Where to to take the boys riding in Brisvegas?

ValleyForge

Where to to take the boys riding in Brisvegas?

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:42 pm

My 9yr old and his mate are at me most weekends to take them riding. We've done two 10k rides (them on 20 incher BMX'ers) along Kedron Brook, but I'm looking for somewhere new.

They are not really safe on the road as they talk too much & stop concentrating on where they are going.

I'm going to take them to the Wetlands near Chandler, but I'm keen to hear of any other suggestions for decent rides on paths.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

jaffaman

Re: Where to to take the boys riding in Brisvegas?

Postby jaffaman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:36 pm

Bondall to nudgee beach is a good one. http://www.mustdobrisbane.com/outdoors/ ... _cycle.asp

Actually that site has quite a lot of nice looking rides, but the boondall nudgee one is the only one I have done with 9 yr olds.

chisel

Postby chisel » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:13 am

You can do Sunnybank to Norman Park on 99% bikeway (or good footpath). A few hills in there though. Or to Southbank instead of Sunnybank (decide at Stones Corner).
Or Wishart/Eight Mile Plains up to Cannon Hill along the creek and bikeways there.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:15 pm

If you live near the train line and have a spare kidney to pay for fares these days you could train to Toombul/park at the shops and then ride Toombul station to Boondall station via the Kedron Brook Bikeway/Boondall Wetlands Bikeway. Try not to go early morning or late arvo as there are no pathway lighting and because you'll fill up on bugs that come out once the sun sets :P

If you want to ride a bit further you can make a day of it and have lunch at Nudgee Beach and have a little wonder around the boardwalk through the wetlands or even walk on the beach. There's no pathway for the final section but if you go along Chaseley street you won't see a car all day.

There is also the Sandgate Pier to Woody Point pier bikeway section so you could choose many points to ride (Shorncliffe-Brighton and return/Clontarf-Woody Point and return/Brighton-Clontarf and return etc). There are some take away seafood shops and Cafes at Sandgate and at Woody Point so you can easily stop and grab some hot chips or sandwiches along the way if you decided to carry minimal and get some lunch. Like the Sandgate-Woody Point bikeway part there's also the Redcliffe bikeway part aswell from Woody Point to Scarborough so you can mix and match what sections you'd like to ride.

Woody Point - Scarborough: http://goo.gl/maps/X0VA9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sandgate - Woody Point: http://goo.gl/maps/kBiyY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Yep, as above, Sandgate to Woody Point on the bike path is very nice. Or the boondal Wetlands. Or both! I rode Redcliffe - Sandgate - Wetlands - Toombul yesterday and really enjoyed it. It's a bit narrow in spots, but as long as you have a bell and keep to the left you should be fine.

Coro Drive & South Bank paths might be an option too, albeit with more traffic.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks for all the responses!

Glad neither of the boys are on the forum as they will have booked up every week-end for me. Looks like I'll get a few extra km onto my Saturday morning long ride.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:20 pm

Well, being school holidays, I took the boys (8 & 9yrs) from Shorncliffe to the fishing platform halfway across the Houghton highway bridge. Would have happily made it all the way if not for the impending rain clouds.

And boy did they love it - all 16km of it. What I can't believe is my Garmin said average power was 19 watts! :lol:

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:04 am

There's also the Ferny Grove rail trail, go to the end of Lanita Road, head up what looks like a driveway in front of you, you will see the start of it from there. Nice short ride in the bush.
Long day's journey into alt-bars

Abby

Postby Abby » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:39 am

Yep, can recommend teh Bulimba Creek trail - starting from Murarrie Crit Track, and then head as far south as you like (to Eight Mile Plains at the end...). Goes via Minnippi Parklands, which has an excellent playground as well...

My kids love that bike trail, we do it often... :)
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:57 am

Abby wrote:Yep, can recommend teh Bulimba Creek trail - starting from Murarrie Crit Track, and then head as far south as you like (to Eight Mile Plains at the end...). Goes via Minnippi Parklands, which has an excellent playground as well...

My kids love that bike trail, we do it often... :)
What's the best way to bypass Pacific Golf Club? I do it with my 2 in a trailer heading north from Broadwater Park. Last time i climbed the hill on Pine Mountain Road from south of Pacific to Creek Road and it was very tough with the weight I was puling.