Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Jonno

Re: Online Purchases - good and bad experiences

Postby Jonno » Fri May 24, 2013 3:43 pm

Ordered a new wheel from wiggle on Sunday - arrived yesterday.
Ordered a work stand from from T7 last Tuesday - still waiting!

FatBoyWannaBeThin

Postby FatBoyWannaBeThin » Sat May 25, 2013 7:56 am

Ordered three parts from wiggles on 21/05/13, two arrived yesterday (24/05/13) with one on back-order, saw something else I liked and requested that be added to back-order and they said fine dispatching that before back-order and now back-order has been dispatched. Awesome service and three day delivery time from point of order is incredible......Aussie Post could learn something from this.

ab012

Postby ab012 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:05 pm

have ordered a couple of things from cell in the past few weeks. After putting the order in at night/early morning all items unfailingly were in the courier's hands ready to be delivered to my place by the afternoon (whether I was there to receive is a different matter 8) ) - impressive stuff.

jzr

Postby jzr » Mon May 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Good result from CELL. Placed a group order with some guys from work around 10am last Thursday, dispatched later that day - arrived in Adelaide Saturday morning and delivered by Couriers Please first thing today. Dead impressed - we used a voucher which took care of the postage as well so even better.

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Mon May 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Summernight wrote:
Ross wrote:
celeste boy wrote:I received the phone call on my mobile today from 'customs' who said I was over the $1000 on an order. Asked if that included postage and I said 'yes'. Was that the right thing to say?
he said he would have to work out the GST and he would get back to me. That was 6 hours ago!
I guess I have been lucky with groupsets but wheels stand out I suppose.

CB
Shouldn't be any duty payable on wheels, though they don't always know their own rules as I bought 2 sets of wheels and was charged duty (+GST) on one but not the other. I think you will be liable for GST though. The amount of GST is based on the cost of the goods plus postage as AUbicycles has pointed out already so yes you did the right thing.
You can ask for a refund of the duty if you were incorrectly charged it on that one occasion. If you have the details and even if it was a few years ago they should still give you the refund if you follow it up with them. Of course, whether it is worth your time is another factor. :)
I would really like to sort this out for myself and for other purchasers, so any advice here would be appreciated. My experience is purchase of wheel value =$1182 with free postage. I was contacted and told I needed to pay $194.69 to allow it to go through customs. That's 17% and I'm sure the GST hasn't gone up yet.
I think it would be a good idea if Wiggle and others helped us out here. Their links are not very helpful but I guess we are only a small market here.

CB

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon May 27, 2013 1:57 pm

celeste boy wrote:I would really like to sort this out for myself and for other purchasers, so any advice here would be appreciated. My experience is purchase of wheel value =$1182 with free postage. I was contacted and told I needed to pay $194.69 to allow it to go through customs. That's 17% and I'm sure the GST hasn't gone up yet.
I think it would be a good idea if Wiggle and others helped us out here. Their links are not very helpful but I guess we are only a small market here.

CB
Found this while searching from our own Admin:

http://www.bicycles.net.au/2010/08/ulti ... as-orders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Refund application link still works although other links have been updated by Customs so don't work.

And: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/shortTariff.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bicycle wheels: Tariff code: 87149200 Stat code: 07

Somewhere in their rabbit warren of documents it says bicycle wheels are duty free:

See here:
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resou ... CW2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (page 5)

EDIT: request a break-down of the ~$194 fee they have quoted you. Only they will know where they got this magic number from and whether they have incorrectly charged duty on the wheels.

boss

Postby boss » Mon May 27, 2013 2:29 pm

Bought some gear Friday afternoon (our time) from Rapha with a 10%-off refer a friend coupon code. I got their rain jacket and a cap, so free shipping kicked in.

Dispatched by Rapha 4pm Friday afternoon London time (12:30am Saturday Morning CST).

Cleared customs 11am morning (Monday) and with delivery driver 1:30pm this afternoon.

A lot can be said about the price of Rapha stuff, but heck, their order fulfillment is second to none.

Edit: just arrived = 2:25pm Monday.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon May 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Wiggle shoe order. Ordered Sun 19th, Delivered to Canberra Sat 25th

Wiggle wheel order. Ordered Wed 22nd, Delivered to Canberra Mon 27th

Happy face :).....except the shoes are on their way back (wrong size on my behalf) :(
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

open roader

Postby open roader » Mon May 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Excellent experience

Velossimo Kft in Hungary - Europe - Official Bottecchia distributor for Hungary. Operated by Mives Gabor, a genuine vendor of quality bicycle framesets and other cycling related merchandise. As seen on eBay, however, I dealed directly with Mives privately (not on eBay).

Once I had decided which frame set I wanted my order to the Bottecchia factory was made rapidly and my frameset (fully trackable) was dispatched to me propmptly - arrived in good time - My genuine Bottecchia frame was delivered safely to my P.O.Box. all the way from Hungary. Original factory sealed frame box was unopened / untouched, the frameset is beautifully finished. The discounted price offered was generous (paid in Euros) Mives is a good listener, fast communicatior and a no nonsence operator - willing to negotiate on price and offered me contacts to genuine past customers as referees prior to me purchasing.

10/10 overseas online purchasing experience.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

cyclebee

Postby cyclebee » Mon May 27, 2013 10:02 pm

Recently bought from Wiggle and c r c for the first time. Quick processing and despatch. I'm impressed.

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Tue May 28, 2013 5:42 pm

I ordered some Brake parts from Jenson USA, Thursday night, last week. They were in the letterbox today! (Tuesday)

Thought I'd be lucky to see them this week - Pleasently surprised!
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 30, 2013 4:08 pm

mate wanted a light. he bought one through http://lightscastle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
turned up in 10 days. bloody tiny light putting out a stupid amount of lumens

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu May 30, 2013 6:23 pm

rebilda wrote:I ordered some Brake parts from Jenson USA, Thursday night, last week. They were in the letterbox today! (Tuesday)

What was the shipping costs like?

Last time I looked the were horrendous
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Thu May 30, 2013 9:04 pm

Rear light arrived today- the free one with the magazine. It's bright all right! Can you see it from where you are because it's too bright to run in the house!

CB

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Thu May 30, 2013 10:16 pm

celeste boy wrote:Rear light arrived today- the free one with the magazine. It's bright all right! Can you see it from where you are because it's too bright to run in the house!

CB
Ditto. I blinded the wife when i turned it on in the kitchen :lol:

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri May 31, 2013 7:50 am

HAKS wrote:
celeste boy wrote:Rear light arrived today- the free one with the magazine. It's bright all right! Can you see it from where you are because it's too bright to run in the house!

CB
Which magazine?
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri May 31, 2013 1:58 pm

Purchased from Evans Cycles last Friday, dispatched Saturday, arrived today.
Awesome.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri May 31, 2013 6:00 pm

bike24 order and Total Yycling order both placed 13/05/13. bike24 arrived today 31/05 - fairly typical 2 weeks for DHL from DE to AU.

Total Cycling order? Only left N.Ireland yesterday - 30/05. All items were stock.

:roll:

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri May 31, 2013 11:16 pm

jcjordan wrote:
HAKS wrote:

CB
Which magazine?
http://www.subscribetoday.com.au/magazi ... /bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ab012

Postby ab012 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:41 pm

purchased various items from pushys.com.au recently - all shipped within 1 day (and delivered 1st business day after shipping). Nice~

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:13 pm

8pm last night(Friday) I placed an order with Prenda's. By 1am our time it was packed and awaiting Royal Mail collection. At 6am, when I checked, it had been received at the International Mail Centre and was "being prepared for despatch abroad".
I'll be keen to see how it goes from this point,
Andrew

sdnelson19

Postby sdnelson19 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:08 pm

HAKS wrote:

CB

mine arrived yesterday.. it's bloody bright but the gold colour doesnt match my bike at all..

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:30 am

sdnelson19 wrote:
HAKS wrote:

CB

mine arrived yesterday.. it's bloody bright but the gold colour doesnt match my bike at all..
I got the Red one. Can't complain, goes with most bikes.

macski

Postby macski » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Ordered front light from Pushys on Tuesday morning, it arrived 8.30 am Thursday morning. Pretty happy with that :)

rebilda

Postby rebilda » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:11 pm

jcjordan wrote:
rebilda wrote:I ordered some Brake parts from Jenson USA, Thursday night, last week. They were in the letterbox today! (Tuesday)

What was the shipping costs like?

Last time I looked the were horrendous

not outrageous....I think it was about $20.

My main reason for going with Jenson was I could buy all the parts I wanted, in one go (one x shipping charge). The Avid, brake calliper rebuild kits also included a new piston, where others I looked at were seals only.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2