How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Summernight

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Fri May 31, 2013 2:23 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Felt like carp though as I spent the night trying to expel my lungs, just cannot get rid of this virus (over 2 weeks now). Internal debate about attending tommorrows group ride has commenced..
I've had the cold that's been going around (it may be the same one you have even if you are over in Perth) for 4 weeks. I think I'm finally getting over it. It isn't nice. Hope you get better soon.
jasonc wrote: take care summernight. make sure you give the bike a good checking over on the weekend.
I did a check at lunch and only the brifters are scraped and the saddle has a little little scrape on the leather at the side. Otherwise the bike doesn't look damaged. Not that I know what to look for if there are major issues. :oops:

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri May 31, 2013 3:21 pm

Summernight wrote:I've had the cold that's been going around (it may be the same one you have even if you are over in Perth) for 4 weeks. I think I'm finally getting over it. It isn't nice. Hope you get better soon.
Sounds like mine. Can't decide if it was a home grown Tassie one or something I picked up when in Perth. At any rate it's a little over 2.5 weeks and still hanging on.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri May 31, 2013 4:16 pm

Summernight wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:Felt like carp though as I spent the night trying to expel my lungs, just cannot get rid of this virus (over 2 weeks now). Internal debate about attending tommorrows group ride has commenced..
I've had the cold that's been going around (it may be the same one you have even if you are over in Perth) for 4 weeks. I think I'm finally getting over it. It isn't nice. Hope you get better soon.

Four weeks, yow!! Hoping you get better sooner- I am only half way there...

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Fri May 31, 2013 4:40 pm

It is Friday and yep, after sending the last work email today, I jump straight to my commuter bike, head straight home, wife saw me coming and asked me 'where is your car?' Uhhn oh, an excuse for a night ride, lol!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri May 31, 2013 8:19 pm

I was feeling good tonight, despite towing the little boy to daycare this morning, so decided to have a bit of a go at the end of my commute a 1.6 km segment along Victoria road - down the hill, across the Iron Cove Bridge & up the other side - knocked more than a minute off my previous best, including waiting 20 seconds at the lights. Average was 30 km/h so it still leaves me 1:20 off the KOM & back in 190th place, but I am happy to finally be seeing some improvement.

edit: just noticed there is a shorter 500m segment of just Iron Cove Bridge - I managed 43.4km/h so fairly happy with that - 119th out of 1212, so top 10% :lol:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri May 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Dropped my trusty BBB 1W light about 200m from home...just slipped right put of he holding strap and clattered off someplace. I had a look around, but didn't find it :( new flasher to be sourced!

Jim

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:56 am

I'm back! But not really. I have not been here for more than 6 months, and I have not commuted by bike since early December. Today I returned to commuting. But I have an entirely new commute route. In fact I have an entirely new country to commute in. In December I relocated to Singapore. All you people out there getting ready for winter...I wish. Summer all year round is not quite as good as you might think.

My commute is now only 14km, but what a thrilling ride. I didn't get too many 5 and 6 lane roads in Sydney, and when you have to cross to the other side, or move to the middle lane because the road splits...now that's a rush. I have ridden the route before, but never during peak hour. The traffic was busy but I was not buzzed too closely, no one appeared angry, and the ride itself as pleasant as one can be in 100% humidity. If only the ride home was the same. It rained in the afternoon, but it seemed to have cleared. Usually one strong rain period and the rain goes away. Not today. Half way through the ride it rained. And boy, did it rain. The good thing is the humidity falls and the rain cools things down. But riding becomes more of an adventure. But I'm happy to report that I made it to and from work despite the conditions.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:44 am

Kalgoorlie :

First day away and started with a ride (AT) 5 this morning. Brett. It was brass monkey weather. I intend to do the same tomorrow though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:45 am

Summernight wrote: On a similar note, back to this morning's adventures: On the corner of Spring and Collins/Macarthur I had my first proper fall. :cry:
Hope you've recovered from your misadventure with those plastic humps! I've inadvertently crossed them on McArthur as well, turning right across the tram lines, luckily without incident.

Straight home on Friday afternoon, nothing eventful.

This morning I was a bit apprehensive about riding along the Darebin Creek Trail after the weekend's heavy rains in Melbourne.
Decided to go for it anyway, but proceeded with caution. This was just as well, as the paths were a mess, with debris and mud in several locations.
Notably, a massive chunk of bitumen, at least a 1.5m section in one piece, had been lifted up from a section of the path that climbs from creek level to street level at the underpass at Dunne St, and washed down over the path. Just had time to hit the brakes and lift the front over. Had to walk the rest of the underpass up to street level.
Further down, there was a matress on the path :shock: - at least that would have been a soft landing had I hit it.
The wooden bridges were atrociously slippery with debris and I felt my rear slide on several occasions.
All up, an intense ride in the early morning darkness.
Am attending a tech certification course in St Kilda Rd from this morning til Wednesday, so will ride down there later. This also means that I'll be leaving a couple of hours later than usual in the afternoons, so mostly likely the rides will be in the dark too.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:16 am

Beautiful if somewhat chilly morning, no aggro from drivers and a couple of commuter cup scalps. Good way to start the week!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:56 am

after 2 days off with a sick family was good to be back on the bike this morning. clear skies, not too cold. good to be back on the bike.

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:10 am

I still feel like crap from this cold that I have had for nearly a week. Still feeling lethargic on the bike. Was rugged up a lot this morning and my nose was like a tap.

Had an idiot on a motorbike scream up on my left this morning in order to get past me, how dare I take up a lane. Now that I know what the bike sounds like, if I hear him again at this particular section of road I am going to either lift the left arm up nice and straight as he is just about to past or veer to my left. It was a dangerous move I felt by this motorbike rider.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:38 am

Motorbike riders - don't you just love when they undertake you with a roar? :roll: I had one undertake me while driving home from shopping yesterday evening. He gave me a shock.

Friday night's commute was a bit sore - I couldn't really stand up in the saddle but sitting was fine (thanks I believe to the road bike forward position). I made it home just before the heavens opened and Melbourne got dumped with oodles of rain. The thunder was spectacular. Checked the bike over on the weekend and there is a sizeable chip out of the cable positioning thingy on the right front fork (it sticks out from the frame and clearly got the brunt of the fall in addition to the brifters). :(

I was driving along a road beside the Yarra on Saturday afternoon near the MCG and the amount of debris floating down the river was amazing. I definitely wouldn't have recommended rowing or kayaking on it that day! The MYT under the Gipps St bridge was also apparently flooded. I didn't do my usual Monday morning run due to the backside/tailbone telling me it'd pain me for the rest of the day if I did so couldn't see whether it was still flooded but if not the amount of mud that is left behind is icky (and slippery).

The pelvis/behind/tailbone is getting better after the Friday fall. Friday night I couldn't get out of the car without pain. Saturday was similar and the horse ride was just a walk around and after about 40 minutes the behind started burning so that was the end of that. Good news is I rode on the Sunday without the dull pain returning but couldn't do more than walk the horse. It was a terrible day anyway weather-wise so no tears lost over the lack of being able to properly train and keep his and my fitness up.

Anyway, I felt slow on the ride in this morning. The 'arch nemesis' was back too. I usually pass her on the flat but didn't do it today until after the hill (with the help of some traffic lights). Everyone behaved themselves too and the clouds only spat on me a couple of times.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:48 pm

Friday was pretty intense wasn't it? Started raining fairly heavily as I got near home and really opened up just as I was putting the bike away. Lucky I didn't do the extra bit I normally do or I would have been caught in it.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:01 am

Late ride back via MYT and Darebin Creek trail was challenging. Mud all over the place, path closures etc. Will give them a miss until things have been cleaned up and I can check it out during daylight hours.
Rode in via upper Darebin Creek trail, which is clear, then down St Georges to avoid the mess on the lower creek paths.
Pretty hectic schedule at the moment, so the slightly shorter rides will help with time as well.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:36 am

first morning wearing leg warmers for the year. feet have finally thawed out.

EDIT: forgot I had an interesting one this morning. just after leaving home I see a guy with his gloves off using his lights looking at something on his bike. I pull over and offer assistance. Turns out he'd dropped the chain. In his haste to get it back on he did the ol'put it in the big ring trick. unfortunately, a chain saver (!) got in the way. he'd bent the chain saver further over. tools offered but they didn't help. crank will have to come off to get the chain back on the rings. he had a 2km walk home. bugger
Last edited by jasonc on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:59 am

Were I not trying to get rid of a chesty cough it would have been a great morning for extending the ride this morning. Sun breaking through and shining on the opposite side of the lake, slightly overcast, the lake was as smooth as it gets, very little traffic, cars on the road or peds on the path? A little cool, but once I'd warmed up it was fine, I even noticed when I got to work that I hadn't put the overshoes on but feet weren't cold. Certainly glad I didn't have to ride on Sunday, was filthy winter weather. Hope this mornings weather is more common this winter.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:04 am

Nice morning for it in Brisbane today. Went with leg warmers, ss jersey and a gillet. I prob need to get some arm warmers too. I don't cope with the cool that well.

No PBs on the river loop, but set a decent pace and then cruised to work for a long hot shower. Lovely!
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

LM324

Postby LM324 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:50 am

Slept in again and nearly decided to take the bus instead but I ended up riding. Lots of other cyclists today. I must be leaving the house too early, the later I leave the more cyclists there are on the roads!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:54 am

Well very happy, did some stretching for my low back (still having problems) and my gosh did i make a big difference, knock 10seconds of my time to work, so fastest time so far in 6 months

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:43 am

The derriere was aching this morning. Probably due to the morning swim prior to the ride. I tried to push off the wall a couple of times with the left leg when starting a new lap and the pelvis said 'no way'. Then it was noticeable on the ride and ached a bit at the start of the morning but has now subsided. I felt faster than yesterday which was a nice feeling.

No issues on the road either, even with the taxi doing a right hand turn in front of me when he should probably have waited. Good thing was I was in front of all the cars so could hop out of the Collins St gutter bike lane and go on the RHS of the single lane to go around him. You just get used to doing that in the CBD...

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:03 am

Feeling better after using the long weekend over here to help recover from this head cold. Still not there yet but a lot better.. This mornings ride in was beautiful weather wise and lots of people out commuting. But why oh why do people overtake you (at the same speed you are doing) then 50-100m up the road hit the brakes in front of you and turn off, forcing you to take evasive action. I have had at least half a dozen guys do this (including one CCR event where the guy overtook two of us who were doing 40-45km/h then literally pulled over, hit the brakes and turned off, this guy got a few choice words from us BTW). I enjoy a good CCR but this bloody mindedness to overtake to win is dangerous. Sometimes I feel like a grumpy old fart and I am not even 40 yet. Having seen two cyclists hit head on at a combined speed of >70km/h I prefer to not take the risk.

ray

Postby ray » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:47 pm

BrisVegas wrote:Nice morning for it in Brisbane today. Went with leg warmers, ss jersey and a gillet. I prob need to get some arm warmers too. I don't cope with the cool that well.

No PBs on the river loop, but set a decent pace and then cruised to work for a long hot shower. Lovely!
Commuting for the 1st time in 2 and a half weeks - been sick and soft due to the cold. It was a chilly 10 degrees. ss base layer, ls jersey, wool knicks, spring/winter socks and double gloves (assos under gloves + some wool one on top)! Was nice and warm but don't seem to get the gloves right - fingers frozen all the way to work due to the wind chill :( Should have packed my thermal gloves as well bit silly considering I have a pannier and room. Not often needed in Brisbane.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Yeaterday I had a ciggy flicked at me on my commute and the missus had a unprovoked bogan attack on her on her way home. Generally people are pretty relaxed out our way so that's unusual.

Could state of origin inspire testosterone fueled aggression from the Neanderthals?

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:03 pm

First commute of the week with my new Sony Action Cam, :D