry on the Trek Domane makes me think I'll get the best of both worlds touring / road racing at a reasonable cost (cost is a major for me).

any thoughts on the Domane 2.3 or is the 'endurance geometry' just a saleable terminology? or for that matter RRP of the Felt F100 7 years ago?

cheers

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Wow...your cousins a lying dick...someone had to say it

That is a disgusting story, glad you realised before money changed hands

boss

Postby boss » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Might have cost $1000 new. Second hand maybe worth $300-500 depending on condition.

Personally I'd steer clear of it and take note that your cousin is a liar of dubious character. Steer clear of him too..

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:01 pm

Why are you getting all upset? You haven't paid any money for it. For all you know your cousin got ripped off as well. He may know nothing about bikes as well. It's obvious that a quick google revealed all the info you needed and would of stopped you slamming your cousin on a forum. Just contact the guy and tell him what it is and what it's really worth and see what happens.
Last edited by singlespeedscott on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:12 pm

rosco wrote:he now reckons he paid $1600 3 years ago 2nd hand. :?
He may well have, but as you pointed out if he did he got ripped a new one. Bit like this - seller has relisted multiple times now but from memory their original opening price was around $1500, which is more than what it would have been new. I'd be surprised if they get $500 for it. Some people think their things are worth more than they really are (some knowingly, some not so much). Same goes for buyers. When you get one of each together, someone gets ripped off.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

rosco

Postby rosco » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Why are you getting all upset?
The main reason I guess is that his story changed from "$1200 new 12 months ago" (we've been discussing this purchase for over 2 months) to "$1600 2nd hand 3 years ago" in the space of a couple of days.
That and the fact that when I went to pick it up (in the 6 day window offered to me - his place being over a 3 hour return trip into the city for me) the rear wheel was off due to a flat tyre with skewer removed and he insisted he'd left it like that "for easier transport" (I had told him I had bike racks on roof)... query - why would anyone give you two spare tubes, pump & the tyre changing tools rather than repair it and offer you a spin around the block?
To me that's just lazy, rude and a little disrespectful. Don't like the fact that this rim is cracked and about to pop either.
But then again maybe I have just got an authority figure problem from a young bloke who looks down his nose at me because "I've led a colorful life" :shock:

rosco

Postby rosco » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:11 pm

BTW. that is a horrible deal on that 'Fuji' and yes you are right and I take note that...
Some people think their things are worth more than they really are (some knowingly, some not so much)
...but like Lady Macbeth said "What's done is done. Cannot be undone"