Wire strung across whole road width - Gladstone

The 2nd Womble

Wire strung across whole road width - Gladstone

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:03 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 324&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cat Newell ▶ Safe Cycling Australia
CHEATED DEATH IN GLADSTONE QLD. My husband and I train 5 to 7 days a week (between 200km and 500km) to compete at a National level at major cycling races in QLD, NSW and VIC. We try our best to consider other road users when training by using road shoulders whenever possible and getting up at 3am to avoid most of the traffic and using routes that avoid peak traffic times.
While training on my road bike this morning I hit this on Kirkwood road at around 4.30am, doing about 45km/hr. My husband, who was in front of me made it over it (just), but it bounced up and I instinctively swung out towards the middle of the lane and just manage to jump my bike over it too. There was a car coming up behind me, but luckily for me it was a fellow cyclist (Sean V) who had slowed down and moved over a bit to pass us safely. Someone had stretched a traffic counting cable across the road and tied it halfway up a guide post.
There are more road cyclists in Gladstone now than ever before and the number is only going to increase. Central Queensland has produced more National and World Champion cyclists than any other part of Australia, but most of them have left the region because the lack of infrastructure.
Please, PLEASE make Gladstone a more cycling friendly community!!! Before someone gets killed.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

KonaCommuter

Re: Wire strung across whole road width - Gladstone

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:41 pm

Wow

And THIS is the result of the vitriol the media runs for cheap point scoring to remain relevant.
2012 Oppy A4

MREJ

Postby MREJ » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:37 pm

I'm glad you're not hurt! You should tell the police. Perhaps the media as well.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:17 pm

:evil:

Def tell police

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:46 pm

Crap!!!

Glad Cat and her other half were OK. That coulda been really nasty.

I hope that they not only untied the tube to clear the road but cut it into chunks too small to be reused.

Would I be right in guessing that the laws in Qld forbidding mantraps have an extra clause: "except #bloodycyclists"
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:11 am

I do hope this was given to the police and made mention of in the papers. There has been the same done to motorbike riders to, with serious damage done to riders. :x

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:30 am

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/ ... /s327.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Queensland Consolidated Acts - CRIMINAL CODE 1899 - SECT 327
327 Setting mantraps
(1) Any person who sets or places any spring gun, mantrap, or other engine calculated to destroy human life or to inflict grievous bodily harm, or causes any such thing to be set or placed, in any place with the intent that it may kill or inflict grievous bodily harm upon a trespasser or other person coming in contact with it, or sets or places any such thing in any such place and in any such manner that it is likely to cause any such result, is guilty of a misdemeanour, and is liable to imprisonment for 3 years.

(2) Any person who knowingly permits any such spring gun, mantrap, or other engine, which has been set or placed by another person in any such place and in any such manner that it is likely to cause any such result, to continue so set or placed in any place which is then in, or afterwards comes into, the person's possession or occupation, is deemed to have set and placed the gun, trap, or engine, with the intent aforesaid.
In NSW, max penalty is 5 years.

It's a criminal act, even if no-one is injured. 100% report it to the police - they need to start patrolling the area.
Anyone stupid and vicious enough to do this kind of thing might just be stupid enough to be caught. Or to have
been seen by someone - so try to get the local press interested, with a comment on the criminality of it.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:52 pm

I saw a bit of rope or summat tied to a road sign and laying on the ground around Mackay recently, and wondered if some numb nuts was setting mantraps. Luckily, the next 4WD is never far away there, so nothing would survive long.
It made me aware of the need for good lighting though.
You have officially become your parents.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:54 pm

MREJ wrote:Perhaps the media as well.
NO! The last thing we want is to publicise this, because it will only generate copycat behaviour.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:23 pm

rkelsen wrote:
MREJ wrote:Perhaps the media as well.
NO! The last thing we want is to publicise this, because it will only generate copycat behaviour.
I do have to agree there. Police first. It has been reported to them and I think TMR as well.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves